Posting online about valium

[...]

Hi

I found this posting online and would like to know if anyone has any thoughts about it. I agree it’s ones persons perspective without scientific fact but wondering if anyone has any information that would agree or disagree with it

DG on August 16, 2019 at 1:46 am

FIrst off, let me just say that nobody should ever be forced to cold turkey or taper off any medication to fast, be it a stimulant, ssri, or benzodiazepines.

On a personal note, I think the severity one goes through during benzodiazepine tapering or cold turkey is all relative. For example, clonazepam, is just as good if not safer and more effective than using diazepam as a taper. Both being long acting benzo’s except with key differences. Clonazepam comes on more subtly, has a much longer duration of action, whereas diazepam is a bit trickly. It comes on fast like xanax, but also has a very short duration of action(therapeutic window) This is important for many doctors to understand as although diazepam stays in the system, is extremely lipid soluble, therefore less duration of action by binding to organs and tissues unlike other benzodiazepines. It breaks down multiple active metabolites of other benzos(temazepam to name one), THE VERY fact diazepam last as long as it does in your system compared to the actual therapetic window is concerning. It is why for those who choose to do slow tapers maybe using diazepam whether it be young or old in those with compromised livers, or other co morbid psychological/physical disorders(memory issues, balance problems, tinnitus, vertigo, etc.. this benzodiazepine from my non professional opinion should not be used. I recognize and respect Professor Ashton for her work but it’s been years, and with that being said, I wonder if what she knew then would differ in whether to use diazepam or instead prefer a longer therapeutic one, with strong anti-convulsant properties like clonazepam. IT also is not nearly as lipid as diazepam, thereby does not have it’s metabolites sticking around in your CNS and peripheral system for weeks, even for slow metabolizers even months, potentially leading to tissue, organ damage. I could go on, but I understand people like me all have different opinions on this subject and did not come here to hurt others, be insensitive or start any argument. I was prescribed diazepam 20mg daily for severe generalized anxiety. While it was effective and I did not need to ever up the dosage, as I personally never build a tolerance towards it’s anti-anxiety properties. That being said, I found out my liver enzymes were elevated possibly due to the valium. I switched to clonazepam, and did a 4 week taper. Used effexor during this time to upregulate my serotonin and norepinephrine levels the diazepam could have suppressed. I have been off all benzodiazepines for over a year now and feel much more clarity(energy, alertness, executive functioning and better sleep patterns)

You’re welcome.  I think the author of the post would have benefitted from reading the scientific paper I referenced and/or consulting with a pharmacologist.