Horrible symptoms after short term use

[Ru...]

Hello - I need some help. I was prescribed Xanax for insomnia (0.5mg) following a traumatic event. I took it “as needed” over 6 weeks time. I took 15 pills in total. I didn’t realize at the time but I had an almost immediately paradoxical response with increased anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia. I was having interdose withdrawal. At 6 weeks I stopped sleeping altogether and got checked into a psych ward (no previous psych history). They said it was a manic episode, but I know I was reacting to the medicine. I went cold turkey from that point since the doctors didn’t realize what was going on. That was in August. Since then I’ve physically and mentally deteriorated including losing most of my hair and other major physical changes. I also have lost all emotions and feelings, even my feeling of anxiety is totally gone. I feel like I’m just an empty void. General consciousness feels like nails on a chalk board all day every day. I rarely get restful sleep. I’m not sure how much more of this I can handle. Any experience with these types of symptoms followed by healing would be very helpful to hear.

I had a similar experience, I took about the same amount of Clonazepam and cold turkeys 10 months ago. I took a total of 15 pills over about 6 weeks. I had horrific symptoms for 4 months and started to get better. I had really bad insomnia but I started sleeping better at 4 months. I got better for 4 months and went into another wave because of stress. I'm now into this wave almost 3 months. I have insomnia and tinnitus but still surviving. Hopefully you will turn a corner soon.

Thanks for your response. I listed my symptoms today and I have about 50, a combination of physical and mental symptoms. For me, symptoms seem to still be getting worse with new symptoms emerging after about 3.5 months now since my last dose. I feel like my body is in the process of a nuclear meltdown and literally nothing feels normal. I can’t imagine that improvement or recovery from this level of symptoms is possible. I’m hoping someone who was in this bad of shape can offer some hope.

I’m so sorry you’ve had to endure this. I too had a horrible taper of Xanax that I only took .25mg per day for 2 months. I then started getting interdose WD, and had to research. My doc never warned me of this horrible poison. I was basically in perpetual WD the whole time I tried to come down.  I tried to taper for 4 months and each time my burning skin got worse.  I had the extreme chemical anxiety and other symptoms. I only made it down 12% of my dosage. Each time I took a dose it was worse and my skin burned so badly each time I tried to come down.  I think I had a paradoxical reaction from the very start.

I finally decided to go to detox 3 weeks ago to get it out of my system so I could begin to heal. I’m still suffering the burning skin and scalp, anxiety and  fear. The one thing that has helped with sleep is hydroxyzine.

Perhaps you can try it. It’s basically a prescription strength amplified Benadryl but a different type of medicine. (I can’t take the Benadryl as my body reacts poorly). I started the hydroxyzine after detox and it helps with anxiety too. You can take it as needed. No taper involved. It’s truly helped me with sleep. I was so worn out from lack of sleep.

So I just wanted to mention this to you. I am so sorry for your distress.

I understand it completely and have dealt with it for 5 months.

I think the most important part of healing is sleep. I was only getting a few hours sleep just like you.

The hydroxyzine has changed that for me, and gives me more strength by getting good sleep, thank goodness. I take it 4 times a day.  I’m hoping this might help you too. I’m glad we are both off the poison. I regret not researching it when my doc prescribed it. I’ve still managed to work (remote) and do my waking each day. I pray for healing everyday.  God bless you with renewed strength and healing.

I’m so sorry you are going through this, as well. It’s really just unimaginable. I’m glad hydroxyzine has helped with your sleep. I tried it a few months ago and it worked for one night but then not the next. Since then, I haven’t really taken anything for sleep and am trying to let my body figure it out. I even had a sleep study done and it confirmed that even when I do sleep it’s mostly light, very very little deep and very late REM onset. So my sleep cycle is definitely not right. Even when I do sleep it just isn’t restful at all and I wake up feeling worse, if that’s possible. I thought when I started getting some sleep that it would help with healing but that just doesn’t seem to be the case for me as my symptoms are continuing to get worse.

Anyone have similar symptoms to mind (many physical changes and dead emotions) and make a recovery? I’m seriously losing hope based on how bad I look and feel mentally.

I’m so sorry you are going through this, as well. It’s really just unimaginable. I’m glad hydroxyzine has helped with your sleep. I tried it a few months ago and it worked for one night but then not the next. Since then, I haven’t really taken anything for sleep and am trying to let my body figure it out. I even had a sleep study done and it confirmed that even when I do sleep it’s mostly light, very very little deep and very late REM onset. So my sleep cycle is definitely not right. Even when I do sleep it just isn’t restful at all and I wake up feeling worse, if that’s possible. I thought when I started getting some sleep that it would help with healing but that just doesn’t seem to be the case for me as my symptoms are continuing to get worse.

I’m so sorry RunningShoes. I found that I had to increase my dose of hydroxyzine. I think you can take 50-100mg 4 times per day. Perhaps an increase in dosage may help you. I can hear and understand your distress. I’m so sorry you’re having such a difficult time.  It truly is a battlefield of the mind because of the horrible side effects. I am sending you healing thoughts for renewed strength and health. I pray we both heal soon. God Bless you! 🙏💙

• 3 months later...

Hello - I need some help. I was prescribed Xanax for insomnia (0.5mg) following a traumatic event. I took it “as needed” over 6 weeks time. I took 15 pills in total. I didn’t realize at the time but I had an almost immediately paradoxical response with increased anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia. I was having interdose withdrawal. At 6 weeks I stopped sleeping altogether and got checked into a psych ward (no previous psych history). They said it was a manic episode, but I know I was reacting to the medicine. I went cold turkey from that point since the doctors didn’t realize what was going on. That was in August. Since then I’ve physically and mentally deteriorated including losing most of my hair and other major physical changes. I also have lost all emotions and feelings, even my feeling of anxiety is totally gone. I feel like I’m just an empty void. General consciousness feels like nails on a chalk board all day every day. I rarely get restful sleep. I’m not sure how much more of this I can handle. Any experience with these types of symptoms followed by healing would be very helpful to hear.

Hi, how are you? I am suffering the same symptoms and getting worse. No emotions, blank mind, insomnia, dp/dr, akathisia, tinnitus and head pressure. After 2 months still just getting worse. Feels like something is damaged and i dont know what the right thing to do is.

I was a very short time user and am in my 8th month of recovery since CT.  Time is really the only healer and it takes time.  My remaining symptoms of tinnitus, head pressure and broken sleep are manageable but I do slip into waves where I feel as if I am digressing.  My current sleep is very light broken sleep with next to none deep sleep. The only way to full recovery is through this which takes time.  Every day is one day closer to being healed.  Try acceptance and distraction - this helped and continues to help me.

Hey there to you all,

I'm soooo sorry. I know the suffering very well.

I am over 2 years off and doing great, btw :)

But still know it all too well.

Just wanted to say that yes, unfortunately for a lot of you, it is still early on your recovery. I know that sucks, because months seem like an eternity. Especially when you are not sleeping!

I just wanted to say to Running shoes, that don't worry if nothing helps with sleep.....it sucks and I am glad for the people that find something to help!....but I was a HARDCORE insomniac during WD and I couldn't take anything and had to ride it out. I just wanted to encourage you that your body will figure it again (assuming you weren't a hardcore insomniac prior).

It can take quite sometime but it will do it.

I was one of those that did the whole "zero sleep for 2 or 3 days days, then like a few broken hours, then repeat" .....for like months.

Just trying to say mine went back to normal!!!!!!

Just keep going  :smitten: