FREE 10/28 Benzodiazepine-Induced Brain Injury: The Hidden Prescription Epidemic

[Ms...]

October 28th at 8:30-9:45 am Mountain Daylight Time (7:30-8:45 am Pacific, 9:30-10:45 am Central, 10:30-11:45 am Eastern) the Colorado Consortium’s 2021 Annual Meeting is hosting a free session on Zoom entitled Benzodiazepine-Induced Brain Injury: The Hidden Prescription Epidemic. Questions should be directed to info@corxconsortium.org.

Presenters:

Nicole Lamberson, PA, Benzodiazepine Information Coalition's Medical Advisory Board

John Staight, patient advocate

Alexis Ritvo, MD, Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Action Work Group co-chair

D.E. Foster, Benzo Free Podcast, Easing Anxiety, Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Action Work Group co-chair

Moderator: Jamie Feld, MPH

Session Description:

There is a growing crisis of patient harm from prescribed benzodiazepines, a class of medications traditionally prescribed for anxiety, sleep and anesthesia.

While benzodiazepines have some limited indications, they are often prescribed in the absence of adequate research and for far longer than the recommended time limitation of 2-4 weeks.

In September 2020, the FDA added a black box warning to prescription benzodiazepines. This warning states that "Physical dependence can occur when benzodiazepines are taken steadily for several days to weeks, even as prescribed." And that "Stopping them abruptly or reducing the dosage too quickly can result in withdrawal reactions, including seizures, which can be life-threatening." Unfortunately, much of the public and many healthcare providers are unaware of this warning.

Studies report 10-44% of chronic benzodiazepine users experience moderate to severe protracted withdrawal symptoms upon cessation lasting months to years; some have suggested calling this phenomena "Benzodiazepine Induced Brain Injury" or "Benzodiazepine Injury Syndrome".

This session looks at the benzodiazepine crisis from the perspectives of medical professionals, affected patients, and community organizers. The goal of this session is to increase knowledge about safer prescribing and deprescribing of benzodiazepines.

https://ucdenver.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMlfuCtrDsuE9UPHq2Y2b9H_jxD14NRZm66

Yes, I'm hoping there will be a video made available after the fact here. I can't attend either, but I'd be interested in seeing it after-the-fact.

I hope that some of these speakers will address what if anything can be done for those of us who have suffered for years from Benzodiazepine Injury Syndrome. If not, for God's sake someone please ask.

It feels like we are modern medicine's dirty little secret that are being swept under the rug and forgotten about. 

It seems like the medical profession should be held to the standard of "If you break it you ought to try to fix it".  But, by in large they won't admit that we exist, much less spend any resources to try to help us. Our doctors were Johnny on the spot when it came to passing out prescriptions like candy and the pharmaceutical companies made their billions off these drugs.  Their lives and their companies have moved on, but we remain here stuck in hell, the detritus of Big Medicine. We really don't know what has been done to us since no one is doing the fundamental research to figure that out.

Nathan, you always are spot on with what you say.  What really sucks is that many of us are too sick to speak out and complain about it because we have injured brains.

I hope that some of these speakers will address what if anything can be done for those of us who have suffered for years from Benzodiazepine Injury Syndrome. If not, for God's sake someone please ask.

It feels like we are modern medicine's dirty little secret that are being swept under the rug and forgotten about. 

It seems like the medical profession should be held to the standard of "If you break it you ought to try to fix it".  But, by in large they won't admit that we exist, much less spend any resources to try to help us. Our doctors were Johnny on the spot when it came to passing out prescriptions like candy and the pharmaceutical companies made their billions off these drugs.  Their lives and their companies have moved on, but we remain here stuck in hell, the detritus of Big Medicine. We really don't know what has been done to us since no one is doing the fundamental research to figure that out.

3/4 of the panel is injured. I'm sure they'd like these answers, too.

Nathan Arizona's comment is spot on, imo. I will add, imo, that based upon my personal experience (I've been on prescribed dosages of Valium and Xanax my entire adult life) and based upon my observations of my personal friends' experiences that tapering and withdrawal from benzos only make the symptom related injuries worse ... even after a prolonged abstinence of benzodiazepines (many years). Will the panel of experts please address the issues related to the severe reduced cognitive and physical functionality of patients who taper and cease using benzos? Some current unbiased, factual statistics and data would be appreciated.

Nathan Arizona's comment is spot on, imo. I will add, imo, that based upon my personal experience (I've been on prescribed dosages of Valium and Xanax my entire adult life) and based upon my observations of my personal friends' experiences that tapering and withdrawal from benzos only make the symptom related injuries worse ... even after a prolonged abstinence of benzodiazepines (many years). Will the panel of experts please address the issues related to the severe reduced cognitive and physical functionality of patients who taper and cease using benzos? Some current unbiased, factual statistics and data would be appreciated.

