Want to go cold turkey

[Do...]

I want to go cold turkey as I am tired of the repeated pattern of running out of pills.

I am afraid I will get severe panic as happened last time.

I am due to pick up my pills soon, but I just don't want them.  I will keep running out and going through withdrawals.

Tapering isn't working.  The only way to quit is have none in the house.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Do...]

• [Pa...]

• [Be...]

• [Pe...]

Some of us are incapable of tapering these drugs, would your doctor be willing to supply you with an anti-seizure medication just to be on the safe side?  I would strongly suggest you have family or friends with you if you do this to make sure you're going to be okay.  You may not need to worry about seizures since it looks like you've quit cold turkey many times when you've run out of pills but it's good to have a plan in place to be safe.

I have family to go cold turkey with thanks for your reply.  I only slept an hour with no pill.

I can't get anything from my doctor.  He won't give me anything, but the pills.  I have quit several times cold turkey with no seizure just fainting.  The longest I quit for was 14 days.

It's my first night cold turkey

I slept from 9pm to 11pm to 12am and 1am.  I have been awake for three hours and can't sleep.  All I could think about is wanting a pill to relieve my suffering.  I hope I sleep better tomorrow.

You're doing great, I know you want sleep but you're going to be okay, your body will sleep when it needs to.  Try to keep your eye on the prize, you'll no longer be a slave to these pills, you'll be able to sleep on your own, restful and satisfying sleep, not the shallow chemical sleep you've known for so long.

Thanks Pamster.

I feel really tired from being up half the night.

It is really cold where I live and has been snowing off and on since Christmas.  It is in the 20s so it makes it hard to do anything.  I hope I sleep better tonight.

I was tempted to call the walk in clinic at 8 to get some pills so I could sleep tonight, but I'll just get in trouble as my doctor limits what I can get.  There are no buses running today because of the snow.  I will have to take a cab to town being tired.  Thanks for your replies.

I know what you mean about the cold, I've got thermal underwear on and wearing boots in my house with thick socks, you should dress in layers to stay warm.

Here's the deal Dom, you're not going to sleep tonight and that's okay because this is what it takes to be free.  Accept right now, right this minute that you're not going to sleep tonight but you are going to rest and that's a good thing.  Sometime during the night you may lose a few minutes of time and it will surprise you but this is actually your body getting the rest it needs to survive.  You won't feel rested by any means and you'll be miserable tomorrow but your body will be functioning and doing all the things it needs to keep you alive.

Don't be afraid of not sleeping, this is what the drug has done to you, its made you its victim and it's time to break free of the fear it has instilled in you.  I understand this fear, I had it too but once I accepted that not getting much sleep wasn't a big deal, I was able to break free. 

Your body knows how to sleep but you've crippled yourself by reaching for a stupid pill that has brought you nothing but misery, all you have to do is set your body free to do what it knows how to do, I have confidence this is your time Dom, you're finally ready to reclaim your life.

Thanks pamster.  I went out in the snow in a cab to town.  My brother's girlfriend got mad because I hung up because she wanted me to help her when I was detoxing.  She yelled at me through my brothers phone.  I apogized to her as I didn't mean to hang up on purpose.

Yep, its a miserable time, most of us here know exactly what you're going through but look how many of us have survived and thrived as a result of this suffering.  One second, one minute, one day at a time is all it takes to do this and you are. 

You're out today doing what you need to do even without the sleep you crave so you're functioning and you can continue to function with very little or no sleep.  You can do this!

I am feeling horrible from the cold turkey from lack of sleep.

I have a job interview on Monday and don't know if I can go not feeling well.  I have some anxiety.

I'm sure you feel awful Dom and I'll tell you up front, you'll probably feel this way for awhile longer so it might be a good idea to postpone that job interview because that will just put stress on you and give you an excuse to find pills and take them.

Acceptance that you're going to experience anxiety is important but realizing it can't hurt you is crucial.  Acceptance that you're not going to sleep is important too but as I mentioned, it can't hurt you either.  You're going to feel rotten but freedom from this drug is going to make you whole again.  Freedom is going to improve your relationships, it's going to allow you to sleep and work and feel like yourself again.  I'm excited for you!  :)

You need to tell your brother's gf to get lost.  She's abusing you and you need to stand up to her.  Tell your brother to make her cool her heals.  Last thing you need while you're trying to get off the pills is stress for that woman.

This is my second night with no pill.  I slept for an hour at 7, but am still exhausted.  I feel stressed out because my brothers Girlfriend is nasty.  She said she didn't want me to get up at 5 and have coffee and told me to go to sleep as she's tired.  The snow is a foot and supposed to snow again tonight.

I am going home on sunday if I can get a ride with the snow roads.  My stomach has been acting up from the withdrawal.

I didn't eat much today as it's hard to eat withdrawals.

Thanks for your replies.

You made it through another night, this is great news, I'm so relieved to hear this because I'm invested in your success.

I know how miserable you are, this is really hard to do but you're doing it and each night you face without the drug is leading you freedom.  I know its difficult to eat but try to keep food in your stomach, eat small amounts and often to keep your strength up.  Your body is working a little harder than usual because you're not getting adequate rest so you want stay healthy.

I have gone 2 days with out a pill and three night.

I had anxiety and called 911, but they wouldn't come.  All I can think of is wanting a pill.

I decided to tell somone I had anxiety that could help me.

Dom, if you're not able to eat drink some protein drinks like Ensure or something like that.  You can buy them at grocery stores or health food stores, and possibly the local convenience store sells them too.  I couldn't eat when I got off the pills and had to drink protein shakes all the time.  I used to buy the powder at the the health food store and then mix it with some milk and drink that.  Tell your brother's gf to stop abusing you.  You don't deserve.  You need to ignore her.  Just keep telling yourself to calm down. 

I have gone 2 days with out a pill and three night.

I had anxiety and called 911, but they wouldn't come.  All I can think of is wanting a pill.

I decided to tell somone I had anxiety that could help me.

You've done great Dom, except it concerns me that you called 911, I hate to think of you going to the hospital and being put on drugs, it's important to let your body heal from them.  Who did you tell you had anxiety, and I have to ask, are you trying to get this person to give you a pill?

I slept an hour more.  I have pain in both sides and feel like collapsing.  It is 440am and I don't know what to do.

I am afraid I damaged my organs from taking to much tempazapam before I went cold turkey.  Also, I have been taking 3 over the counter sleep medicine and your only supposed to take 1

I don't believe you can damage your organs by using benzo's. It is more likely that since there are neurons everywhere in your body, what you are feeling is part of your withdrawals. If so it is your body repairing itself.

Cold turkey three days.  I slept four hours of broken sleep.  I kept falling asleep all day I was so exhausted.  I realized the only thing I looked forward to was getting my pills when I was out every two weeks.  I am tempted to pick up my pills, but I don't want to go through withdrwal again.  My anxiety was so bad yesterday that I called 911, the pharmacy, and several walk in clinics trying to get pills for the extreme anxiety.  I am feeling anxious now.

Dom, what 3 OTC sleep aids are you taking at the same time?  I would think it would be better to just take one.  It's possible those 3 sleep aids you're taking at the same time are interacting with each other?