Author Topic: Over 60 years old and over 30years of use  (Read 3919 times)

[Buddie]

Over 60 years old and over 30years of use
« on: November 19, 2021, 04:13:35 pm »
Hi everyone,
I thought I would try to start a new group for those of us that are older and have been these drugs most of our adult life. I had a small bout of insomnia at age 25 as I was starting a business. Got put on Ativan .5 and took them nightly for almost 40 years. Never thought twice about it. I moved to a new state in 1997 and had to meet new people, etc. I started to notice I couldn't pull up words, lose my ability to stay focused, memory was faulty,  forming sentences got hard. I never hit tolerance, never went up in dose. Started to research and thought, holy shit, this is from the Ativan. Tried cutting my dose in half in Sept 2019, and I got hit with symptoms. I quickly reinstated within 2 weeks. I thought, I am dependent on this. My exhaustive research began. My long term prescriber was going to retire in a few years. Through research it appeared that drs were pulling people off of this class of drugs. Honestly I got too scared to stay on them with dr. retiring.  I started my taper in March of 2020. I am at .16mg through a dry taper. I am hoping that a group of us can band together with this common thread of being older and on these drugs for this long. Help each other through the process. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Over 60 years old and over 30years of use
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 05:36:27 pm »
Yep, Iíll be in your band!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 07:41:44 am »
Iím a short term user (5 months) & at 22 months off (cold turkey = not recommended) & nearly 49 I wanted to say you guys are amazing. Keep going. Tapering is definitely the way to go. Slow & steady.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 08:10:45 pm »
Hi [...]
Me too! Iím 63 and was on xanax for over 32 years. Clean for almost three months. Withdrawals are kicking but love the feel. Itís great that I didnít continue taking this crap into my golden years! Peace
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 12:11:01 am »
Well done [...], congratulations, must be a great feeling to be free of the dreaded drug.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:13 am »
Hi everyone,
I thought I would try to start a new group for those of us that are older and have been these drugs most of our adult life. I had a small bout of insomnia at age 25 as I was starting a business. Got put on Ativan .5 and took them nightly for almost 40 years. Never thought twice about it. I moved to a new state in 1997 and had to meet new people, etc. I started to notice I couldn't pull up words, lose my ability to stay focused, memory was faulty,  forming sentences got hard. I never hit tolerance, never went up in dose. Started to research and thought, holy shit, this is from the Ativan. Tried cutting my dose in half in Sept 2019, and I got hit with symptoms. I quickly reinstated within 2 weeks. I thought, I am dependent on this. My exhaustive research began. My long term prescriber was going to retire in a few years. Through research it appeared that drs were pulling people off of this class of drugs. Honestly I got too scared to stay on them with dr. retiring.  I started my taper in March of 2020. I am at .16mg through a dry taper. I am hoping that a group of us can band together with this common thread of being older and on these drugs for this long. Help each other through the process.

The symptoms you described may or may not be due to the use of a benzodiazepine. The symptoms you described may be part of normal aging and they may be quite expected changes that occur in most biological organisms: https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/how-memory-and-thinking-ability-change-with-age

Sincere Best Wishes as we make decisions that may affect our remaining quality of life.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:19:55 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 12:21:53 am »
Hi Fi, can I ask why did you updose? Are you going to hold at your current dose for the future? Wishing you a happy, healthy life whatever!

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 12:48:57 am »
Hi Fi, can I ask why did you updose? Are you going to hold at your current dose for the future? Wishing you a happy, healthy life whatever!

I up-dosed to regain cognitive and physical functions which dramatically declined (essentially becoming nonfunctional) upon cessation and tapering of prescribed benzodiazepines. I have regained those functions to the levels they were prior to the cessation & tapering of the prescribed benzodiazepines. I am holding at the current prescribed dosage and I believe the benefits of doing that exceed the risks; i.e. as an adage that works well for me states: "If it isn't broken don't try to fix it."

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 12:50:21 am »
Well done [...], congratulations, must be a great feeling to be free of the dreaded drug.

Thanks [...]
You have to get a congrats also as you were on higher doses and have come a long way. Keep going!
Peace
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 12:59:06 am »
Right there with you guys!  Prescribed them in 1998 for a few panic attacks after the birth of my son.  In hindsight, it was probably nothing more than hormones (and a husband who was of zero help).  Started out at .25 mgs 4 times per day, per doctors orders. This was prior to being able to Google everything under the sun.  I had never heard of Xanax and assumed that is was akin to a Zoloft or Paxil.  I stupidly never questioned it other than asking if it was addictive to which I got a firm "certainly not at this dose" which seemed logical to me since a tiny milligram seemed like nothing!  Ha!  What did I know. 

Over the years it was increased.  For about 13 years it treated me well ... or so I thought!  I maxed out at a whopping 6 milligrams and started to question things.  Physically and mentally I was in the best shape of my life but kept feeling really unwell every 5-6 hours.  Could not make heads or tails of it! Started to research Xanax and .... you all know how that went.

Years later, here I am, 54 years old, still tapering and praying to be finished the 4 year journey soon!  I REALLY want to live again!

Fondly,
[...]

PS:  Please forgive my obnoxiously long signature.  It's been with me since day one and I'm keeping it until I jump.  After I do, I promise to shorten it up a bit!  LOL!