Your experience and that of your friends is just one segment of the population, just as my and pianogirls experience of complete recovery after a cold turkey and taper respectively, is ours.  Anecdotal evidence is just that and while you believe no one can recover after tapering from benzodiazepines, I believe they can and we have hundreds of success stories attesting to this. 

Stating this " Will the panel of experts please address the issues related to the severe reduced cognitive and physical functionality of patients who taper and cease using benzos? " shows your own bias.

Your experience and that of your friends is just one segment of the population, just as my and pianogirls experience of complete recovery after a cold turkey and taper respectively, is ours.  Anecdotal evidence is just that and while you believe no one can recover after tapering from benzodiazepines, I believe they can and we have hundreds of success stories attesting to this. 

Stating this " Will the panel of experts please address the issues related to the severe reduced cognitive and physical functionality of patients who taper and cease using benzos? " shows your own bias.

What you describe as my bias is my experience and similar experiences of my personal friends. I was in the situation of being the sole breadwinner for my family and became totally dysfunctional following the discontinuation of Valium. My doctors and I agreed that I needed to reinstate (they prescribed Xanax) for my and my childrens' benefit. As it turned out, after reinstating and regaining my cognitive and physical capabilities, I was able to assist my children in completing their educations with honors and are they are now medical doctors. I was able to successfully continue with and then retire from my career. For me, the benefits  associated with reinstating the use of benzos far exceeded the risks of not doing so. I am certain there are many circumstances similar to mine. Will the panel address circumstances such as I just described?

Edit: If the panel does not address these types of circumstances, I would consider that to be bias.   

"The Residual Medium and Long-term Cognitive Effects of Benzodiazepine Use: An Updated Meta-analysis" https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29244060/

"Conclusions: The results of the study are important in that they corroborate the mounting evidence that a range of neuropsychological functions are impaired as a result of long-term benzodiazepine use, and that these are likely to persist even following withdrawal. The findings highlight the residual neurocognitive compromise associated with long-term benzodiazepine therapy as well as the important clinical implications of these results."

^That is not anecdotal evidence.

This is a panel of three harmed, highly educated patients and one benzo aware doctor presenting for a public audience. An audience who, in all likelihood, has never heard of this problem at all. I would NOT expect lengthly discussions about highly specific details that those who are new to the topic wouldn't understand. I'm sure everyone presenting would appreciate those who show up and support their efforts while they try to educate some new people out there about benzo harm and the need for better resources.

This is a really great opportunity, as it's done through the the reputable Colorado Consortium, to bring a an outsider who wants more information, or perhaps a skeptical family member or doctor (if possible), to show that this harm is real and serious!

One hundred percent agreement on these posts. My quick taper from Klonopin has intellectually damaged me beyond belief. I can barely form clear sentences now. I am easily confused and cannot follow discussion. I am now so cognitively disabled I can no longer be a functioning member of society, and yet what happened to me, and others, is not recognized, has no research, and hardly anyone believes  us. Totally in the shadows. We need research.

The evidence suggests that most people will recover relatively quickly (<18 months), some people will recover after many years, and some people will never recover. I suppose you can say to a person that is 12 years out "well, you'll probably recover in another year or two", but that's just a supposition. And if that person drops dead for whatever reason the next day, they never recovered. Some of the time scales of the people in protracted are long enough that some people will certainly pass away for whatever reason without ever knowing what normal life is again.

Your experience of a relatively quick recovery is as you admit just one segment of the population as well. Thankfully the larger segment. But you are just as biased as anyone else by your experience.

The evidence suggests that most people will recover relatively quickly (<18 months), some people will recover after many years, and some people will never recover. I suppose you can say to a person that is 12 years out "well, you'll probably recover in another year or two", but that's just a supposition. And if that person drops dead for whatever reason the next day, they never recovered. Some of the time scales of the people in protracted are long enough that some people will certainly pass away for whatever reason without ever knowing what normal life is again.

Your experience of a relatively quick recovery is as you admit just one segment of the population as well. Thankfully the larger segment. But you are just as biased as anyone else by your experience.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

well said  and so true Nathan. thank you

Just  knowing which segment we belong in

is difficult to ascertain,

for ourselves or even  others on this journey

as we are all individually different.

in age, in time on the benzos. time off the benzos etc etc etc

Even experts in many fields

are still floundering re the right help

and more research is needed

well meaning suppositions,

although meant to be supportive

are often not helpful for many protracted people sadly. :( 

Dear doctors,

You made a mistake by prescribing benzos to us.

Now please please find a way to help us back to normalcy.

If you continue to discuss the harms it causes then it's of no use as we better know it than you.

Help us taper it efficiently and tell us something transforming that we already do not know.

