I wimped out

[Be...]

I was supposed to get a calcium score CT today. I was under the impression that it was a simple X-ray, but then the nurse started talking about beta-blockers, contrast, and nitroglycerin tablets, and I kinda freaked out, and said I need to reschedule. I feel weird nowadays just taking Tylenol, I can’t imagine what that drug cocktail she mentioned would do to me.

So yeah, I feel great at the moment. Guess I’ll find out if I have plaque build-up if I have a heart attack.

I'm glad you backed out!  The contrast dye alone could have sent you into a tailspin.  It can make perfectly healthy people sick.  Maybe you could schedule a different kind of test? 

I'm glad you backed out!  The contrast dye alone could have sent you into a tailspin.  It can make perfectly healthy people sick.  Maybe you could schedule a different kind of test?

I’m not sure. I think doing a CT with all that junk is the only way to measure plaque build up. I feel like I need to do it, because I do have a mild heart condition. But now I’m not sure when I can, due to benzo WD longer lasting effects.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if you are still reading this but I had a calcium score done.  It is a simple lay down scan and there was NO dye or taking anything while getting it done.  Not sure why the nurse said that to you. 

Anyway.  Was glad I did it cause my score was a 0.  no plaque.  so that made me feel better.

Hingie

Not sure if you are still reading this but I had a calcium score done.  It is a simple lay down scan and there was NO dye or taking anything while getting it done.  Not sure why the nurse said that to you. 

Anyway.  Was glad I did it cause my score was a 0.  no plaque.  so that made me feel better.

Hingie

Yeah, not sure why they are talking all that junk. I’m scheduled to have one next week, so I’ll ask about all that.

I was supposed to get a calcium score CT today. I was under the impression that it was a simple X-ray, but then the nurse started talking about beta-blockers, contrast, and nitroglycerin tablets, and I kinda freaked out, and said I need to reschedule. I feel weird nowadays just taking Tylenol, I can’t imagine what that drug cocktail she mentioned would do to me.

So yeah, I feel great at the moment. Guess I’ll find out if I have plaque build-up if I have a heart attack.

You didn’t wimp out! You were right in questioning the procedure when the nurse started mentioning all of those things! You have to advocate for your own health and you did just that, and that’s a good thing!  :thumbsup:

A cardiac CT for calcium scoring doesn’t involve any contrast dye or medications. Oftentimes, but not always, but they  may put (I believe it’s 3) electrodes on your chest but that isn’t invasive nor does it have any side effects. It’s just those little sticky round tabs and it’s connected to an ECG during the scan. The reason she probably mentioned beta blockers and nitroglycerin are to establish a heart rate in the proper range to get a better reading. The contrast does help to see more plaque, including any non calcified (soft) but that’s generally used for coronary angiography CT, not a calcium score. Please call them and ask them why they are talking about those medications and contrast if you are only getting a calcium score done, because a calcium score doesn’t require all of that. If they insist that it does, ask them to elaborate on it and ask if they are talking about an angiogram, because that’s what it sounds like.  I hope that this helps some. I completely understand the panic when you hear all of that, and contrast and the other medications can have side effects for people, so I hope you are able to get some answers from your doctor. If it makes you feel any better, a calcium score is quick and zero medications or contrast are used.

Thanks :) maybe it is a coronary angiography CT, but they said it was a calcium scoring. Idk, but I’m scheduled to have it next week. I’m nervous.