so why the fragmented sleep

[he...]

Anyone knows why the sleep post benzo is so fragmented? Its literally bits and pieces.

I made 5,5 maybe 6 hours last night (so happy!) but in blocks, like 3 hours in a row, then 2 hours then 1. It usually goes like that. First I always woke up after 1,5 hours, now I seem to make 3 hours in a row more often. In about 35 days had 2 times that I made 5 hours in a row, which was soooo nice. Still super crappy nights too of like only 1,5 hours.

I didnt have sleeping problems pre-benzo. I did have that sometimes I woke up after 4 or 5 hours and then quickly fell asleep again to make 7 or 8 hours, but that felt totally different.

I dont like the fragmented sleep but my worst thing is still hypnic jerks.

It doesn't really matter why it is that way, it just is. 

Whether I can give you a sound logical or medical reason won't change it.

Sleep returns in fits and starts and in small blocks of time and is very fragmented. 

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because of the down regulated GABA and the dominance of Glutamate.

Recall that GABA is what makes you calm and relaxed so you can sleep and Glutamate is what makes you active and alert (even fight or flight) so when glutamate dominates the day and night

you can't sleep or sleep is very fragmented.

Our brain and bodies want and need sleep, but you are experiencing TEMPORARY damage to your Central Nervous System.  But the good news is your

body knows how to repair that damage.  While it's being repaired things are not normal...hence the lack of sleep and symptoms.

Fragmented sleep is also common as we age.  I am 58 and have some brothers and friends that are older, in their 60s and they were always good sleepers.  But as they age, their said their sleep became fragmented and sometimes very fragmented to the point where they were/are waking up 10 times a night.

If you never had sleep issues prior to Benzos, then it's logical and it makes sense that all of your sleep issues are being caused by the Benzos.

It also stands to reason that you should return to your pre-Benzo sleep at some point in the future.

yeah had no sleep issues...

My mom actually staryed getting beter sleep at 68 after retiring and is sleeping very well now for the first time in her life at 71. My dad slept well all his life until 91 when he passed. Anything is possible 😊