Author Topic: Much trouble tapering Lorazepam, switch to Clonazepam or V?  (Read 1061 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Much trouble tapering Lorazepam, switch to Clonazepam or V?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 10:05:13 pm »
I think I have interdose withdrawal.  I take Lorazepam in 4 devided doses and sometimes just before the night dose anxiety and panic set in.
My doctor was not enthousiast to switch me to Valium, but I think if I ask again he is willing to try it.

If the buspar not work, I will ask him again.
I allready made a start with the crossoverschedule:

Fase 1, 1 week
Morning (9u)     0,73 mg Lorazepam
Afternoon (13u) 0,73 mg Lorazepam
Evening (17u)    0,73 mg Lorazepam
Night (22u)       0,179 mg Lorazepam, 1,8 mg V
                        0,354 mg Lormetazepam

Fase 2 1 week
Morning (9u)      0,365mg Lorazepam, 3,65 mg V
Afternoon (13u) 0,73 mg Lorazepam
                        0,354 mg Lormetazepam

Fase 3 1 week
Afternoon (13u)  0,365 mg Lorazepam, 3,65 mg V
Night (22u)        0,179 mg Lorazepam, 1,8 mg V
                        0,354 mg Lormetazepam

Fase 4 1 week
Afternoon (13u) 0,365 mg Lorazepam, 3,65 mg V
                        0,236 mg Lormetazepam, 2,36mgV

Fase 5 1 week
Morning (9u)      7,3 mg V
Afternoon (13u) 0,365 mg Lorazepam, 3,65 mg V

Fase 6 1 week
Afternoon (13u)  7,3 mg V

Fase 7 1 week
Evening (17u)     7,3 mg V

Fase 8 1 week
Night (22u)         3,6mg V

Fase 9 1 week
Night (22u)        8.42mg V

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 10:34:16 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 12:19:01 am »
I also considering Clonazepam, would make the crossover a little less bumpy?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 01:01:42 am »
You could also just switch out each dose of Ativan with Valium wait and then proceed to the next dose. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 11:08:47 pm »
You mean without the split?

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 11:16:30 pm »
@Slow&steady, if you have some time, what do you think of this schedule?
I soon expect answer from my dr. I hope its the right choice.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 04:39:10 pm »
I am still not sure to which to crossover, Valium or Clonazepam.

If somebody can give me an advise, please do.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 05:05:53 pm »
Hello, [...]. I do not have personal experience with Substitution, but here’s what the original BenzoBuddies website has to say on the topic of Valium/diazepam vs Rivotril/Klonopin/clonazepam:

We tend to advocate Valium as the benzo-of-choice for substitution purposes, as the tablets are relatively large (easier to split), and are of relatively low potency, allowing for a more gentle taper. Importantly, Valium also has a much longer half-life than most other benzodiazepines. This means that consistent blood levels of benzodiazepine are easier to achieve. Some doctors advocate substitution with Clonazepam, but Clonazepam pills are relatively small (tricky to split), and are of high potency. Although Clonazepam does have a reasonably long half-life, it is much shorter than Valium. Valium offers a unique balance of qualities that makes it the better choice for the purposes of substitution.

Re: the comment about clonazepam pills being relatively small (tricky to split) .... if memory serves, you live in a country where a professionally formulated, commercially manufactured oral solution of clonazepam is available.  However, it is highly concentrated so tricky to titrate without modification (dilution).  If I were in your shoes, I would switch to Valium.

FYI Regenboog Apotheek can produce custom diazepam tablets at almost any desired dose rounded off to 0.1mg diazepam (see link below).

Sources:
Benzodiazepine Withdrawal - Valium Substitution
http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-methods/substitution/

Regenboog Apotheek/Tapering Strips/Diazepam
https://cdn.taperingstrip.org/presordfrm/sedatives/DZPM_bestel_GB.pdf

Edit: corrected typo to ensure name redaction
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:18:08 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 09:46:21 pm »
[...], thank you.

I think I try the Valium as the size of tablets to taper is very important.
Ativan seems to unstable at this dose for me, even with a 4 times dosing schedule I felt the interdose witddrawal.

I hope I won't get depressed from Valium and can tolerate it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 03:35:15 pm »
I think going into an informed relationship with Valium is important, you already realize it can have drawbacks in the beginning so managing your expectations is smart.  Members who are able to get past the initial side effects are very happy with the performance of this drug so prepare for the worst in the beginning but stick around for the good stuff.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 08:06:28 pm »
[...], thanks for the warning.
I hope I can tolerate it.

I gona do a very slow crossover.

I talk to my psych wednesday.