Apigenin for Insomnia

[Th...]

Apigenin is a bioflavonoid compound (specifically a flavone) which is found in a wide variety of plants and herbs. It is very abundant in chamomile tea, and exerts anxiety-reducing effects when consumed in high doses. At even higher doses, it may be sedative.  It is available in supplement form.

Many people anecdotally say it improved their sleep when taken in supplement form (pill).

It does cross the blood brain barrier.

It most likely will NOT work like a Benzo and "knock"you out, but may make you feel relaxed enough to get some sleep?

Try it out if you are struggling with sleep, but please note that not much (short of another Rx drug) can touch Benzo induced insomnia?

It's available online....Amazon, Swanson Vitamins, etc.

Now everything that I see as treatment for anything linked to mental health or that could bennefit mental health,  I think how it would affect an individual after having a benzo injury,

Now everything that I see as treatment for anything linked to mental health or that could bennefit mental health,  I think how it would affect an individual after having a benzo injury,

I know.  I was talking to a woman with MS (a mild case) and it was interesting as we talked diet and supplements.  I kind of think this is the way to go.  Certainly rx'es and Western meds hurt us.

I don't think it matters how it sourced?  I guess the best way to tell is to try them both?

It's available on Amazon and online vitamin stores.

• 1 year later...
I'm sorry it didn't work for you?  Most herbal or OTC sleep aids take some time to work, if they are going to work.  I can't tell from your signature what you were on and for how long and if you're still on or you've tapered off (or even did a CT)?  Nothing short of another Rx drug will help if you are experiencing Benzo-induced insomnia?  In addition, the dosage of apigenin that is considered to be somewhat sedative is at least 500mg according to most of the web research I've done. 

I build up with my functional med doc, he recommended this as alternative to low dose naltroxen I was not comfortable with. I took one pill for a week  then two and now three. It has not changed anything so far.