Burning sensation in chest/throat after cold turkey of ativan

[Sa...]

Three months ago I stopped a low dose of ativan that I had only been on for three weeks. I've had many of the more common symptoms, but one of the worst has been GERD like symptoms, burning in my chest and throat, after eating or even drinking water. I've lost a ton of weight as well. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it occurring? Thanks!

I didn't have burning but I had an elephant sitting on my chest for a long time, I lost a lot of weight too, mostly because I was nauseous.  I'm sorry to hear you were on the drug for such a short time but are suffering so far out.  The good thing is most short time users recover long before those who took the drug for longer. 

Hopefully other members will stop by with some reassurances but for now I wanted to point out that Professor Ashton mentioned these issues in her manual.

Digestive problems. Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with "irritable bowel syndrome" (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Thank you.!This is helpful and validating.

It's my belief that the state of my nervous system and health at the time of stopping is the reason for my intense and prolonged reaction. A big shock to an already challenged nervous system.

Thanks again!

I see in your introductory post that you've discontinued Ativan in the past with a better result, I thought I'd mention that many of our members have said the same thing, there is anecdotal evidence on the forum that it can get more difficult each time we start and stop the drug.

Yes, was short and low dose the first time also but this time was even less so thought I'd be ok.

Thank you again. Happy healthy new year!

I didn't have burning but I had an elephant sitting on my chest for a long time,

.[/i]

Same here Pam. Let me ask you something about the elephant sitting on your chest. This is a horrible SX of mine. How long did this take to resolve for you after you got off the drugs? Was yours like constant, all day long? Describe the feeling for me if you don't mind as best as you can recall. Thanks--

This may well be a symptom of withdrawl that will pass but if you have not had it checked out with your doc, please consider doing so.  If this is GERD, some simple treatments may help.  Prolonged reflux can be tough on the esophagus since it wasn't designed to tolerate continuous bathing in the acid that the stomach produces.  But more importantly, I would think it prudent to rule out a cardiac problem just to be on the safe side.

I didn't have burning but I had an elephant sitting on my chest for a long time,

.[/i]

Same here Pam. Let me ask you something about the elephant sitting on your chest. This is a horrible SX of mine. How long did this take to resolve for you after you got off the drugs? Was yours like constant, all day long? Describe the feeling for me if you don't mind as best as you can recall. Thanks--

Its tough for me to recall specifics and timelines, my memory is terrible and it was almost 15 years ago and who knows, maybe I've blocked some of it out!  :laugh:

I think some people call it air hunger, it was chest pressure that made it impossible to take a deep breath and the more I couldn't take that breath, the more I wanted to.  I don't remember it being constant, I think it was like every other symptom, if I focused on it, it was there, if I distracted I wasn't as aware.

I don't remember when it left, I know it wasn't my last symptom to leave.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kate,

It was getting better but has flared up a bit again lately. All my systems are sensitive right now so I'd like to avoid procedures but may have to take a look in there if it doesn't improve.

Yup I’ve been having dull burning “things” in the chest in the earlier months post short term Ativan CT. Now at month 4-5 I get the heart flutters that also feel like heartburn sometimes, but a lot less general burning sensation or air hunger.