finally found a Dr. to prescribe diazapam need help to cross over from lorazapam

[gr...]

Hi, I finally found a Dr. who prescribed me Diazapam today so I can cross over from lorazapam. Unfortunately her calculation of the conversion is way off, not just from the Ashton manual but also from the online calculations.  She told me to take 1mg V  per day. she claims this is equal to .25 mg of lorazapam. Way off...  So I asked her about crossing over from lorazapam gradually, and she told me I did not need to do that, but if I did, she told me to take .125mg of lorazapam in the morning and take .5 mg of Diazapam at night. Can someone please help?? I want to get this right...  Thank you :)

What is your current daily dose of Lorazepam and what are your dosing times?  Also, how many pills of Lorazepam do you have left and what dose size are your Diazepam pills and how many did she prescribe?

Hi Pam, I am currently taking .125mg of lorazapam in the morning and .125mg lorazapam in the evening . I have about a months supply of lorazapam left.  She prescribed me 2mg of diazapam. 30 pills.

Looks like you should be taking 2.5 mgs a day, I wonder if you could get away with only taking 2 mgs a day, some say the Ashton equivalency tables are a bit heavy.  Did she give you any refills?

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Didn't pick up my script yet but I have a follow up with her in 2 weeks. Not sure if there is a refill, seems these Drs. like stringing you along so you have to continually come in for an apt. to get a refill.. So more than likely there is no refill.

Following up in 2 weeks sounds good, this should give you a good start to your crossover, are you going to follow your gut on this or her recommendation?  I guess what I'm asking is, is she the kind of doctor who will allow you to tailor your taper to your needs, even if that means taking more than the equivalent she suggested or will she hold the line?  I'd like to see you do this right and not taking enough Valium isn't the right way to start so I'm hoping you'll take what you feel you need and when you follow up, ask for more so you can continue to taper at the rate your body requires to stay functional.

If you're uncertain then it might be better to wait on the crossover until you can speak with her again but by that time, we'll have prepared you with more documentation to convince her that a symptom based crossover and taper is the best way to care for her patient.  See how I'm already trying to work her?  :laugh:

Hi Pam, Yes I was thinking of doing it my way. The dose she is recommending is too low. I think I will have terrible withdrawals if I follow what she has recommended. I called her office this afternoon, but she had already left for the day. I left a message and the receptionist called me back and said she would relay my concerns to the Dr. tomorrow morning, so hopefully she gets back to me tomorrow and agrees to let me do it my way. If not I am back at square one. I just want to get off of this lorazapam, I am getting such bad interdose withdrawals and I feel like hell  all day and night long. She also prescribed Gabapentin, which I told her I DO NOT want... I wish she would just give me the correct amt of diazapam and keep the freaking Gabapentin.... I told her the last thing I want to do is become dependent on another drug.  Thank you for your advice Pam. I really appreciate it!! :)

I can see you're a strong person and very good at advocating for yourself so I have no doubt you'll get your way.  :thumbsup:

I think doctors are so used to patients who just want a pill to fix what ails them that they're surprised when we don't want the adjunct drugs that may help but typically create more problems.  Then of course there is the problem of drug seekers who make it more difficult for those who truly want to be free of these drugs but just need the right amount to do it properly.  :(

Just wanted to wish you the best for this crossover. I know you've been holding your taper waiting for this appointment to get the Valium.

I truly hope your doctor gets on board with prescribing the right dose!

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Didn't pick up my script yet but I have a follow up with her in 2 weeks. Not sure if there is a refill, seems these Drs. like stringing you along so you have to continually come in for an apt. to get a refill.. So more than likely there is no refill.

The 'stringing you along' is one of the many reasons I was so happy to finally let benzos go.  Many docs are making people come in for monthly appointments now.  Of course they bill for each visit.  Years ago I was able to mail my Klonopin script off to Medco and get a three month supply in the mail (!) for heavens sakes ... those days are loooong gone!!

Hi Kate, Wish it was like that today!!  Would make things much easier and cheaper!! lol....  These Drs. want you to come in every 2 weeks which gets somewhat expensive after awhile. Then they want to put you on more drugs, so it never ends!! Such a racket.... :)