StatPearls Update, Sep/21: Flumazenil

[La...]

StatPearls Update, Sep/21: Flumazenil

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470180/#article-21842.s2

Flumazenil is a benzodiazepine antagonist. The primary FDA-approved clinical uses for flumazenil include reversal agents for benzodiazepine overdose and postoperative sedation from benzodiazepine anesthetics. Flumazenil injection is indicated for a complete or partial reversal of the sedative effects of benzodiazepines in conscious sedation and general anesthesia in adult and pediatric populations. This activity outlines the indications, mechanism of action, dosing, significant adverse effects, contraindications, monitoring, and toxicity of flumazenil so that providers can direct patient therapy to optimal outcomes in benzodiazepine reversal.

Hi Lapis

Thanks for this -- with the increase in benzo overdoses and deaths, I'm assuming that medical people and the public will need to become as familiar with Flumazenil as narcan soon.  The unfortunate thing about overdoses with opioids and benzos is that benzos interfere with the effect of narcan.  This, combined with the fact that more and more street opioids are fentanyl laced junk -- once benzos are thrown into the mix  -- you've got a terrible overdose problem.

Hi Lapis

Thanks for this -- with the increase in benzo overdoses and deaths, I'm assuming that medical people and the public will need to become as familiar with Flumazenil as narcan soon.  The unfortunate thing about overdoses with opioids and benzos is that benzos interfere with the effect of narcan.  This, combined with the fact that more and more street opioids are fentanyl laced junk -- once benzos are thrown into the mix  -- you've got a terrible overdose problem.

Yes, you're so right, wannabe! It's big problem where I live, and I've certainly heard this issue mentioned in the news quite a bit lately. Very, very sad. I wonder if there's a quick-acting format that can be accessed in the same way that naloxone can. Naloxone kits are available here in various locations.