Adrenaline Rushes

[No...]

I was on Lorazapam 2 to 3mg a night for sleep. It was the only thing that put me to sleep. They gave me Ambien, Lunesta, Sequel, Hydrozine and none of them worked for my sleep. I was on it for only about 2 weeks. I had to c/t it. I have been off them since September 30th.

I get these adrenaline rushes every single time I try to fall asleep. I sit in bed all night trying to sleep and if I do happen to drift off I have vivid dreams and wake after an hour. Is this from withdrawal or is this something else? I feel like I am slowly going crazy from lack of sleep.

I've tried cbd oil and melatonin to try and help me sleep. Last night I was just energized all night instead of tired because of the adrenaline rushes. I think I was able to sleep 50 minutes. Also when I wake up my arms and checks feel like they are on fire.

I need sleep so bad. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me sleep? I feel like giving up and just going back on the lorazapam so I can sleep again. I know this would only help short term and would make things worse but I am truly at a lose.

I was on Lorazapam 2 to 3mg a night for sleep. It was the only thing that put me to sleep. They gave me Ambien, Lunesta, Sequel, Hydrozine and none of them worked for my sleep. I was on it for only about 2 weeks. I had to c/t it. I have been off them since September 30th.

I get these adrenaline rushes every single time I try to fall asleep. I sit in bed all night trying to sleep and if I do happen to drift off I have vivid dreams and wake after an hour. Is this from withdrawal or is this something else? I feel like I am slowly going crazy from lack of sleep.

I've tried cbd oil and melatonin to try and help me sleep. Last night I was just energized all night instead of tired because of the adrenaline rushes. I think I was able to sleep 50 minutes. Also when I wake up my arms and checks feel like they are on fire.

I need sleep so bad. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me sleep? I feel like giving up and just going back on the lorazapam so I can sleep again. I know this would only help short term and would make things worse but I am truly at a lose.

Hello

The ambience/lunesta are in the same family of drugs as lorazepam.

They all act on GABAA receptors which are BZD benzodiazepine receptors.

So, although you were on lorazepam 2-3mg for 2 weeks, which is a big dose, you could be experiencing withdrawal.

Cortisol is responsible for the rushes, this is produced by the adrenals.

It is the hormone that wakes us up, the hormone that we produce when we are under stress, in fight or flight mode.

I don't know you age or gender, if you are female and middle aged, peri-menopause can also cause these.

They are not very nice, they greet me on a morning after "not enough sleep" when the skies are still dark.

I am sorry that you are in this situation.

I use valerian, it doesn't kick in for two or so weeks but it does help that unwanted excess cortisol.

I also use holy basil and ashwagandha.

I had a break off them which might explain why I am being greeted to the new day in this unpleasant way.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will give them a try. If I may ask how much valerian you use and if it's pill or liquid? How long before bed do you take them?

I am an almost 40 year old female. The cortisol rushes are not something I want to live the rest of my life with. They are pretty maddening.

I had 5 days with no adrenal rushes. I was able to fall asleep with out any add but woke up every hour. I took some vitamins other then the normal ones I was taking and the rushes came back again :'( I'm so discouraged now. I'm gonna go crazy with this. I'm afraid to try and sleep. Not even the tapping is helping.

Hey Nova215.  While reading your post I had to double check that it was actually you and not me that wrote it, lol.  What you wrote is exactly what I am experiencing at 10 months post jump.  It is maddening. 

I have not yet found anything that helps.  They say time will eventually heal this symptom and it may take a while.  In the meantime I have to constantly remind myself that I am healing, that it takes a long time to heal, and that I will eventually be able to rest normally.

I know this may not bring you immediate comfort but wanted to acknowledge you and tell you that you are not alone in this journey.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Are you getting any sleep? I tried all last night to sleep but the rushes wouldn't let me. I tried Valerian root, melatonin and cbd oil. None of them helped. For all I know they might have made it worse.

