2 years off and no Benzos

[di...]

Hey everyone,

I wasn't on here that long but I did post a little and even provided updates for a couple months.  I did a year long taper off 1.5 mgs of Klonopin after being on for almost 4 years.  I hate psychiatrists and I hate Big Pharma.  I went to my doctor for an annual physical and mentioned i had some above average work stress.  It wasn't even anything bad, just some shitty sleeping nights here and there.  My GP offered me an SSRI saying it was very gentle and I could get off in 3 to 6 months after my sleep straightened out.  I had never taken a prescription med before in my life.  So I took it that night and had an adverse reaction and developed Akathesia.  I went to the hospital and they put me in the psych ward. 

Then I got put on the big K and Lexapro.  I had no idea what was happening.  I got gaslit into believing that I had a nervous breakdown.

Anyways everytime I tried to get off the meds I would have horrible anxiety.  Finally I found this place and tapered like a rational human and ended up getting off December 2019.  It sucked but I did it. 

I believe everyone here has it in them to do this.  No matter how bad it gets you will get through it.  Never give up.  I know it sucks.  I know that you feel like a dementor is sucking your soul out of your body.  I know you're angry and scared and sad and feel betrayed.  Don't let them win.

My name is Wes and I survived Benzo withdrawal.

Edit:  I also wanted to mention that I really didn't make any close relationships with people while I was here.  It just didn't happen.  But I always read the Success stories on my worst days and promised myself that when I made it I would come back.  Thanks BB

• Like 2

Thanks for coming back and sharing your success. Glad you made it to the other side, and I don't think you're alone in hating doctors and big pharma!
  • Haha 1

Wow, Dionysus.  Great success!  Sorry I missed your presence while you were here.  I haven't been on BB that long.  Still amazes me how we get in this mess.  Most of us unknowingly.  Criminal.  That's the best they've got - psych wards and more drugs.  Good for you!  You won. 
  • Like 1

I always wonder what a general practitioner's motivation is for being so quick to prescribe SSRIs. I recently went to my GP and said I was having a lot of fatigue and his immediate response was that I was probably depressed, that depression was causing the fatigue. I told him no, I'm depressed because I'm fatigued, not fatigued because I'm depressed. I told him I wanted him to do some actual investigative work to figure out why I was tired all the time, and he was pretty taken aback by it. I just don't understand why they are hellbent on prescribing psych meds so readily. Is it just the kickbacks? I've also heard that they can lose their medical credentials if they don't follow a script on what to prescribe when.

Anyway, your story just reminded me of this instance. I'm sorry you had to go through any difficulty because a doctor was so quick to prescribe dangerous drugs you didn't need. I've heard the story all too many times on this forum. Glad you are feeling better now. 

• Like 1

I would be interested to know the stats on how often docs in the US prescribe certain meds vs in the UK. Over here, it's more likely that you want to be prescribed something and can't be. If it's addictive or can be used recreationally, most (though not all) doctors will be hesitant to prescribe. As we have the NHS, the doctors don't receive kickbacks, donations etc. So that could have a lot to do with it.

That said, they're usually still fairly quick to prescribe an SSRI. For me that has generally been a good thing, though to Boombox's point, it can often come at the expense of them doing any investigative work.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your success story.  I think the way you got started on the drug is common to many of us.  So glad you came back to share where you’re at now.  Success stories are what keep me going.

Hope you do well going forward!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

3 months since my last update.

I've been off for 2 years and 3 months now and the only thing still bothering me is I sometimes get this burning sensation in my wrists and hands.  The burning sensation feels like Bengay or Tea Tree Shampoo.  It sometimes happens while I'm trying to fall back asleep at night.  Also it can happen in the morning.  As time goes on it's not as severe and the duration is less.

It will go away for weeks and pop back up.  I sometimes use a hand warmer or some type of heat to make it go away.

I will pray for all of you and I wish you healing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Quick check in.....

3 years and 7 months since I went off Klonopin.  I now have zero withdrawals or side effects from the hell of benzos.    The last few lingering things, like wrist buzzing, have left the building in my daily life.  

However, hah, they will come back if I smoke weed or drink alcohol.  They aren't bad but they will show up for a couple days.  So I tend to be sober most of the time.

I hope you all doing the best you can.

• Like 5
  • Love 2