Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Burning sensation in chest and throat - is it withdrawal? Anyone else have this?

[Gr...]

Has anyone else experienced a burning sensation in chest and throat? It's hard to describe but the best I can describe it is like a toxic poison being released from my stomach, up into my lungs, and up into my throat. It actually feels like fizz that is bubbling up from my throat. It is very distressing, especially as it increases in intensity between doses (or perhaps I just feel is worse because of interdose withdrawal. PLEASE can anybody let me know if they have experienced this? I am scared about whether this will go away because it's hard to tolerate. At least if I know it could be a withdrawal symptoms, then I can tell myself that it isn't going to last forever.

Thanks so much

Grace

Hi Grace,

I am so sorry you are dealing with the burning.  It could be reflux that is pretty common with wd.  Have you tried any kind of antacid, eating bland food?  I have a terrible time with stomach and esophagus burning.  You might want to get it checked out if it doesn't ease up.  I had mine checked and they didn't find anything.

Again I am so sorry I know how uncomfortable it is and scary.

@[Di...]

I'm trying not to feel discouraged but sometimes it just feels like one type of suffering after the other. I get out of the pan and just go right into the fire!

I'm sorry to hear you have had trouble with the burning, too. At least I know it's not just me. Thanks for the solidarity.

Grace

Hi Grace,

You are very welcome.  This is a journey that I don't think any of us would have chosen for ourselves.  What I consider a bland diet for myself are no creamy sauces, acidic foods, fried, bbq, spicey, soda, etc.  I drink water and decaf tea.  I thought about decaf coffee but I read that it still contains acid.  I limit chocolate, I know I love it too.  Supposedly peppermint isn't recommended it relaxes the esophagus then will allow acid to back up into it.  I chew alka seltzer gum it helps a little but I haven't really found antacids to help much.  Some people chew on a piece of ginger but I couldn't do it too strong.  Sadly I don't think there is much that will help I've tried everything I can think of.  I have also read that you should eat smaller meals several times a day.  I hope you can find something that will help you. 

I understand...all of the symptoms are horrific.  I truly believe we will heal sometimes it sure doesn't feel like though.  My worst symptoms are anxiety and the burning stomach.

Hang in there you are not alone.

Hugs❤

Thanks so much I needed to hear that. I needed some kind of encouragement so God bless you

Grace

Thank you Grace.  Prayers for you.

Has anyone else experienced a burning sensation in chest and throat? It's hard to describe but the best I can describe it is like a toxic poison being released from my stomach, up into my lungs, and up into my throat. It actually feels like fizz that is bubbling up from my throat. It is very distressing, especially as it increases in intensity between doses (or perhaps I just feel is worse because of interdose withdrawal. PLEASE can anybody let me know if they have experienced this? I am scared about whether this will go away because it's hard to tolerate. At least if I know it could be a withdrawal symptoms, then I can tell myself that it isn't going to last forever.

Thanks so much

All the things diandeedee said.  Also, you can try sipping on a high ph smart water as that can help neutralize the acid. 

Grace

Thanks so much

All the things diandeedee said.  Also, you can try sipping on a high ph smart water as that can help neutralize the acid. 

Grace

Thanks Hearmerohr...I hadn't heard about the water it will be worth a try.

I get acid reflux and also have throat issues too without any seeming external or dietary changes or causes. I have a very bland diet due to massive food sensitivities caused by the effects of benzos. After years of looking for reasons, I just accepted that it’s a withdrawal symptom, it comes and goes with withdrawal cycling.

What I have found is that certain foods to provoke a burning stomach and I try to stay away from those - there may be something in your diet that you’ve become sensitive to. You may want to keep a diary of what you’re eating (and pay mind not just to the foods but the ingredients and seasoning) and see if you can see a pattern.

I learned about a year ago that onions and garlic give me terrible pain so i’ve had to eliminate those. Eliminating foods that i’m sensitive to definitely helped, but as I taper I still find I have episodes of acid reflux, stomach and throat pain, even though I eat the same diet almost every day.

I get acid reflux and also have throat issues too without any seeming external or dietary changes or causes. I have a very bland diet due to massive food sensitivities caused by the effects of benzos. After years of looking for reasons, I just accepted that it’s a withdrawal symptom, it comes and goes with withdrawal cycling.

What I have found is that certain foods to provoke a burning stomach and I try to stay away from those - there may be something in your diet that you’ve become sensitive to. You may want to keep a diary of what you’re eating (and pay mind not just to the foods but the ingredients and seasoning) and see if you can see a pattern.

I learned about a year ago that onions and garlic give me terrible pain so i’ve had to eliminate those. Eliminating foods that i’m sensitive to definitely helped, but as I taper I still find I have episodes of acid reflux, stomach and throat pain, even though I eat the same diet almost every day.

I agree with everything you said.  I especially have a problem with onions and garlic.

Thanks for the validation.

I have the burning stomach and chest too, it's my worst problem right now. 

I'm the one who suggested chewing ginger.  It doesn't take it away, but it can help settle your stomach and get the food moving in the right direction instead of backing up into the esophagus.  It also helps with my depression, believe it or not. 

Another thing that helps me is acupressure.  The points that relate to digestion are very helpful.  Just look for Youtube videos on acupressure for indigestion. 

Supposedly peppermint isn't recommended it relaxes the esophagus then will allow acid to back up into it.

I have read this also. I suffer with something called LPR (silent reflux).

Does this occur mostly after eating and drinking Grace or is it more random? Also, try not to eat or drink 3-4 hours prior to going to bed.

I have never come across anyone who cannot eat onions and garlic! I get bad cramps if I eat those and always thought I was very weird. So it’s good to find others…..not weird after all. I can eat leeks and use those instead of onions. I add a little mustard, horseradish or Worcestershire sauce for flavour instead of garlic. It will be interesting to find out if we can go back to eating onions and garlic post benzos? Healing wishes to all.