Ready to change

[Em...]

Ready for change

I’m joining after being forced/tricked into discontinuing benzodiazepines. Unwittingly became physically dependent years ago with ongoing scripts for Xanax. I would have been open to a taper earlier if I had been given evidence based information from my psychiatrists. Now I feel abandoned and angry. I don’t trust my provider to treat me as a person instead of a drug addict and I have done the research ( peer-reviewed professional journals) that acknowledges the difficulties, dangers and mishandling of benzo tapering. I hope to find and give support here. Thank you

I tried to post earlier but I may not be doing this right. Please have patience. I’m about to start a taper from benzodiazepines. I am physically dependent unwittingly over many years on Xanax. My doctor switched me to lorazepam two weeks ago at 6mg but doesn’t check on me at all. Trying to change providers to get appropriate help. I’m currently suffering outrageous fatigue, stomach discomfort and nausea as well as confusion and nervousness. I’m hoping others here will support me through this journey.

edit: added content from second Intoduction

Hello Emotionalsupportanimal,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  I sense the anger in your words, we've all been there.  The feeling of abandonment by medical providers and the dissemination of misinformation about benzos and withdrawal is something many of us have experienced. The good thing is that you are here. There is a wealth of good information available on the forum as well as support from those who truly understand the withdrawal process.

I see your doctor changed you from xanax to lorazepam recently. Xanax is a very short acting benzo, lorazepam has a slightly longer half life.  Additionally, if you switched suddenly from one benzo to another you are likely feeling withdrawal from xanax. Although both are benzos, there chemical composition is different.

Your dose is quite high so after years of use it's important to taper slowly to help minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally it is suggested to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  Some people go even slower following a symptom based taper. I'll give you a link to the Planning Your Withdrawal Board for more information.

I'll also provide a link to the Withdrawal Support Board where you can connect with others in this process.

You'll receive good support here as well as shared knowledge.  This is doable with a sensible taper plan. Settle in and do some reading, ask questions, we're here to help. 

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

pianogirl  :)

Hi and welcome to BB  Emotionalsupportanimal. You said your doc switched you from xanax to 6 mgs of ativan. That is a huge amount. Are you seeing a new pdoc? Why the switch from xanax to ativan? How much xanax were you taking prior to starting the ativan?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been researching and yes, 6mg of Ativan is huge. I was taking 3mg of Xanax. I’m suffering somnambulance, stomach issues, headaches, cold and hot flashes, muscle pain, swelling in hands and feet. I have an appointment with a new provider in 2 days and can’t wait to get on something tolerable and appropriate. I think I’m allergic to the Ativan or at least having a horrible reaction. I don’t take the full amount prescribed but I have to take some or the side effects get worse.

I completely understand your dilemma.  I hated the short acting benzos like ativan and xanax when I was on them? Are these the only two benzos you have taken?

Yes only xanax and the Ativan for only the past 3 weeks to supposedly taper. Upon taking Ativan I felt horribly sleepy, am unable to do my schoolwork and am nauseous all day long. I hope to return to Xanax because of the functional wellness I had before and then work to taper with my new doctor under contract. I have bipolar disorder and when I had a manic episode 2 months ago my doctor prescribed propanolol instead of zyprexa which works within 5 days to stop mania. Once I recovered from her poor psychopharmacology for that, she unilaterally decided that Xanax was my problem. I never had any of the side effects I’m having with Ativan before this. I simply cannot tolerate it. I hope my doctor will help me on Wednesday as I am getting behind in school and not getting anything done. I’m engaged to a wonderful man and he supports me through this but he has also had to watch me suffer through this. I have a great life and had things well under control before this medication. Is Valium or Klonapin a better choice for taper?

I have a great life and had things well under control before this medication. Is Valium or Klonapin a better choice for taper?

I do personally think the longer half-life, low potency benzos like valium are much easier to taper from but not so much klonopin. Klonopin rivals xanax in potency even tho it has a longer half-life.

Please update Wednesday after you see your doc. Are you hoping to be put back on 3 mgs of xanax Wed, try to get stable on that, and then decide where you wanna go after that? No matter which benzo you decide to withdraw from, these drugs must be slowly withdrawn or the withdrawal is likely to end in failure and more unnecessary suffering.