Went to Detox - should I reinstate a different Benzo? I’m scared.

[jo...]

I took .25 Xanax per day for 2 months, was paradoxical from the start. Burning skin with interdose symptoms. Tried to taper over 4 months, each time I reduced the burning was worse. Each dose never helped or brought relief. Tried to hold, and then come down in dosage,  but had increased panic, anxiety, panic, pacing, insomnia and worst of all, the burning scalp and body. I was in great pain with the burning. Realized I was in a perpetual state of tolerance WD the whole time. I was unable to come down past 12 % of the .25x daily. My doc was not helpful with advice. Finally went to detox 3 weeks ago to get it out of my body so my body could begin to heal. Symptoms are the same, taking it one day at a time. I’m having a hard time and suffering the same as I was before detox.

I’m now taking hydroxyzine which helps a little with the anxiety, but the burning scalp and body are my worst symptom and pure torment and now causing increased anxiety and trembling fear.  Plus, I have to work. My last dose of Xanax was the morning of 11-15.

Should I reinstate to a different Benzo and try to taper again to help with the burning scalp and body? Or should I just keep going? My doc suggested buspar to add to the hydroxyzine.  I’m so sensitive to meds and the Xanax was a nightmare for me. I’m scared that I won’t heal. Feeling such despair.  I don’t know how I’m going to get through this. Plus, I have to work so the stress of that is ongoing. I went to the ER last week due to the pain. They did CT scan, blood work, EKG. I told them of the gaba receptors needing to heal. They suggested Celexa for anxiety. I’ve lost so much weight because I’m sensitive to foods and just drink green smoothies and eat low histamine fruit; occasionally chicken, broccoli and rice. I stopped all supplements during taper because it was advised by BB to be careful taking them.  I’m so scared. I need hope.  Trembling as I write this. Lord help me.

My feeling is it's probably better to push through this and not reinstate, it looks like the Xanax was never helpful and switching to another benzo is likely to produce the same result.  I know you're miserable but I can see your fear is making things worse for you.

You have just as much chance for recovery as everyone else, so please don't believe you're broken beyond repair.  You took the drug for such a short time, this is in your favor so I hope you'll learn all you can about what you're feeling so you can tamp down the fear which makes everything worse.

Hi Pamster,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Yes, truly this has brought on so much fear and anxiety about my healing. I fear the sensations of the burning skin, and have prayed so long for healing. I’ve read the stories how some dear folks are still enduring this side effect  after so much time.

Perhaps the chemical anxiety is also contributing, so it’s a perfect storm in my case.

Although I was on a low dose, it affected me in a bad way from the start. I’m glad it is out of my body; I regret not researching it when my doc prescribed it. This journey had robbed me of so much.

Praying I will heal and be able to eat normal food, ( I’ve been doing mostly low histamine food and low histamine smoothies)  I hope to be able take my supplements again and be healed. (I’m not sure how long we have to wait to begin taking a few supplements).

Most importantly, I pray the side effects and burning will fade soon and that my brain and receptors will soon be restored.  Do you think I will have protracted withdrawals since I did the detox path? 

Thank you again for your thoughtfulness and encouraging words. You are always so kind.

I’m so grateful for this platform.

Bless you! 🙏❤️

I used to have all your symptoms. Now I have recovered. Just don't expect all symptoms to go away right away. It does one by one. For me the dpdr went away and then my taste came back and my brain frog went away and so on.

I am living a normal life. I would say the most important factor for recovery is the mind control. You should not give in.

Keep telling yourself all these sickness are illusion, lies. These are not real.

This method stems from my buddhist teaching that all forms are illusion that was created by our minds.

I kept reciting "sickness are illusion hence I give it to buddha." You are sick due to your guilty consciousness.

By reciting these words you can clean up your mind and your health will return.

My health have returned. You will recover and live a healthy and happy life!

I can sense you are suffering really badly and I am so sorry it turned out this way.

I agree with Pamster, I don't think reinstating will help based on what you have shared when you tried tapering. I think you should just try and push through. At some stage the pain WILL lift and you will reap the benefit of this suffering. Think of it as you've ripped off the plaster of the wound and now it just needs to heal.

Do you think I will have protracted withdrawals since I did the detox path? 

