Super powerful panic attacks / emotional outbursts as Ativan wears off

[au...]

Hey all - I am trying to figure out if what I’m dealing with is interdose dependency or a severe and sudden onset panic disorder or behavioral issue. Basically, I started getting anxious from COVID and was prescribed Ativan for sleep after I showed up at the ER in a panic and sleep deprived. I had one true panic attack (ie felt like a heart attack, detached from reality, sweaty etc) but haven’t had any since but instead I have what I thought were “anxiety attacks” from anxiety rebound where it seems like 14-16 hours of my last dose of Ativan, I experience uncontrollable extreme emotional outbursts, crying, stress, yelling, extremely despondent, psychotic (ie I think I’ve died and gone to hell) and they last for a couple of hours. I’ve never had these in my life, they’re extremely dark and scary and uncontrollable. They’re like fits. I also had some long COVID symptoms (brain fog, heart palps) so part of me wonders if I have brain swelling.

When people talk about panic attacks, is this a panic attack or is this something much much more serious that maybe the Ativan withdrawal is “unmasking”? My psychiatrist claims it’s panic disorder.

Most of our Ativan users will dose 3 times a day, have you tried taking it more often?

In my view if you didn't have these episodes before you took the Ativan then its doubtful you have a panic disorder, I never had anxiety or panic until I took Klonopin. 

Hey all - I am trying to figure out if what I’m dealing with is interdose dependency or a severe and sudden onset panic disorder or behavioral issue. Basically, I started getting anxious from COVID and was prescribed Ativan for sleep after I showed up at the ER in a panic and sleep deprived. I had one true panic attack (ie felt like a heart attack, detached from reality, sweaty etc) but haven’t had any since but instead I have what I thought were “anxiety attacks” from anxiety rebound where it seems like 14-16 hours of my last dose of Ativan, I experience uncontrollable extreme emotional outbursts, crying, stress, yelling, extremely despondent, psychotic (ie I think I’ve died and gone to hell) and they last for a couple of hours. I’ve never had these in my life, they’re extremely dark and scary and uncontrollable. They’re like fits. I also had some long COVID symptoms (brain fog, heart palps) so part of me wonders if I have brain swelling.

When people talk about panic attacks, is this a panic attack or is this something much much more serious that maybe the Ativan withdrawal is “unmasking”? My psychiatrist claims it’s panic disorder.

Aubenzo

I have had all of those symptoms except thinking I’ve died and gone to hell….wailing, crying , despondent, outburst, banging my head on the wall or floor (not hard enough to injure myself),very scary and they can come on like a flip of a switch.  Mine don’t last as long but they frightened me.  I feel in my case they are definitely from the Ativan.  I dose 3x/day and still get them .  Not everyday and not necessarily every week .

I’ve learned that, for me, to let it run it’s course and I usually feel a sense of relief and calm afterwards.  That’s my experience with similar symptoms. It seems that it is some kind of am outlet for pent up anxiety from withdrawal.

I will say that once I figured out that they weren’t causing lasting issues in my case, to do some deep breathing afterwards and calm myself.

Hope maybe this helps some. 

My post-Ativan panic attacks didn't come with any emotional/outward stuff -- all physical. Elevated HR, sweaty palms, feeling that I'm gonna die / dread, severe agitation, shallow breathing, thirst and throat dryness, chest tightness and pressure. This would last for hours sometimes during withdrawal.

In my case, I only took Ativan for only 7 consecutive days, during which I started experiencing interdose panic attacks after day 3 or 4, so continued to take it to stop the panic attacks. I stopped Ativan CT, and pushed through several days of unrelenting panic. I cannot recommend doing it that way though -- I think most folks in this forum will recommend a taper of some kind, depending on the dose and duration.

What helped me to get through these was walking them off -- I would just head out and walk fast, matching the heart rate to the activity level. I would do this for hours. Diaphragmatic breathing exercises and mindfulness / body scan did not do much during the attack itself, but seemed to help out if I practiced a few times a day.

Hang in there. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you get better soon!

I never had severe panic attacks until I took zopiclone and later tempazapam.  It has crippled me as now I must take it every morning and night to function even though I have 8ndomnia and aged 20 Yeatrs from it.  I went from looking 39 to looking 50 in 1.5 tears

Slowly and safely taper off of the Benzo(s) that you are still on, then you will heal

It won't be easy, but looking for another Benzo or Rx drug to alleviate what ails you is a DEAD END ROAD

Benzos are designed for 2-4 weeks maximum use

They are merely band aids that don't cure or treat anything or any underlying condition or illness

They are a crutch that only causes more and more problems...

Then the Benzo reaper arrives one day and demands payment without mercy...usually in the form of a nasty Benzo WD period that no one knows how long will last

Slowly and safely taper off of the Benzo(s) that you are still on, then you will heal

It won't be easy, but looking for another Benzo or Rx drug to alleviate what ails you is a DEAD END ROAD

Benzos are designed for 2-4 weeks maximum use

They are merely band aids that don't cure or treat anything or any underlying condition or illness

They are a crutch that only causes more and more problems...

Then the Benzo reaper arrives one day and demands payment without mercy...usually in the form of a nasty Benzo WD period that no one knows how long will last

Love the description... You are spot on!!!