Klonopin to Valium Dosing

[Sl...]

I have no psychiatrist and my PCP is supportive, but not knowledgeable.  I'm switching from 0.625K to valium.  I've been advised to crossover to 12.5V.  At this point, I'm up to 7.5V and so fatigued, weak, and often nauseous.  Is it advisable to continue my way to 12.5V or aim for lesser amount.  My pharmacist says since V accumulates, it'd be fine to aim lower, but will this leave me in withdrawal to start. 

As of now, I take 0.125K with 2.5V in the morning, 0.125K afternoon, and 5V night.  Working on getting that morning dose to be zero K and most likely taking that 0.125K morning dose and turning it into 2.5V added to night dose.  Can't imagine I'll be able to stay awake on 5K all morning.  I can hardly do that now.  Then I will still have another 2.5V to add somewhere else. 

Mostly thinking I'll be a total zombie, or sleeping for weeks.  Just wondering if I should/could aim for less than 12.5V equivalency dose for 0.625K dose?

Thanks!

Hi Slowandsteady2021,

It sounds to me like you might be rushing your crossover; the symptoms you describe may be a combination of withdrawal caused by the dip in blood serum levels as diazepam builds to potency, the instability caused by this dip, and your body adjusting to the new effects of diazepam (it's described as generally more sedating and depressing).

Aiming for a lower final dose with the withdrawal symptoms your experiencing seems to me like it might end up being counter-effective. Longer holds between steps are what I would try first if I was in a similar situation.

How long have you been holding between steps on your crossover?

Are you willing to hold where you are now until your functionality improves?

Let us know how we can help.  :thumbsup:

So, actually I began this crossover in mid-July!  So it’s already been over three months. I have slowed it way down in that morning dose switch and even started doing tiny decreases on K and increases on V (pills in water). That didn’t make anything better, so am now at 50/50 for AM dose and have been now for 8 days. I think this is already the slowest crossover I’ve read about. I’m only 60% crossed over.

So, actually I began this crossover in mid-July!  So it’s already been over three months. I have slowed it way down in that morning dose switch and even started doing tiny decreases on K and increases on V (pills in water). That didn’t make anything better, so am now at 50/50 for AM dose and have been now for 8 days. I think this is already the slowest crossover I’ve read about. I’m only 60% crossed over.

Wow, okay, thanks for clarifying more about your situation!

Rereading your original post with this new information, I am wondering...

Do you have histamine issues? Hives, such as inside elbows, back of knees or armpits? Increased symptoms after eating leftovers? Increased symptoms after eating in general? If so, this might be a sign that you are not tolerating the diazepam. It's been reported to be the only benzo that impairs the function of DAO, the body's natural anti-histamine.

If you are tolerating the diazepam, since your crossover is so slow I suspect you may be able to tweak your final diazepam dose mid-cross. Buddy SuperJess tweaked her final diazepam amount by simply using a different crossover ratio throughout her entire crossover. This way she didn't end up taking a big total benzo cut after her cross; instead it was just a different substitution rate.

If this is something you want to try, I think we might be able to adjust your last 5mg of diazepam so that it ends up being something less by changing the 20:1 V:K ratio you're currently using. We can help you with the math if you can tell us what dosage you'd like to try to end up at.

Alternatively, since you are already doing small K dosage adjustments you could consider holding on your diazepam crossover and instead tapering your clonazepam doses. I would consider this approach if I was confident that I was tolerating the diazepam.

Do any of these ideas make sense to you?

At least you're not rushing your cross!  :thumbsup: