Author Topic: Colonoscopy schedule/Benzo used for Anesthesia/Should I postpone? Alternative?  (Read 1343 times)

[Buddie]

Greetings Buddies,
 Please advise and thank you in advance. I'm 53 years old. Three years ago during my first colonoscopy the doctor discovered a large pulp which was removed....These pulps are the possible beginning of colon cancer. Doctor said I need you to come every 3 years for colonoscopy for the rest of your live. I said I thought it was every 10 years? He said no, for you it will every 3 years.

I have been benzo free for 5 month exactly today. I have healed a lot.

My question: I'm scheduled for Nov to have another one and I know they use Benzo to sedate for two hours. I DO NOT WANT TO DAMAGE MY BRAIN AT ALL AT THIS POINT AFTER GOING THROUGH HELL THE PAST 5 MONTHS. Should I wait until next year when I have done more healing? I would be so upset if using Benzo sets me back with intense recovery pain. Is there an alternative to Benzo in this procedure?

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Hello,

It's possible to have a colonoscopy without benzos. Benzos are listed on my chart as an allergy. At times I have to explain why this is the case, other times not so much.  For all my procedures including colonoscopy they have given me propofol which I tolerate very well. 

Can you speak to the doctor and express your concerns?  Additionally, the anesthesiologist should talk to you prior to the procedure and you can address your concerns with that person as well.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Thank you!! great advice!!  :)

[Buddie]

They can sometimes use propofol for the procedure it is not benzo related.  You might ask about that.

[Buddie]

I asked for propofol. The anesthesiologist had no problem with it. Having had Versed lthe time before, I compared the wake-up times and waking up was faster on propofol.

About polyps: try not to worry too much. Your colonoscopies are catching them. My doc always finds polyps and shows me the pics. (Gee thanks). I'm 73 and expect to live a lot longer thanks to polyps being caught during colonoscopies!

Best to you,

:smitten:

[...]

[Buddie]

I asked for propofol. The anesthesiologist had no problem with it. Having had Versed lthe time before, I compared the wake-up times and waking up was faster on propofol.

About polyps: try not to worry too much. Your colonoscopies are catching them. My doc always finds polyps and shows me the pics. (Gee thanks). I'm 73 and expect to live a lot longer thanks to polyps being caught during colonoscopies!

Best to you,

:smitten:

[...]

Hi [...], Thanks for the comforting note. Why would he want every 3 years? I know he caught one but it was one only one. Did you have any damage to your brain from the propofal? I am think to postpone this until 2022 Winter ( one year).

Blue

[Buddie]

I recently had my Dr. recommend a colonoscopy and I am putting it off. I had a concern with being given Benzo's and not going to sleep since I have a tolerance. The Dr. told me they use propofol and that it has nothing to do with benzo's. My biggest fear is that it won't put me to sleep and I will be awake the whole time. I need to schedule it in the near future. I still nervous though.

[Buddie]

I recently had my Dr. recommend a colonoscopy and I am putting it off. I had a concern with being given Benzo's and not going to sleep since I have a tolerance. The Dr. told me they use propofol and that it has nothing to do with benzo's. My biggest fear is that it won't put me to sleep and I will be awake the whole time. I need to schedule it in the near future. I still nervous though.

Hi [...],
I just had a EGD this past Wednesday I used propofol.  It put me right out but I am still dealing with extreme anxiety that I feel was caused from the propofol.  It may just be me anxiety has been one of my worst symptoms but it has really been amped up.  I'm scheduled for a hida scan and CT with contrast but I'm having second thoughts.  I'm concerned about the contrast and whatever they put in your vein for the hida scan.  My system is so sensitive to meds it's just ridiculous.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hugs❤

[Buddie]

[quoteHi [...], Thanks for the comforting note. Why would he want every 3 years? I know he caught one but it was one only one. Did you have any damage to your brain from the propofal? I am think to postpone this until 2022 Winter ( one year).][/quote]

Hey Blue, I get colonoscopies every 5 years. My partner had a couple of big polyps and she gets them every 2 years. I think it just depends on what the doc finds. I would rather get a colonoscopy than skip a few years and find that holy s**t the polpys are big and ooops, Houston we have a problem. I think once you have one polyp, you may develop more. (Being older increases or chances of getting them, too). It's really no big deal, though. The prep sucks. But a little propofol, a nice nap, and you're home to go about your business.

Nope, I had no brain damage from propofol. Why would you think it might give you brain damage? Have you ever read anything from a credible source that suggests this?

Best

[...],

[Buddie]

[quoteHi [...], Thanks for the comforting note. Why would he want every 3 years? I know he caught one but it was one only one. Did you have any damage to your brain from the propofal? I am think to postpone this until 2022 Winter ( one year).]

Hey Blue, I get colonoscopies every 5 years. My partner had a couple of big polyps and she gets them every 2 years. I think it just depends on what the doc finds. I would rather get a colonoscopy than skip a few years and find that holy s**t the polpys are big and ooops, Houston we have a problem. I think once you have one polyp, you may develop more. (Being older increases or chances of getting them, too). It's really no big deal, though. The prep sucks. But a little propofol, a nice nap, and you're home to go about your business.

Nope, I had no brain damage from propofol. Why would you think it might give you brain damage? Have you ever read anything from a credible source that suggests this?

Best

[...],
[/quote]

Thanks for share. No I have not read anything about propofol and brain damaged...after valium abuse on my end, I'm not taking anymore chances...no sir, my brain is number one in the pecking order of the body... 8)