Author Topic: Colonoscopy schedule/Benzo used for Anesthesia/Should I postpone? Alternative?  (Read 1341 times)

[Buddie]

Thanks for share. No I have not read anything about propofol and brain damaged...after valium abuse on my end, I'm not taking anymore chances...no sir, my brain is number one in the pecking order of the body.

Gotcha, blue. I'm leery of most things now, after my nightmare trip through benzos.

Best,

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Thanks for share. No I have not read anything about propofol and brain damaged...after valium abuse on my end, I'm not taking anymore chances...no sir, my brain is number one in the pecking order of the body.

Gotcha, blue. I'm leery of most things now, after my nightmare trip through benzos.

Best,

[...]

AMEN TO THAT!! I with you! Nightmare is right on!  8)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Just a point of interest is yes the sedating meds are of possible concern, but for some it is the bowel prep..magnesium glycinate. If theres a sensitivity to magnesium or just GI flora being disrupted and gut neurotransmitters. this can ramp up anxiety and other psyche symptoms for a bit too.

[Buddie]

Wow, perfect timing for this post because I have to schedule a colonoscopy as well. The doc said they will use propofol. I have to really clear my bowels for the procedure to be effective, and that is what worries me most, as a severe constipation sufferer.
Iím benefiting from all these great replies!
Wishing you luck with your procedure! Should be just fine.

[Buddie]

Hi Buddies,
              Since I am only 5 months from the jump and still think I am pretty raw, I postponed mine until next 2022.

I'm doing well considering all that happened in the last 5 months and I just can't risk being set back with the extreme anxiety attacks, insomnia.

I did not think about the possible backlash of what we have to do with our digestive system in order to prep for this procedure.

I don't think postponing a few months will make a problem. Sometimes we have to out weigh the risks and the symptoms  which were out of this world as I don't have to explain here.

WE DO HEAL
Blue

[Buddie]

I am 52 and my doctor suggested I have a colonoscopy. O told him Xanax doesn't work for me and he told me that they use propofol. I was worried it wouldn't make me go to sleep because I was suffering from horrific insomnia. I am still dealing with insomnia but it's better. Anyway, I took a pass on the appointment because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. Perhaps I will reschedule in 2022. I don't know yet. I also missed a mammogram appointment a few months ago because of insomnia. I need to reschedule it.

Has anyone with benzo tolerance had a colonoscopy successfully with propofol? I am still nervous about it. My doctor said he has never seen it not work on anybody in his career.

[Buddie]

Has anyone with benzo tolerance had a colonoscopy successfully with propofol?

Yes! I had my colonoscopy done with propofol. In some ways it's superior to Versed, imo. You wake up faster. Oh, and I had no issues with the propofol putting me to sleep. Worked like a charm. It will probably work the same for you . . . many buddies have used it for colonoscopies. And it's important to start getting them when we reach, ahem, a certain age.

Best wishes,

:smitten:

[...]

[Buddie]

Anyone get one of those hida scans?  My Dr recommended one.

[Buddie]

Wow, perfect timing for this post because I have to schedule a colonoscopy as well. The doc said they will use propofol. I have to really clear my bowels for the procedure to be effective, and that is what worries me most, as a severe constipation sufferer.
Iím benefiting from all these great replies!
Wishing you luck with your procedure! Should be just fine.

I didn't post an update on here about my colonoscopy but I should. I told the doctor I had adverse effects from benzos and didn't want them used in my anesthesia and he assured me there were alternatives. Before the procedure, I felt ill from the Prep and had asked for anti-nausea medication.

During my procedure, I aspirated, and the fluid went into my lungs and they just continued the procedure like nothing happened and let me cough and choke throughout the procedure. I lost my voice from the coughing and developed pneumonia from the aspiration which required an ER visit. I was given 2 rounds of antibiotics for the pneumonia- which I felt like I had to have because I didn't want it to get worse. Thankfully, I tolerated the treatment well and it took a few months but I am doing better. 

I found out later that they never gave me the anti-nausea medication, and also, they gave me Versed and fentanyl for my anesthesia. Versed is a benzodiazepine. I told the doctor NO benzos. And when I asked for the surgery notes, there is no record of me requesting no benzos. He altered the notes because I started complaining and asking questions and I know he suspected that I would take him to the Medical Board or worse.

Trying to write a formal complaint has been tedious and ridiculously fraught with roadblocks. First, I had to file to get surgical notes from a third party, then I had to write a formal complaint though my insurance company which took forever and resulted in nothing, then I wrote a letter to the State medical board, which took a long time for me to write and fill out with my cognitive impairment, but then I found out that I contacted the wrong Board, it had to be the Osteopathic Board and the also had no record of the anesthesiologist. I also had to gather any other supporting doctor visits.

So now, I have the paperwork for the Osteo Board next to me, and even though it has been months since the incident, I must gather my strength to write another formal complaint because I am sick and tired of these doctors getting away with harming patients, specifically ME in this instance.

It is very important that you double check the anesthesia cocktail before you get the procedure, that was my big mistake.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:06:08 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

OMG [...] I am so sorry that happened to you thank goodness you are ok now.  That is so ridiculous glad you are filing your complaints.  Don't give up they need to be accountable for what has been done to you.
Prayers and strength for you.