Author Topic: We shouldnt call this withdrawal  (Read 1064 times)

[Buddie]

Re: We shouldnt call this withdrawal
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 04:05:10 am »
I agree too 100%.  Nervous system damage caused by neurotoxicity.  Yes.  For the most part I call my ongoing symptoms: 'neurological dysfunction from medication harm/toxicity'. 

The reason I no longer call it 'withdrawal' is because it simply isn't that - if it ever was.  It's damage.  And imo it's a physiological injury that's compounded by a lack of understanding and acknowledgement from mainstream medical.   The experience of it, in and of itself can be secondarily traumatic.
[...]
One of the hugest mistakes our entire 'community' makes is call this withdrawal.
I see it everywhere in articles and written pieces on this, and I feel it shortchanges all of this.

This is not withdrawal. Maybe it was the first few weeks post, and we all go through some level of 'withdrawal' for some time tapering and immediately thereafter, maybe a long time, im not diminishing that. but once someones this far out, no more. not 6 months later, not a year later, not 4 years later. 'Withdrawal' instantly has the drs saying oh its just lingering anxiety, etc etc. The drug is long out of my system. this is damage.

Im approaching 5 years from my last tiny dose of this medication, im completely 100% sober and off all drugs for years, and yet im in hell with myriad symptoms, im nearly crippled right now. this is NOT withdrawal. withdrawal is long over. this is a brain injury, and/or nervous system damage; im not a dr nor a scientist, I dont know exactly how to quantify it.

The term withdrawal instantly diminishes the severity of whats really going, and puts it in a category that makes the average person believe it to be something they understand, and far less severe. anytime ive ever said withdrawal, I immediately destroyed my chances at someone gaining understanding of what im going through. and drs ALWAYS say, oh, you cant still be in withdrawal, and the chance for understanding is over. we've all heard it.

I wish all I went through was enduring a period of withdrawal.

this is far worse.

Agreed 100%. This is nervous system damage caused by neurotoxicity not a withdrawal symptoms. People make mistakes calling it this. Central nervous system neurotoxicity is difficult to treat.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: We shouldnt call this withdrawal
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 04:19:45 am »
I always tell people I have brain damage and it's true.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.