In my opinion, there is no correlation between a rapid or cold turkey detox and protracted withdrawals.  I've seen members write about this but my personal experience doesn't back this up and neither dose the anecdotal evidence I've witnessed on BenzoBuddies.

I used to have all your symptoms. Now I have recovered. Just don't expect all symptoms to go away right away. It does one by one. For me the dpdr went away and then my taste came back and my brain frog went away and so on.

I am living a normal life. I would say the most important factor for recovery is the mind control. You should not give in.

Keep telling yourself all these sickness are illusion, lies. These are not real.

This method stems from my buddhist teaching that all forms are illusion that was created by our minds.

I kept reciting "sickness are illusion hence I give it to buddha." You are sick due to your guilty consciousness.

By reciting these words you can clean up your mind and your health will return.

My health have returned. You will recover and live a healthy and happy life!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and wise words. It truly is a battlefield of the mind when trying to recover. I love the part about  “these illnesses are a lie”. Please share more. I will say this mantra to myself and trust in my healing and continue to pray for renewed strength and health. I’m so happy that you are well and healed. Bless you!  :smitten:

I can sense you are suffering really badly and I am so sorry it turned out this way.

I agree with Pamster, I don't think reinstating will help based on what you have shared when you tried tapering. I think you should just try and push through. At some stage the pain WILL lift and you will reap the benefit of this suffering. Think of it as you've ripped off the plaster of the wound and now it just needs to heal.

Jelly Baby, thank you so much for your help and encouragement. It’s a difficult journey indeed, and I’m actually glad the Xanax is out of my system. I struggle with the fear of my symptoms and the pain of the burning. I trust that I will continue to heal. I get a little discouraged by reading the stories of others who have suffered so greatly. But, as you and Pamster have reminded me; we do heal. I pray for my strength each day and am in need of endurance.  Thank you again for your support and encouragement. Bless you.  :smitten:

Do you think I will have protracted withdrawals since I did the detox path? 

In my opinion, there is no correlation between a rapid or cold turkey detox and protracted withdrawals.  I've seen members write about this but my personal experience doesn't back this up and neither dose the anecdotal evidence I've witnessed on BenzoBuddies.

Thank you again Pamster. I’m not really sure what the cause of protracted withdrawals incurs, but I pray that I will be safe from that. I actually had a small window last night with no burning and felt a bit of peace, so that was so nice to feel. I will continue to pray that my restoration and healing will be complete. I appreciate your encouragement and support. Bless you!  :smitten:

While I can’t offer any sound advice as I am going through the same thing, I can tell you that you’re not alone. I have been off my 2 mg daily Xanax since 11/12. I went though a 5 day detox and I feel it was too rapid. I started feeling really terrible around 6 days ago. I’ve had horrible insomnia, panic attacks, numbness in face and limbs, loss of appetite, weakness and horrible dizziness.  I’ve been to the ER twice in the last week. I wish you the best on your recovery!

While I can’t offer any sound advice as I am going through the same thing, I can tell you that you’re not alone. I have been off my 2 mg daily Xanax since 11/12. I went though a 5 day detox and I feel it was too rapid. I started feeling really terrible around 6 days ago. I’ve had horrible insomnia, panic attacks, numbness in face and limbs, loss of appetite, weakness and horrible dizziness.  I’ve been to the ER twice in the last week. I wish you the best on your recovery!

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I’m so sorry you are experiencing the same. It’s so distressing and these side effects are truly awful. I understand completely and you are not alone. I am standing with you and sending you hugs and healing.

We just have to encourage one another and pray that healing, strength and restoration will soon be ours. I am sending you prayers and best wishes as you heal. God Bless you! 🙏💙

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

I’m so sorry that you’re going through a difficult time as well.

The burning skin and scalp just seem to be getting worse.

My doc gave me gabapentin to use, 100mg 3x per day, but it’s not helping.

At this point, I am desperate for relief.

I went to the ER Christmas morning and they just gave me a shot for inflammation.

Sadly, many doctors have no clue about benzos withdrawals.

I don’t know how I’m going to get through this.

I am wondering if I should reinstate even though i know there are risks.

The burning is just unbearable and I am in need of endurance and healing.

I hope that you feel better soon. I’m so sorry.

Bless you! 🙏❤️