Colonoscopy schedule/Benzo used for Anesthesia/Should I postpone? Alternative?

[Bl...]

Greetings Buddies,

Please advise and thank you in advance. I'm 53 years old. Three years ago during my first colonoscopy the doctor discovered a large pulp which was removed....These pulps are the possible beginning of colon cancer. Doctor said I need you to come every 3 years for colonoscopy for the rest of your live. I said I thought it was every 10 years? He said no, for you it will every 3 years.

I have been benzo free for 5 month exactly today. I have healed a lot.

My question: I'm scheduled for Nov to have another one and I know they use Benzo to sedate for two hours. I DO NOT WANT TO DAMAGE MY BRAIN AT ALL AT THIS POINT AFTER GOING THROUGH HELL THE PAST 5 MONTHS. Should I wait until next year when I have done more healing? I would be so upset if using Benzo sets me back with intense recovery pain. Is there an alternative to Benzo in this procedure?

Hello,

It's possible to have a colonoscopy without benzos. Benzos are listed on my chart as an allergy. At times I have to explain why this is the case, other times not so much.  For all my procedures including colonoscopy they have given me propofol which I tolerate very well. 

Can you speak to the doctor and express your concerns?  Additionally, the anesthesiologist should talk to you prior to the procedure and you can address your concerns with that person as well.

pianogirl

I asked for propofol. The anesthesiologist had no problem with it. Having had Versed lthe time before, I compared the wake-up times and waking up was faster on propofol.

About polyps: try not to worry too much. Your colonoscopies are catching them. My doc always finds polyps and shows me the pics. (Gee thanks). I'm 73 and expect to live a lot longer thanks to polyps being caught during colonoscopies!

Best to you,

:smitten:

Katz

I asked for propofol. The anesthesiologist had no problem with it. Having had Versed lthe time before, I compared the wake-up times and waking up was faster on propofol.

About polyps: try not to worry too much. Your colonoscopies are catching them. My doc always finds polyps and shows me the pics. (Gee thanks). I'm 73 and expect to live a lot longer thanks to polyps being caught during colonoscopies!

Best to you,

Katz

Hi Katz, Thanks for the comforting note. Why would he want every 3 years? I know he caught one but it was one only one. Did you have any damage to your brain from the propofal? I am think to postpone this until 2022 Winter ( one year).

Blue

I recently had my Dr. recommend a colonoscopy and I am putting it off. I had a concern with being given Benzo's and not going to sleep since I have a tolerance. The Dr. told me they use propofol and that it has nothing to do with benzo's. My biggest fear is that it won't put me to sleep and I will be awake the whole time. I need to schedule it in the near future. I still nervous though.

I recently had my Dr. recommend a colonoscopy and I am putting it off. I had a concern with being given Benzo's and not going to sleep since I have a tolerance. The Dr. told me they use propofol and that it has nothing to do with benzo's. My biggest fear is that it won't put me to sleep and I will be awake the whole time. I need to schedule it in the near future. I still nervous though.

Hi HM,

I just had a EGD this past Wednesday I used propofol.  It put me right out but I am still dealing with extreme anxiety that I feel was caused from the propofol.  It may just be me anxiety has been one of my worst symptoms but it has really been amped up.  I'm scheduled for a hida scan and CT with contrast but I'm having second thoughts.  I'm concerned about the contrast and whatever they put in your vein for the hida scan.  My system is so sensitive to meds it's just ridiculous.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hugs❤

Hey Blue, I get colonoscopies every 5 years. My partner had a couple of big polyps and she gets them every 2 years. I think it just depends on what the doc finds. I would rather get a colonoscopy than skip a few years and find that holy s**t the polpys are big and ooops, Houston we have a problem. I think once you have one polyp, you may develop more. (Being older increases or chances of getting them, too). It's really no big deal, though. The prep sucks. But a little propofol, a nice nap, and you're home to go about your business.

Nope, I had no brain damage from propofol. Why would you think it might give you brain damage? Have you ever read anything from a credible source that suggests this?

Best

Katz,

Hey Blue, I get colonoscopies every 5 years. My partner had a couple of big polyps and she gets them every 2 years. I think it just depends on what the doc finds. I would rather get a colonoscopy than skip a few years and find that holy s**t the polpys are big and ooops, Houston we have a problem. I think once you have one polyp, you may develop more. (Being older increases or chances of getting them, too). It's really no big deal, though. The prep sucks. But a little propofol, a nice nap, and you're home to go about your business.

Nope, I had no brain damage from propofol. Why would you think it might give you brain damage? Have you ever read anything from a credible source that suggests this?

Best

Katz,

Thanks for share. No I have not read anything about propofol and brain damaged...after valium abuse on my end, I'm not taking anymore chances...no sir, my brain is number one in the pecking order of the body... 8)

Thanks for share. No I have not read anything about propofol and brain damaged...after valium abuse on my end, I'm not taking anymore chances...no sir, my brain is number one in the pecking order of the body.

Gotcha, blue. I'm leery of most things now, after my nightmare trip through benzos.

Best,

katz

Thanks for share. No I have not read anything about propofol and brain damaged...after valium abuse on my end, I'm not taking anymore chances...no sir, my brain is number one in the pecking order of the body.

