Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Is small fibre neuropathy due to cold turkey possible?

[ra...]

4 years back, after quitting 0.5mg of K (which I took for 6 months), I started noticing burning palms/feet (amongst a whole list of other symptoms). To this day, I still have severe issues relating to burning pain all over my body to the point where I'm in blinding physical pain 24*7. The small fibre punch biopsy test showed that I had significantly reduced small fibre density in my extremeties. Neurologists are confused as they couldn't identify any other metabolic/auto-immune/nutritional causes. I was given Pregabalin/Gabapentin/Cymbalta but none of these work well enough (didn't try Cymbalta because of horror stories). I don't even know what to do anymore. Should I just assume that quitting Klonopin cold turkey has friend my nerves and live the rest of my life like this (Cause I know for a fact alcohol can cause this and benzos are similar to alcohol in some respects)? Is it possible to actually have permanent damage to these nerves while coming off quickly or is it possible that some other rare phenomenon is at play? Anyone else here with a positive test for Small Fibre Neuropathy?

Hey there!

Well, I didnt get the hole punch test.... It was literally the only one I didn't do, lol. Because at that point I had already done soooo much, my neurologist was like "well you can do the test or just try treatment for it and see"

So I opted to try treatment. I had the same list of meds you said above, as those are the ones used for neuropathy. With the addition of amitriptyline. We all know I got lucky by using just 10mg of amitriptyline. I chose it because at such a lower level it cannot even act as an AD, and there was no way I was trying any of the others. So essentially on paper  I'm treated for SFN.....do I really have it? I don't know? Maybe? Cuz it looks like you do!

In any case ..... I still have risidual nerve stuff, mainly in my legs, but it does not stop me from doing anything.

Also, it's been 2.5 years off and I still take the 10mg, and I have no idea if I will ever quit it at this point

I do wish there was something for you!!! Have you looked at some of the supplements that are good for neuropathy?  Or any alternative means?

Hey, based on the number of replies I guess it doesn't really cause SFN. I guess something else must be going on then. Some sort of a rare autoimmune thing.

I believe another Buddie, named Lockie was diagnosed with SFN and opted for treatment.  He gave an update this past fall about it on the protracted board. 

I had this specifically in my hands and feet for 6 months, it was painful and felt like I had been leaning on hot concrete with my hands and wrists. I had stopped ativan cold and an ssri and it started a month later.  It just went away but now I have burning in my arms and legs at times still, especially when I'm anxious but not constantly like it was.  I thunk it was from the drugs, all my autoimmune was negative as well.