What you describe as my bias is my experience and similar experiences of my personal friends. I was in the situation of being the sole breadwinner for my family and became totally dysfunctional following the discontinuation of Valium. My doctors and I agreed that I needed to reinstate (they prescribed Xanax) for my and my childrens' benefit. As it turned out, after reinstating and regaining my cognitive and physical capabilities, I was able to assist my children in completing their educations with honors and are they are now medical doctors. I was able to successfully continue with and then retire from my career. For me, the benefits  associated with reinstating the use of benzos far exceeded the risks of not doing so. I am certain there are many circumstances similar to mine. Will the panel address circumstances such as I just described?

Edit: If the panel does not address these types of circumstances, I would consider that to be bias.   

"The Residual Medium and Long-term Cognitive Effects of Benzodiazepine Use: An Updated Meta-analysis" https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29244060/

"Conclusions: The results of the study are important in that they corroborate the mounting evidence that a range of neuropsychological functions are impaired as a result of long-term benzodiazepine use, and that these are likely to persist even following withdrawal. The findings highlight the residual neurocognitive compromise associated with long-term benzodiazepine therapy as well as the important clinical implications of these results."

^That is not anecdotal evidence.

Just as there are instances like yours where the decision to reinstate worked for you, there are many others where that was not the case. Additionally, there are many people, myself included, who suffered cognitive decline, memory issues and balance problems while taking benzos.  Of course these symptoms did persist and even increase after my jump off but once healed they disappeared completely. In fact, I believe my ability to concentrate increased to a higher level than before I was put on benzos. This focus I had helped me have one of the best performances of my adult life. This occurred 2 years off benzos.

My children were also very successful in school, honors students with many advanced degrees but I really don't take credit for it, it goes to them. They did the work.

pianogirl

edit: typo

This recent Irish/UK study might be of interest here:

"Long-term anticholinergic, benzodiazepine and Z-drug use in community-dwelling older adults: What is the impact on cognitive and neuropsychological performance?"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34227695/

Abstract

Background: Long-term use of anticholinergics, benzodiazepines and related drugs (or "Z-drugs") have been associated with cognitive impairment and dementia. However, the relationship of these medications with cognitive function and domain-specific neuropsychological performance in older adults without dementia, is unclear.

Methods: 5135 older adults (74.0 ± 8.3 years; 67.4% female) without a diagnosis of dementia were recruited in Ireland to the Trinity-Ulster-Department of Agriculture (TUDA) study. Detailed cognitive and neuropsychological assessment was conducted using the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB) and Repeatable Battery for Assessment of Neuropsychological Status (RBANS).

Results: A total of 44% (2259 of 5153) used either a potential or definite anticholinergic medication. Overall, 9.7% (n = 500) used a definite anticholinergic medication. Regular benzodiazepine use was reported by 7% (n = 363), whilst 7.5% (n = 387) used a "Z-drug". Use of definite, but not potential anticholinergic medication was associated with poorer performance on all three assessments (β: -0.09; 95% CI: -0.14, -0.03, p = 0.002 for MMSE; β: -0.04; 95% CI: -0.06, -0.02; p < 0.001 for FAB; β: -4.15; 95% CI: -5.64, -2.66; p < 0.001 for RBANS) in addition to all domains of the RBANS. Regular benzodiazepine use was also associated with poorer neuropsychological test performance, especially in Immediate Memory (β: -4.98; 95% CI: -6.81, -3.15; p < 0.001) and Attention (β: -6.81; 95% CI: -8.60, -5.03; p < 0.001) RBANS domains.

Conclusions: Regular use of definite anticholinergic medications and benzodiazepines, but not potential anticholinergics or "Z-drugs", was associated with poorer overall and domain-specific neuropsychological performance in older adults.

Just as there are instances like yours where the decision to reinstate worked for you, there are many others where that was not the case. Additionally, there are many people, myself included, who suffered cognitive decline, memory issues and balance problems while taking benzos.  Of course these symptoms did persist and even increase after my jump off but once healed they disappeared completely. In fact, I believe my ability to concentrate increased to a higher level than before I was put on benzos. This focus I had helped me have one of the best performances of my adult life. This occurred 2 years off benzos.

My children were also very successful in school, honors students with many advanced degrees but I really don't take credit for it, it goes to them. They did the work.

pianogirl

I'm very happy that you recovered so relatively quickly. But some of us are not so lucky. Believe me when I tell you, you can not image what it's like going on year after year with little or no progress. The daily grind of getting up every day knowing that it will be the same horror show as the day before.

You may think you can understand it, but you can't. Until you watch years four, five, and six roll by while you are stuck in the same wretched state, this is just an abstraction to you.  As every year goes by, your hope of getting better becomes dimmer and dimmer, till one day it's not there at all.

