SSRIs

[Ac...]

Can anyone summarize the pros and cons of SSRIs during benzo recovery?

I'm currently med free and 9 months off.  I haven't handled any prescription meds well during this time, but I'm having a hard time and wondering if it's worth trying an SSRI.  I don't really want to try more psych meds after being burned by K, but just having a hard time.

From my perspective, for all that that is worth, its as simple as this. It should help you feel less depressed and anxious. It won't stop you having waves. But it should make the ambient, general anxiety and depression a little less unbearable or constant. But don't be surprised if the first couple of weeks are pretty rough.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat and I am so close to breaking a pill into 4s, but even that may be a bit high.  Unsure. I have zoloft and I have prozac. If you decide to try please let me know.

Some people do well on antidepressants during this.  Some don’t.  But, you never know until you try.

I would just be careful.  Start with a dose much lower than the lowest available dose to see if you can handle it.  If you do, then you can start increasing.  I tried 2.5mg of Lexapro once (half the smallest dose) and it nearly sent me to the hospital.  Basically in a state of terror a couple days.  So, beware.  Just for reference, I used to take 20mg of Lexapro with no issues back in the day.

Oh wow, that doesn't bode well for me.  I've been pretty sensitive to meds.  I tried Lexapro before benzos and didn't handle it well.  I don't remember the dose, but it was low and I didn't sleep the first week I was on it so backed off.

I don't think I have it in me to try a second kind if the first one isn't a good fit.  Sounds like I need to just gut this out. 

Thanks for sharing!

Some people do well on antidepressants during this.  Some don’t.  But, you never know until you try.

I would just be careful.  Start with a dose much lower than the lowest available dose to see if you can handle it.  If you do, then you can start increasing.  I tried 2.5mg of Lexapro once (half the smallest dose) and it nearly sent me to the hospital.  Basically in a state of terror a couple days.  So, beware.  Just for reference, I used to take 20mg of Lexapro with no issues back in the day.

How are you doing in your being off?

• 2 months later...
Be carefully. There are rat studies that show SSRI's cause heart valve damage. Heart valves are regulated by serotonin...

Accidentaldependent, have you maximized all the things that are known to help depression - regular exercise, sunlight exposure, healthy diet, regular sleep, no alcohol, social interaction, etc?  Maybe look at your lifestyle to be sure you are doing what you can to improve you mood. But if you do try an SSRI, I suggest you start with a very low dose and go slowly as you increase it.

Accidentaldependent, have you maximized all the things that are known to help depression - regular exercise, sunlight exposure, healthy diet, regular sleep, no alcohol, social interaction, etc?  Maybe look at your lifestyle to be sure you are doing what you can to improve you mood. But if you do try an SSRI, I suggest you start with a very low dose and go slowly as you increase it.

For sure.  The only two lacking are sleep bc of benzo insomnia and sunlight bc of living in the Midwest USA during the winter.  I can tell on warm sunny days or days where I've gotten good sleep I am better. 

. It's been 3 months since my last post on this thread and one of those months I was feeling pretty well healed, although another of those months was pretty bad.  I think given that, and my new fear of drugs I'm going to stay totally drug free instead of messing it up with an SSRI