HeartMost checking in on my insomnia

[He...]

Hey all,

I wanted to update my mini success story but I can't find it.???

I started my taper from 4mg Xanax on May 1st, 2021 and ended it Oct 28th, 2021. I have been off Xanax for almost 2 months. I got no more than 3 hours of sleep from May 1st to August 10th, often only getting zero to 2 hours. I had my first 8 hour night August 10th and it has been on and off since then. I average about 4 to 5 hours a night. I had a zero night about 9 days ago, so I still have some extra hard nights. It has been said that healing is non-linear and I agree with that. All my symptoms besides insomnia have resolved. I hope those of you who are struggling with it find hope in my mini story. I still have a ways to go to be getting 8 hours every night. I am not fully healed but I have come a long way.

I wish you the best! TheWay is right when he says "Sleep will return!" it is just painfully slow for many of us. After getting my first 8 hour night August 10th, I thought I'd be healed by now and I am not.

Merry Christmas! I'll check in soon.

HeartMost

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys:) I appreciate it. Last night was around 5 to 6 hours. Hoping for another 8 hour night soon.

Merry Christmas!

HeartMost

HM,

You are doing great at only 2 months out.  Some are still in acute WD at that point

All of my symptoms left except insomnia around month 9 - 10, so compared to what I experienced, you are

well on your way to getting your sleep back

Don't be surprised if you get some bad patches of sleep here and there mixed in with some good nights

It will all even out over time

Happy New Year!

Hi theway2,

Thank you for the gracious response. I had my first 3 nights in a row of 7 to 8 hours of sleep. I know I am not fully healed yet as I just had 4 hours of sleep the other night and zero hours less than 2 weeks ago. I can't wait until I am sleeping 8 hours (or more!) every night. Congratulations, again, on your healing!

Happy New Year to you too!

HM

Hi theway2,

Thank you for the gracious response. I had my first 3 nights in a row of 7 to 8 hours of sleep. I know I am not fully healed yet as I just had 4 hours of sleep the other night and zero hours less than 2 weeks ago. I can't wait until I am sleeping 8 hours (or more!) every night. Congratulations, again, on your healing!

Happy New Year to you too!

HM

Congratulations on 3 nights of 7-8 hours...that's literally fantastic.

Here's the thing, if you had 3 nights in a row of 7-8 hours at 2 months off, you will have them again (and more), so if you hit some poor nights of sleep in the future, hold onto the fact that those good nights will come again and keeping coming! :thumbsup:

I struggled with not understanding that after sleeping well for a week or two and then getting hit again with some poor nights....

You are doing great!  :thumbsup:

I am so happy to hear this! I just wanted to let you know that your post is very refreshing to read during this process. Congrats on your successful taper!

I’m hitting the insomnia wall lately. I’m glad you are doing so well after a successful taper! I have a question because I am also tapering Xanax, and I was at 4 mgs daily at the start as well. I’m sorry if I’m not understanding your signature regarding your taper, but I am curious; did you go from 4 milligrams a day right to a much lower dose immediately or am I just having a brain fog and not understanding how you tapered? I’m just quite honestly inspired by your post and it gives me hope because I was on that dose when I started to get a serious taper going and lately I am just feeling very defeated, so seeing this is really encouraging to me.  :smitten:

Hi Machka,

I hit tolerance at 4mg and the Xanax was actually causing me anxiety and serious problems so, out of fear, I dropped my initial dose dramatically and went from there. I might have been better off taking longer to taper but, as I said, Xanax was causing me problems, so I ended up going fast. Couldn't live with it and couldn't live without it. I am very blessed that I was able to get off in 6 months doing a liquid taper. Many people take much longer to taper and that is fine too.

I wish you the best of luck! Keep in touch.

HM

Congratulations on 3 nights of 7-8 hours...that's literally fantastic.

Here's the thing, if you had 3 nights in a row of 7-8 hours at 2 months off, you will have them again (and more), so if you hit some poor nights of sleep in the future, hold onto the fact that those good nights will come again and keeping coming! :thumbsup:

I struggled with not understanding that after sleeping well for a week or two and then getting hit again with some poor nights....

You are doing great!  :thumbsup:

Hey! Thanks so much!

I am hanging in there. I have actually now had my first 4 nights in a row of getting 6.5+ hours of sleep.  I am quite certain that I have lot's of difficult nights still ahead but I believe you, for cure, now that "sleep will return." I have hope. Thanks, again! Happy New Year!

HM

Hi HM,

I just wanted to see how you were doing. I'm sorry that sleep has been elusive, but it seems like you are now getting some good sleep nights. I hope it continues for you!

Just wanted to say Happy New Year and it will all get better.

Hi there!

My sleep is getting better over time but still all over the place. I had a great night of 8 to 9 hours a few days ago but the last two nights have been like 4 hours or even slightly less. I would love to sleep 9 hours a night! That would be fantastic. What has your sleep been like?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AB.

Last night it took me 2 to 3 hours! and I slept about 4 or 5 hours eventually, in broken segments. I have had some nights where I fall asleep in 20 minutes but that has only happened a handful of times. It isn't consistent. I feel so tired, when zi go to bed, and then I just lay awake.

I used to fall asleep within minutes of laying down. Way back before I ever needed Xanax. 15 years ago. Some nights it takes me 5 hours to fall asleep and then I only sleep for 2 hours or so.

It's hard to say what 'typical' is but I will say about 2 to 3 hours is not unusual. I am in bed for 10 or 11 hours to get what sleep I get.

How about you?

HM