It's like a waterfall beating on a stone. No matter how strong the stone, eventually it gets worn away.

It's a hell of a thing to decide to go back on the poison that put you in this place. But at some point you just can't stand living like this anymore. I don't fault anyone that's made that decision.

pianogirl

I'm very happy that you recovered so relatively quickly. But some of us are not so lucky. Believe me when I tell you, you can not image what it's like going on year after year with little or no progress. The daily grind of getting up every day knowing that it will be the same horror show as the day before.

You may think you can understand it, but you can't. Until you watch years four, five, and six roll by while you are stuck in the same wretched state, this is just an abstraction to you.  As every year goes by, your hope of getting better becomes dimmer and dimmer, till one day it's not there at all.

It's like a waterfall beating on a stone. No matter how strong the stone, eventually it gets worn away.

It's a hell of a thing to decide to go back on the poison that put you in this place. But at some point you just can't stand living like this anymore. I don't fault anyone that's made that decision.

How long have you been unwell Nathan? I'm about 16 months off, but it took me 6 (yes really 6) years to taper. I was terribly sick on the drugs. I didn't know why I was sick and went down teh medical rabbit hole.  I have been bedridden the entire time since my taper started. I've seen plenty of people heal in the support groups in that time. I'm not sure if I will or what that means or why me.

Nicole, who is speaking at the event this post was created for, is off for at least 10 years and still sick. She has a lot of wisdom on protracted illness. She has improved some in the last few years, but not enough to function in life in the way she wants. I feel like my entire brain was changed, not just withdrawal, and there's no foreseeable path to return. However, it happened very suddenly, maybe it could unhappen suddenly as well? No guarantees, though. Sorry you are suffering.

"Long-term anticholinergic, benzodiazepine and Z-drug use in community-dwelling older adults: What is the impact on cognitive and neuropsychological performance?"

Abstract

Background: Long-term use of anticholinergics, benzodiazepines and related drugs (or "Z-drugs") have been associated with cognitive impairment and dementia. However, the relationship of these medications with cognitive function and domain-specific neuropsychological performance in older adults without dementia, is unclear.

Methods: 5135 older adults (74.0 ± 8.3 years; 67.4% female) without a diagnosis of dementia were recruited in Ireland to the Trinity-Ulster-Department of Agriculture (TUDA) study. Detailed cognitive and neuropsychological assessment was conducted using the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB) and Repeatable Battery for Assessment of Neuropsychological Status (RBANS).

Results: A total of 44% (2259 of 5153) used either a potential or definite anticholinergic medication. Overall, 9.7% (n = 500) used a definite anticholinergic medication. Regular benzodiazepine use was reported by 7% (n = 363), whilst 7.5% (n = 387) used a "Z-drug". Use of definite, but not potential anticholinergic medication was associated with poorer performance on all three assessments (β: -0.09; 95% CI: -0.14, -0.03, p = 0.002 for MMSE; β: -0.04; 95% CI: -0.06, -0.02; p < 0.001 for FAB; β: -4.15; 95% CI: -5.64, -2.66; p < 0.001 for RBANS) in addition to all domains of the RBANS. Regular benzodiazepine use was also associated with poorer neuropsychological test performance, especially in Immediate Memory (β: -4.98; 95% CI: -6.81, -3.15; p < 0.001) and Attention (β: -6.81; 95% CI: -8.60, -5.03; p < 0.001) RBANS domains.

Conclusions: Regular use of definite anticholinergic medications and benzodiazepines, but not potential anticholinergics or "Z-drugs", was associated with poorer overall and domain-specific neuropsychological performance in older adults.

I'm going to share this on our blog/newsletter.

Abstract

Yes, please do! I'm glad such research is being done. Important work.

Abstract

I appreciate it. Please let me know if you run into anything else interesting!

How long have you been unwell Nathan? I'm about 16 months off, but it took me 6 (yes really 6) years to taper. I was terribly sick on the drugs. I didn't know why I was sick and went down teh medical rabbit hole.  I have been bedridden the entire time since my taper started. I've seen plenty of people heal in the support groups in that time. I'm not sure if I will or what that means or why me.

Nicole, who is speaking at the event this post was created for, is off for at least 10 years and still sick. She has a lot of wisdom on protracted illness. She has improved some in the last few years, but not enough to function in life in the way she wants. I feel like my entire brain was changed, not just withdrawal, and there's no foreseeable path to return. However, it happened very suddenly, maybe it could unhappen suddenly as well? No guarantees, though. Sorry you are suffering.

I tried on and off to get off my benzos and z-drugs for about 4 years. My last successful tape lasted a year. I've been off these drugs for a bit over 6 years now.

Abstract

I appreciate it. Please let me know if you run into anything else interesting!

Absolutely! Will do. My pleasure.  :)