I know I need to calm myself down. It's just so hard when you get zero sleep and you panic the whole next day only to probably ruin your sleep again.

Lol no.  No sleep.  I have just accepted that I will not sleep from 3am on and I use that time to do chores, work, bake, etc.  I am a zombie most of the time.

I dare not try anything.  I have seen too many try, fail and make it worse.  My belief is that time will heal this.  But it may take 12, 18 even 24 months.  Others may disagree or have an opposing opinion and I welcome that.

I am not sure there is any way to actually calm down.  When the adrenaline courses through my body I am not able to calm.  I am only able to distract away from it by keeping myself busy.

And yes.  This is really, really hard.  But - we will heal in time.

I use valerian, it doesn't kick in for two or so weeks but it does help that unwanted excess cortisol.

I also use holy basil and ashwagandha

Agree! Valerian helps with cortisol rushes...not so intense....does take a week or two to kick in...Don't stop taking it just because you start sleeping better....wait until a few months and your healed up..I stopped months ago only to wish the Valerian was deep in my system like before...

I took some valerian root last night(worst night ever). Now I'm afraid to take it again. Is there a certain time I should take it for best results?

Is it good to try and nap during the day or is it better to wait and try and sleep at night?

JBen, have you had insomnia like this the entire time or it just started at your 10th month off?

I have not had my adrenal glands checked.  I am pretty confident it is benzos.  I did not have any problems like this last year before taking benzos. 

This thread explains really well what I believe is going on.

This one paragraph is what I go back to time and again to remind myself of what is going on after benzos have injured our brain/cns:

“ The process to reverse this takes a while.  GABA receptors have to UPregulate and effectively "reopen" or "grow back".  Glutamate receptors must DOWNregulate, or effectively "turn off" or "prune back".  And IN this mix, all the smaller monoamines (neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine) must somehow find a way to synthesize in the mix.  Through weeks and months the body is rebuildling millions of neurons, and changing pathways, rebuilding GABA, downregulating Glutamate, rebuilding serotonin, rebuilding dopamine, rebuilding norepinephrine.  And ALL the enzymes and hormones that need to be made are attempting to be made while this is going on.  Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR streel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.”

I am not going to run to any doctors trying to find out ‘whats wrong with me’ until sometime around 18-24 months.  I am very very very slowly getting better a little at a time.

I think that is a wise choice.  I would not recommend going back on benzos or z-drugs.  The withdrawal may just get worse and you go on and off them.  It is not a sustainable solution to your insomnia problem.

I truly hope you heal quickly.  Given your short use you should be ok much sooner than most.

A former member recommended GTF Chromium 200 mg to me. Take one in the evening (like with dinner), take another dose at bedtime. It works really well for me, instead of having adrenaline waking me up at 3 - 4 am instead of 7 - 8 am, now it wakes me 6 - 7 am.

And I'm probably going to check out for another month, more or less. I just don't feel I need BB now, or it really needs me. Dropped a few mg Valium while mostly away. See you all whenever.

Hey BL.  I tired GTF upon your recommendation on another thread.  It didnt help me unfortunately.  Did it take a while to kick in for you?  I would love to hear if others have tried and succeeded.

Hey BL.  I tired GTF upon your recommendation on another thread.  It didnt help me unfortunately.  Did it take a while to kick in for you?  I would love to hear if others have tried and succeeded.

It only took a few days of use. I did notice small increments of delayed adrenal release waking me up, 15 minutes, 30 minutes; each day got better. Within 4 days, my sleep improved dramatically. I do have small releases that wake me up after about 3 - 4 hours, but I generally fall back asleep for a bit. It's not perfect, my sleep is very broken, but it's better than what I had before. The only night I really sleep well (7 hours, sometimes I actually get 8) is when I use Vistaril, which the same former member who suggested I try the GTF Chromium, said not to use more than twice a week. I usually pick Sunday and Wednesday as my Vistaril nights.