What Heals You?

[It...]

Hi everyone,

Over the last few years I have read many success stories, talked to a handful of different benzo coaches (all of whom I have loved) and cut out a lot of things from my lifestyle. But I'm really curious if there's a common theme here so I would love to get everyone's personal experience with this. I don't intend to change what I'm doing but I would really love to see what others are doing.

What habits do you keep and follow to help you heal? Or for those that have fully healed, What habits do you think helped you heal? (exercise, diets, supplements etc)

I personally cut out most carbs, eat little dairy, no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, no supplements. I try and exercise daily, meditate, do yoga a few days a week and eat as many vegetables and fermented foods as I can (for the pre and probiotic aspect without having to take a supplemental probiotic).

I have heard people swear by vegan diets, carnivore diets, say we don't heal until we get our gut in order, say we heal no matter what - there's such a wide variety of opinions and experience here id love to know what you feel works best for you!

[3d...]

I love this thread. Great post.

For me healing happened when I started a routine.

My routine was making sure I laid in bed for a certain amount of hours just to rest even if I wasn’t sleeping well.

Eating at set times. I chose a plant based diet, as that’s what worked best for me. Constipation was a huge problem and still remains a problem when I eat meat. Very jealous of those who can eat it. Lol

I also stopped taking supplements and vitamins and tried to get those from my diet instead. My body just didn’t like the supplement forms of things.

And learning breathing techniques was a huge plus for me.

Healing has been a long process but I’m grateful to be where I am even tho I’m not 100% yet. Depression and pain had me very suicidal in my first year so I’m just thankful that I had a supportive family to uplift me on those dark days. Glad to be alive.   :smitten:

Exercise, 100%! Especially exercise rooted in mindfulness, such as yoga or, my absolute favorite, Pilates. Intense exercise feels like too much right now, so I find a slower-paced meditative exercise has been wonderful. I tense my body a lot when I'm anxious, and will have awful neck/back/jaw pain. Pilates really helps me stretch out my muscles, and when my body is calmer, my mind usually follows.

Even if I can't get the energy or motivation to do a workout, stretching for 5-10 minutes tends to have the same effect for me. Calm body, calm mind!

If anyone is interested, this is my favorite Pilates instructor on YouTube. It's classical Pilates and she is extremely relaxing and calming. She has a range from longer, more intense workouts too more short and relaxing ones. https://www.youtube.com/c/MoveWithNicole. She also has beginner videos for those that are new to Pilates!

I will also add that my pets have been awesome during this process. They can be annoying AF sometimes, but are something that I can look forward to seeing everyday!

Somatic approaches - physical for stretching and relaxing very tense muscles, and somatic emotional tracking for letting go feelings, coupled with counselling. I think one reason people have anxiety etc months/years out maybe due to unresolved issues that caused anxiety in first place - after all let’s face it an underlying reason people go on these drugs in the first place is anxiety. And if not dealt with odds on it will still be there. Tough to be brutally honest with yourself especially if being repressed.

I was put on for crippling sciatica caused by bulging discs that morphed into chronic pain, so not anxiety. But anxiety in there, and has been a tough tough journey to identify why, and to start healing.

The book The Body Keeps the Score has been referred to elsewhere on this forum.