Just started my crossover

[mr...]

Has anybody switch from 1 mg of Klonopin over to Valium to start tapering? Has anybody done this without crossing over and just switching directly?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mr...]

• [Pa...]

• [sl...]

• [Li...]

Yes, I seen members attempt it but it can be painful because it can take weeks for Valium to fully build up and if you take away the Klonopin before the Valium has built up you're going to be left without coverage and go into withdrawal.  If you would like to communicate with members who have personal experience crossing over this is the group to talk to.  Valium Support Group

I am on .75mg of Klonopin.  Next Monday I am switching to Valium. My psychiatrist told me to just use Gabapentin until the Valium fully kicks in.  Been on Klonopin daily for about 4 weeks

I am on .75mg of Klonopin.  Next Monday I am switching to Valium. My psychiatrist told me to just use Gabapentin until the Valium fully kicks in.  Been on Klonopin daily for about 4 weeks

I haven’t tried Gabapentine, but I just tried a cross over from 3.5 mg of Clonazepam to 60-70mg of Diazepam with no taper. Was GREAT…until my body ran out of Clonazepam before the Diazepam could reach full levels.

At only 4 weeks, and a relatively low dose, you should be ok. You can also ask about certain beta blockers like propranolol to help if you need it.

Has anybody switch from 1 mg of Klonopin over to Valium to start tapering? Has anybody done this without crossing over and just switching directly?

I agree with Pamster my doc and psych gave me the “low dose” rationale and I’m glad I didn’t follow it. I slowly crossed from .375 Ativan to 3.5 Valium and had minimal symptoms.

The psych even tried to put me on 6 mg Valium saying it would cover the Ativan wd, which wud have updosed me considerably and still not helped because it takes Valium weeks to cover it.

Also although I don’t have experience with gaberpentan man bbs report it’s hard to taper off.

I’m sure other bbbs can chime in and provide a crossover schedule for you.

Hi mrcybershow,

I'm glad you've heard from other buddies who've crossed. And also Pamster who's very knowledgeable; the Valium support group which could have more feedback for you about rushed or sudden crosses and the challenges and distress that these have caused many other buddies.

Here's an example of a sudden crossover to diazepam from clonazepam...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=263352

Are you familiar with the Ashton Manual?

Would you like help planning a step-wise crossover?

I think even two steps are better than one.

Let us know how we can help.  :thumbsup:

Do you have an example crossover.

I take .25mg K in the Morning and .50mg k at night.

I also take 150 mg of gabapentin three times a day.

I want a quick transition but not so quick we’re I can’t function.

This is an example of a slow withdrawal from 1.5 mgs of Klonopin to Valium, you could halve the schedule to accommodate your situation.  If that's still too long for you then you can modify it however you wish.  My suggestion would be to allow enough time for the Valium to build up before making another substitution so you won't get hit with severe symptoms but in the end, its your taper and we just want to give you the benefit of our experience, not tell you what to do.  :)

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s5

I currently take .75mg Klonopin

.25mg Morning

.50mg Night

Does the below schedule look ok for crossing over to Valium?

First Day

Morning - 2.5mg Klonopin

Night - .25mg Klonopin / 5mg Valium

* Hold for 3 days

4th Day

Morning - 2.5mg Klonopin

Night - 10mg Valium

* Hold for 3 days

7th Day

Morning - .125mg Klonopin / 2.5mg Valium

Night -10mg Valium

* Hold for 3 days

10th Day

Morning - 5mg Valium

Night - 10mg Valium

Hold for 4 weeks

Also,

I was on 30mg Ambien for a couple months each night and was switched to Klonopin about a month ago.  Can I just switch to equivalent Valium without a crossover?

Currently on .75mg Klonopin per day.  .25mg in morning and .50mg at night.  I don’t feel it working.

I used Valium for many years each night up till Mar 2021 and I thought it worked great.

Also,

I was on 30mg Ambien for a couple months each night and was switched to Klonopin about a month ago.  Can I just switch to equivalent Valium without a crossover?

Currently on .75mg Klonopin per day.  .25mg in morning and .50mg at night.  I don’t feel it working.

I used Valium for many years each night up till Mar 2021 and I thought it worked great.

I'm not sure I understand your question, I looked at your proposed taper schedule and while it's faster than we like to see, it can work unless it doesn't because of the short time you've given the Valium to build up.  Are you saying now you don't want to gradually taper in the Valium?

Being on Valium for several years makes no difference now, yes, you tolerated it well but if you switch back to it without letting it build up while discontinuing the Klonopin, you're going to feel symptoms. 

You say your doctor won't support a crossover, do you have enough pills stashed to do it on your own?  I think your schedule looks good if you're on a short time frame, if you're not then I would increase the time you hold your dose to a week, not 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently take .5mg Klonopin in morning and .5mg Klonopin in the evening.

I have only taken medication at night time for sleep.

How can I easily change this to once per day? 

I’m gonna eventually crossover to valium soon.

I was on valium for 10 years until I was stupidly switch to Klonopin a month ago. 

Medication History

2012-Mar 2021

5-10mg Valium / Nightly - stopped C/T

3/21 - 09/21

5mg Ambien / Nightly

09/21 - Nov 15 2021

30mg Ambien / Nightly

(Experienced bad inter-dose withdrawals)

Nov 15, 2021

Admitted myself to a behavioral hospital to get stable. 

Nov 24 2021- Current 

1mg Klonopin .5mg AM / .5mg PM

300mg Gabapentin 3x a day

67.5mg Zoloft

50mg Trazodone

I'd wait until you do the crossover to Valium, making this change now may cause you some distress.  If you're determined to do it some members will slowly change the time they take it by an hour every few days or weeks, they gradually bring the doses closer together.

I agree with Pamster to consider waiting until you're on diazepam before combining your doses. I think clonazepam's average half-life is significant less than that of diazepam. I dosed 2x per day at 1mg/day and I intend to keep 2 doses per day during my direct clonazepam taper until I'm much closer to 0.125mg/day. I also think that dosing 2-3x per day is a good setup for a slow step-wise diazepam crossover.

I hope this helps.  :thumbsup:

I’ve been on Klonopin for one month at 1 mg per day.  .5mg in morning and .5mg at night.

I was at my doctors today and it looks like I’m just gonna switch over to the valium 20mg with no crossover. 

Does anybody have any suggestions or has anybody just directly switched?

Can I use gabapentin to help during this transition?

I wish you nothing but the best. I am on clonazapam, and when i started my doc tried to switch me over to valium and i got so sick...but i believe many of here have done what you are doing with good success. Make sure you keep us posted hun.

Lisa

Yes I have some but I don’t want to mix.

Below is the schedule that I came up with.

Any suggestions or changes I should make?

Day 0

AM - 0.5mg K

NIGHT - 0.5mg K

Day 1

AM - 0.25mg K

MID - 0.25mg K

NIGHT - 10mg of V

Hold for 3 days

Day 4

AM - 5mg of V

MID - 0.25mg K

NIGHT - 10mg of V

Hold for 3 days

Day 7

AM - 5mg of V

NIGHT - 15mg of V

Hold for 3 weeks

It looks like you're going to mix it a little bit on days 1-7.

From what I read it can take up to a month for the Valium to reach full potency and you're going to discontinue your Klonopin in 7 days, this could leave you without full coverage.  I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress this will be a learning experience for all of us.