Considering switching to xanax xr from short term xanax

[ba...]

HI

I am having a horrible time tapering my short acting xanax, and have an appointment with my pdoc in 2 days.  I am wondering if Xanax xr would give me better relief, but don't know how it would be tapered. Any experience or input appreciated.

I know the XR tablets can't be reduced. So, does one take both xanax xr and short term xanax, and reduce the short term dosages?

Hello baddove,

I've read some sites claiming extended release alprazolam (XR) is longer acting, and others saying it's basically the same as regular alprazolam. The half-lives indicated on Wikipedia suggest that it's not much different....

full release: 11~13 hours[5]

extended release: 11~16 hours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam

But Drugs.com claims...

Xanax XR maintains constant levels 5 to 11 hours after dosing.It takes around 6 days to be totally eliminated from your system.

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/long-xanax-xr-start-working-long-stay-system-3123383/

...which suggests a much slower elimination rate than the usual 2-day ~97% elimination of regular alprazolam.

If your tapering at-home with some form of tablet modification, I don't know if it's worth adding XR to the mix due to the inflexibility of this drug-form. Is a crossover to a longer acting drug, like clonazepam or diazepam, something you've considered?

Personally, I got off LOTS of different heavy duty high dose long term poly drugs of ALL classes by  switching to extended release , and cutting the pill down and tapering it like an instantaneous release pill  I done it LOTS of times regardless off, an despite  all the info that says 'do not cut an XR pill' it work brilliantly every time wit no or minimal  fast disappearing symptoms.

I tried for year's to do it with the instant but no chance in hell 'XR'' of the same drug worked amazingly EVERY TIME If only Diazepam was made In XR, I wish to God it was  Would do i all over again in a heart beat no second thoughts at all. I did this for years and each time I was able to taper off quick an easily, I never had no problems with whatever drug it was. 

Nova xxx :smitten: