Hydroxyzine……good or bad?

[Ha...]

Hi all, please help me out. The withdrawal from Lorazepam is making my body so tense and clenched (I am not FEELING anxious) that I have become non functioning. I really need some life distractions to help me through….going to Church, seeing my family etc. If I do these activities at the moment I become beyond exhausted. I have read some good things about Hydroxyzine. Please let me know your views and experiences. Wishing everyone a better day tomorrow. Thank you.

Hardy, here's some info about hydroxyzine:

Hydroxyzine is used in adults and children to relieve itching caused by allergic skin reactions. It is also used alone or with other medications in adults and children to relieve anxiety and tension. Hydroxyzine is also used along with other medications in adults and children as a sedative before and after general anesthesia for surgery. Hydroxyzine is in a class of medications called antihistamines. It works by blocking the action of histamine a substance in the body that causes allergic symptoms. It also works by decreasing activity in the brain.

So that's the 411 about the drug. It was prescribed for  me in the middle of my taper when I was very anxious. I also had trouble sleeping. I guess it helped a little with both but as I recall I discontinued it in a few months. Will it help you feeling  tense and clenched? Hard to say.

You asked is it good or bad? Well, it's neither. It helps some people . . . for others not so much. It's an antihistamine.  I'd give it a 5 out f 10 on the "did it help you?" scale.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Thanks Katz, your honest reply will help me think what to do. I have a very lovely Psychiatrist who will hopefully advise me and I will tell her about your experience. Thank you very much. Sending healing hugs.

Hi I tried it and it didn’t do much at all for my Ativan wd anxiety, only made me feel sedated but not less anxious. According to my psych It can be taken as needed. I tried it a only a few times for anxiety and sleep. Didn’t help with sleep either. It doesn’t sound like it wud hurt to try

Joeb

I've certainly not read any accounts from other buddies of it making them worse. Not to say they don't exist but if they do, then I've not come across them

Hi Hardy, My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. It is a very difficult road to travel.

I have been prescribed hydroxyzine for an allergy rash I had on my lower legs late this summer.

She also put me on Betamethasone Dipropionate ointment. I was concerned about both medications making my sleep worse, so I held off about a week before I started trying them. First hydroxyzine, then added the Dipropionate ointment a few days later.

Initially, the hydroxyzine helped with sleep, but after the third night, it stopped.  I stayed on it for the allergy relief itching and I began to sleep again within another day or two.  She prescribed two five mg tabs at bedtime. 

My three to four hour sleep has gone up to 7+ hours. Last night it was off a bit, as I took an hour nap yesterday.

Anyway, the grogginess that came with hydroxyzine is getting less each day, though I still have it. 

I'm having my right knee replaced on 1/7/2022 and need to have the rash healed and gone. I'm careful not to scratch my legs, but now and then I have.  My knee surgeon doesn't want any open wounds on that leg.

Typically when something stops working on the 3rd day, I give up taking it, so this is new staying on the medication for other reasons, not sleep.

NG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! At the beginning of my Ativan taper, and I'm prescribed 25mg of Hydroxozine as needed.

The Hydroxozine ha definitely helped take the "edge" off a bit when there is some between - dose withdrawals. It also has help a bit with my sleep at night. Although I should note that it helps with falling asleep, not necessarily staying asleep or getting a good rest - antihistamines have been known to prevent the body from going into REM sleep, so your body is not fully recovering during sleep.

Also, Hydroxozine stays in the system for some time, so I do feel foggy and tired in the morning for a bit, and notice that, prior to my taper, my sleep can be more restful without it.

But, at the same time, I can't really fall asleep without it during this time- so it's a game of "which one is worse"? I find that at least being able to fall asleep, and not having a fully restful night, is a lot better than staying awake for hours on end being super anxious.

Hi Hardy

My experience with hydroxyzine is similar to the others.  I used it about 4 times for sleep.  I was prescribed 25 mg.  It helped with my sleep every time but once and that time I was particularly revved up with some crazy anxiety.

The times I’ve used it I did get a lot of sleep but had really pronounced grogginess the next day that lasted well into the afternoon.  So yeah, I have to decide which is worse each time, the anxiety and sleeplessness or the grogginess. 

I requested a lower dose tablet but have yet to try it .  It is a 10 mg and can be broken so I could experiment with dosing if I want.

Like others have said, everyone is different. You will probably just have to try it and see how it affects you.