Gotcha, blue. I'm leery of most things now, after my nightmare trip through benzos.

Best,

katz

AMEN TO THAT!! I with you! Nightmare is right on!  8)

Just a point of interest is yes the sedating meds are of possible concern, but for some it is the bowel prep..magnesium glycinate. If theres a sensitivity to magnesium or just GI flora being disrupted and gut neurotransmitters. this can ramp up anxiety and other psyche symptoms for a bit too.

Wow, perfect timing for this post because I have to schedule a colonoscopy as well. The doc said they will use propofol. I have to really clear my bowels for the procedure to be effective, and that is what worries me most, as a severe constipation sufferer.

I’m benefiting from all these great replies!

Wishing you luck with your procedure! Should be just fine.

Hi Buddies,

Since I am only 5 months from the jump and still think I am pretty raw, I postponed mine until next 2022.

I'm doing well considering all that happened in the last 5 months and I just can't risk being set back with the extreme anxiety attacks, insomnia.

I did not think about the possible backlash of what we have to do with our digestive system in order to prep for this procedure.

I don't think postponing a few months will make a problem. Sometimes we have to out weigh the risks and the symptoms  which were out of this world as I don't have to explain here.

WE DO HEAL

Blue

• 3 months later...

I am 52 and my doctor suggested I have a colonoscopy. O told him Xanax doesn't work for me and he told me that they use propofol. I was worried it wouldn't make me go to sleep because I was suffering from horrific insomnia. I am still dealing with insomnia but it's better. Anyway, I took a pass on the appointment because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. Perhaps I will reschedule in 2022. I don't know yet. I also missed a mammogram appointment a few months ago because of insomnia. I need to reschedule it.

Has anyone with benzo tolerance had a colonoscopy successfully with propofol? I am still nervous about it. My doctor said he has never seen it not work on anybody in his career.

Has anyone with benzo tolerance had a colonoscopy successfully with propofol?

Yes! I had my colonoscopy done with propofol. In some ways it's superior to Versed, imo. You wake up faster. Oh, and I had no issues with the propofol putting me to sleep. Worked like a charm. It will probably work the same for you . . . many buddies have used it for colonoscopies. And it's important to start getting them when we reach, ahem, a certain age.

Best wishes,

Katz

• 2 months later...

Wow, perfect timing for this post because I have to schedule a colonoscopy as well. The doc said they will use propofol. I have to really clear my bowels for the procedure to be effective, and that is what worries me most, as a severe constipation sufferer.

I’m benefiting from all these great replies!

Wishing you luck with your procedure! Should be just fine.

I didn't post an update on here about my colonoscopy but I should. I told the doctor I had adverse effects from benzos and didn't want them used in my anesthesia and he assured me there were alternatives. Before the procedure, I felt ill from the Prep and had asked for anti-nausea medication.

During my procedure, I aspirated, and the fluid went into my lungs and they just continued the procedure like nothing happened and let me cough and choke throughout the procedure. I lost my voice from the coughing and developed pneumonia from the aspiration which required an ER visit. I was given 2 rounds of antibiotics for the pneumonia- which I felt like I had to have because I didn't want it to get worse. Thankfully, I tolerated the treatment well and it took a few months but I am doing better. 

I found out later that they never gave me the anti-nausea medication, and also, they gave me Versed and fentanyl for my anesthesia. Versed is a benzodiazepine. I told the doctor NO benzos. And when I asked for the surgery notes, there is no record of me requesting no benzos. He altered the notes because I started complaining and asking questions and I know he suspected that I would take him to the Medical Board or worse.

Trying to write a formal complaint has been tedious and ridiculously fraught with roadblocks. First, I had to file to get surgical notes from a third party, then I had to write a formal complaint though my insurance company which took forever and resulted in nothing, then I wrote a letter to the State medical board, which took a long time for me to write and fill out with my cognitive impairment, but then I found out that I contacted the wrong Board, it had to be the Osteopathic Board and the also had no record of the anesthesiologist. I also had to gather any other supporting doctor visits.

So now, I have the paperwork for the Osteo Board next to me, and even though it has been months since the incident, I must gather my strength to write another formal complaint because I am sick and tired of these doctors getting away with harming patients, specifically ME in this instance.

It is very important that you double check the anesthesia cocktail before you get the procedure, that was my big mistake.

OMG Tatertot I am so sorry that happened to you thank goodness you are ok now.  That is so ridiculous glad you are filing your complaints.  Don't give up they need to be accountable for what has been done to you.

Prayers and strength for you.

OMG Tatertot I am so sorry that happened to you thank goodness you are ok now.  That is so ridiculous glad you are filing your complaints.  Don't give up they need to be accountable for what has been done to you.

Prayers and strength for you.

Thank you so much, Dianedeedee. I need the strength and prayers because it takes so much mental effort and I am still quite exhausted. Still haven't completed the new round of complaints yet, but have the supporting docs printed. Hope there isn't a statute of limitations!

• 2 weeks later...

I am 53 and my doctor said I can just do the Cologuard thing instead of a colonoscopy. I just have to send in a sample and they check it for abnormal cells, I think.

Whew! lol. I was NOT looking forward to the colonoscopy deal. No fun.