Cold turkey Xanax, out of detox 3 weeks

[Br...]

This is my second time detoxing off of Xanax. I started taking it in 2009 after decades of panic attacks. I was on it until 2014 and detoxed. Off of it for about 7months and started up again. My dose has usually been 1 1/2 to 3 mg a day. I was brought off my Xanax with 5 days of Valium and it’s been 3 weeks since my last benzo. At first, I thought I had gotten lucky. But now my anxiety is worse than ever. I’m dealing with panic attacks, insomnia, pins and needles, dizziness, high blood pressure, etc. I am really committed to getting off this crap for good, but man I am losing my mind. I am so glad my wife found this group. I have felt so alone and hopeless. Hope to hear back from you!

Hello Brian314, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It sounds like your symptoms have arrived right on time, Valium is slow to leave the body so I have a feeling you're dealing with the symptoms from that as well as the long term Xanax use.  Detox facilities basically cold turkey you but the good news is you can still recover, I quit cold turkey and did. 

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two depending on your symptoms and I would imagine you weren't withdrawn this way. 

Everything you're feeling is normal but it takes a long time to recover from an injury like this, your brain is fighting to get it's normal function back but repairing this isn't like taking a pill and getting instant relief, this is your body doing what it has to do to get back in balance.

I'll give you some links so you can navigate the forum but please, let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

Thank you very much for the reply. I am glad to have this group available as my doctor has been very unhelpful on the withdrawal plan. I was curious what the risk is of seizures after 3 weeks off of benzos? The other symptoms are complete hell, but I can fight them, I’m just worried about seizures, heart attacks and all that stuff. Also, I have been taking clonidine to help with the withdrawal effects as well has hydroxyzine and Celexa. Any suggestions on medications that help the best with Xanax withdrawals?

Thanks again

From what I've read you're out of the danger zone for seizure and the fact that you were medically detoxed should reassure you, besides seizures are rare unless you have a history. 

I've not found any sure thing to help with withdrawals, one might help one person but backfire on the next because we're all so different. Your heart is probably fine but many members report a rapid heart beat and palpitations but if you're concerned it's best to consult your doctor.

I would advise caution introducing new medications and supplements, our central nervous system is highly sensitized during this process and we don't react like we normally would. If you do decide to add anything, it would be wise to only add one at a time so you'll know what's causing what.  Here are some links to other parts of the forum that you may find useful.

Other Medications   

Alternative Therapies & Supplements