Almost two years Benzo free

[Mi...]

January 22, 2020 was the last day I took my final dose of Clonazepam. I went C/T after that. It was hard, and I know that you already know that.

Where to start… I’m 44 now and started taking clonazepam when I was 33, almost two years after my first son was born. He was diagnosed with autism around 18 months and this sent me to a depression which the doctor prescribed me Clonazepam. Unfortunately, like many of us, I didn’t know the effects and ramifications of this drug. It started at .5mm daily. Never asked what they were for or for how long I should keep taking them, and he never told me anything about these small pills. I even had this drug on auto refill. Really scary now that I know.

Years later, I had a daughter and then moved to Texas with my family (Now I’m on 1.5mm daily). In this state is where I found the truth. I came from Illinois were the laws for prescribing these kinds of drugs were more relaxed and can get them with your family Doctor, at least that was the case for me. I had two different Doctors in Illinois and both gave me these drugs without never telling what they were, how they will affect me or when I should stop using them. But when I moved to Texas it was impossible to get a prescription, I even had to fly to Illinois to get a refill. Crazy.

So, I got Texas hard-love and they told me the truth. The Doctor explained in detail all the effects and a way I can get out of it. We started tapering the Clonazepam and told me to take Prozac and Lunesta for sleep. He explained that he was going to swap me to Prozac and then get me off from that. I tried tapering the Clonazepam, but it wasn’t working for me. So, I did something even more stupid, I went cold turkey on Clonazepam. January 22, 2020 was my last clonazepam dose and six months later I went C/T with Lunesta and Prozac. Its been more than a year without any drugs.

It was extremally hard, but it was worth it (recommend tapering). Before I took this drug, I considered myself an OK guy, you know, no crimes, went to work, got married, had some friends, social drinker, played sports, just normal stuff. But after this ordeal I felt like I finally woke up, I no longer feel like going through the motions. I am more engaged with my family, friends, church, and all other thinks that I would’ve never thought doing. Life is not perfect; I still have my share of issues but at least I feel aware. It feels that when I was on this drug I was in a fog, a fog for my mind and soul.

What I’m trying to tell you is that this happened for a reason, that maybe the drug was supposed to happened to me for a reason, a reason to get a move on with my life. At least that is what I believe happened to me.

My advice is to seek a cure from this drug addiction but take it in another perspective. Ask yourself, was I a better person before the drugs? Was I doing anything useful to myself and others? If you answer yourself no, then no worries my friend, the only path is up, just let go of that person you were before and be you, a better you.

I hope my story can help you out, and please know that you will get of this and that you will get better, just keep pushing. Remember that we are all in this together and try to be you, a better you.

I love guys!