Importance of potassium in withdrawal

[sa...]

I just wanted to share something I have discovered in my long process of healing from benzos.  Potassium is key.  The reason for this is because low potassium levels cause many of the symptoms we experience including anxiety, insomnia, tachycardia, brain fog, and fatigue.  And the extreme amount of stress we endure during withdrawal actually rapidly depletes potassium levels, along with a lot of the other nutrients.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Does_the_emotional_state_have_a_role_in_lowering_the_potassium_and_sodium_level#:~:text=Stress%20hormones%20will%20reduce%20serum,4.06%20to%203.22%20(average).

Although potassium is abundant in many of the foods we eat, a lot of people do not eat the high potassium foods during withdrawal because of food sensitivities.  Foods highest in potassium include white beans, tomatoes, potatoes, and lentils.  Most vegetables and fruits have a good amount of potassium.  So if you've been living on sandwiches, frozen pizza, and pop tarts, you're not getting enough to even maintain a healthy person, let alone someone going through withdrawal. 

The way I get my potassium levels up depends on my circumstances.  Right now, I'm having trouble with histamine or I would drink V8 juice every day.  There's about 800 mg of potassium in one serving of V8.  When I can't have V8, I make a high potassium electrolyte drink.  Here is the recipe:

1 T honey or black strap molasses

1 tsp potassium chloride powder

1 tsp salt

pinch of baking soda

6 c water

I drink that slowly throughout the day. Not only does it help with potassium, but it obviously helps to keep me hydrated. 

Other good ways to get potassium:

Potato peel broth

White bean soup

Juicing veggies

• 2 months later...
I know Cream of Tartar is high in potassium. I don't like bananas anymore, so when I don't have low sodium V8 or my coconut water (coca Vita I think it's called)  to drink, I just throw about 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar into a drink. 

I know Cream of Tartar is high in potassium. I don't like bananas anymore, so when I don't have low sodium V8 or my coconut water (coca Vita I think it's called)  to drink, I just throw about 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar into a drink.

Cream of tarter is something I have used in the past too.  Not using it right now because I don't want to aggravate my acid reflux.