Why Am I suddenly Sleeping/Rested - Vitamin D?

[dc...]

[dc...]

Hi All, the strangest thing has happened-- I'm sleeping and feel rested for three straight nights.  I'm super grateful but I haven't felt this good in so, so long....maybe a couple of years!

I've been tapering off K for almost 2 years and it's been a grind, especially since July of this year.  My symptoms have been significant and hard to manage but I'm working and busy mom/wife.  My biggest complaint recently has been sleep and I feel like I'm walking dead most of the time because I'm exhausted. 

My Doctor told me that I was very Vitamin D deficient (level 12 ng/mL, 20-50 is normal) and 3 weeks ago put me on a script of high dose (50,000 Units 1x per week for 6 weeks only).  Could my restful sleep, clear head, good mood, and energy be from this Vit D infusion? 

[d6...]

Hi All, the strangest thing has happened-- I'm sleeping and feel rested for three straight nights.  I'm super grateful but I haven't felt this good in so, so long....maybe a couple of years!

I've been tapering off K for almost 2 years and it's been a grind, especially since July of this year.  My symptoms have been significant and hard to manage but I'm working and busy mom/wife.  My biggest complaint recently has been sleep and I feel like I'm walking dead most of the time because I'm exhausted. 

My Doctor told me that I was very Vitamin D deficient (level 12 ng/mL, 20-50 is normal) and 3 weeks ago put me on a script of high dose (50,000 Units 1x per week for 6 weeks only).  Could my restful sleep, clear head, good mood, and energy be from this Vit D infusion?

It could be. Vitamin D deficiency has been found to cause sleeping problems. Sleep apnea seems to be reduced by taking Vit D as well, and Magnesium needs Vit D to work properly. If you were deficient, it could explain the good effects your are getting from supplementing.

I take (and have been taking) 10,000 IU of Vitamin D daily for at least the past 3 years. 

"The goal should be to raise 25(OH)D concentrations above 40–60 ng/mL (100–150 nmol/L)."

How much should we take?

A good recommendation is to take about 35IU's per pound of body weight per day.

For example, if you are 200 pounds, then 25 x 200 = 7,000. So take at least 5,000 IU's per day.

Adults at increased risk of Vit D deficiency due to excess weight, dark skin, or living in care homes may need higher intakes (eg, 2x).

It is a good idea to get your D levels tested to avoid being too high or too low. You can find online services for far less than what a hospital will charge.

Vitamin D isn't some magic bullet cure all. It is an important piece of the immunity puzzle. Eating fruits and vegetables, exercise, adequate sleep, avoiding smoking, avoiding drinking, and avoiding shit junk foods, all work together with Vit D, and C, and glutathione, and omega 3 fats to keep your military (your immune system) in full on virus ass kicking mode 24/7.

I take (and have been taking) 10,000 IU of Vitamin D daily for at least the past 3 years. 

"The goal should be to raise 25(OH)D concentrations above 40–60 ng/mL (100–150 nmol/L)."

How much should we take?

For example, if you are 200 pounds, then 25 x 200 = 7,000. So take at least 5,000 IU's per day.

Adults at increased risk of Vit D deficiency due to excess weight, dark skin, or living in care homes may need higher intakes (eg, 2x).

It is a good idea to get your D levels tested to avoid being too high or too low. You can find online services for far less than what a hospital will charge.

Vitamin D isn't some magic bullet cure all. It is an important piece of the immunity puzzle. Eating fruits and vegetables, exercise, adequate sleep, avoiding smoking, avoiding drinking, and avoiding shit junk foods, all work together with Vit D, and C, and glutathione, and omega 3 fats to keep your military (your immune system) in full on virus ass kicking mode 24/7.

I have stayed away from vitamin Das I had read several times that it is a vitamin that one should definitely stay away from in recovery.  I would love to start up as my osteoporosis vitamin complex that I should be taking has a lot of vitamin d but I have stayed away.  Think I should try it and see what happens?

How much should we take?

I have stayed away from vitamin Das I had read several times that it is a vitamin that one should definitely stay away from in recovery.  I would love to start up as my osteoporosis vitamin complex that I should be taking has a lot of vitamin d but I have stayed away.  Think I should try it and see what happens?

Everyone responds differently to vitamins/supplements during recovery.  I never had a problem with Vitamin D.  Wondering why people are telling you to stay away from it when it's plays such an important role in strengthening our immune system? I understand that if it ramps up your symptoms you should avoid it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
According to the Online Pharmacy, a deficiency in vitamin D has been associated with many changes in sleep such as fewer sleeping hours, and sleep that is less restful and restorative. I had this problem last year. Having done a blood test, I found out I had a low level of this vitamin. Now I take it on a daily basis and sleep well.