Short-term physical dependency to Alprazolam -- taper indicated?

[Wo...]

TLDR:

- Dosed 1-4mg xanax equivalent on 12 days within a 21 day span.

- Experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms.

- Safe to CT?

Hello buddies. This month I experimented with benzos and amphetamine. The product I was using was Galenika Ksalol 1mg, which should be equivalent to Xanax.

My daily doses were anywhere from 0.5mg to 4mg, probably averaging to 1.5mg per day of use. I dosed on 12 non-consecutive days:

• 1/9-4/9
  • 6/9
  • 10/9
  • 14/9-19/9

Then I stopped CT Alprazolam & amphetamine both. My last dose was 0.5mg (1:00 am on 20/9).  What surprised me was the strength of the rebound I experienced. I began to experience insomnia, muscle tension, twitching, sleep-time jerks, anxiety, agitative depression, diarrhea, derealization. I suspect that the amphetamine withdrawal is playing into this too.

Last evening (21/9), 40 hours after my last dose, my resting pulse was 105, oral temperature 37.2c/98.9f. Having not slept at all on the previous night may have contributed to these readings. In fear of seizure, I took 2x 0.25mg an hour apart, which enabled me to fall asleep and get a good night's rest. Currently it's 1pm, 15 hours since my last dose, and I'm not feeling too bad: minor muscle twitching and subtle tension/anxiety.

My dilemma is: how to proceed? Considering the short time of use and the intensity of symptoms, how safe is it to CT? I can deal with the symptoms, if only I was I sure that I would fine in the end. The difficult question is: will I be?

If a taper is indicated, I was thinking of the following day-to-day schedules:

a)

jump

b)

jump

c)

no dose

no dose

no dose

jump

Given the circumstances, would it be wiser to taper as quickly as possible, minimizing further exposure to Alprazolam, or to extend the taper? Thank you for your time.

Included a short summary into the beginning of the thread. It's almost 24 hours since my last 0.5mg dose now and I'm experiencing only moderate discomfort. The discomfort was further reduced by NAC. My current plan is to carry on with CT. I will be updating the thread later.

Hey! so I can't really say as I don't have as much experience as other people on this forum, but some good advice given to me was to pick a taper schedule but be flexible - i.e. listen to your symptoms. the thing about these meds I'm noticing is that they affect everyone differently. You could take low doses for 2 months and have no withdrawal, I could do the same and experience withdrawal.

If it makes you feel any better today is my 7th day after a fairly rapid taper after low dose xanax for two months, and I feel mostly normal. It's gonna take time for your body to stabilize and only time will tell.

i obviously can't say too much since I don't want to give you bad advice, but a taper is always a good idea, it reduces the risk of more serious withdrawal consequences and is supposed to be good in terms of staying okay in the long term too. As for which taper schedule that should depend on your symptoms I think. All three options you posted were a rapid taper too so it just depends on what you think you need. I listened to my body and my only rule was not to updose. I ended up taking less than I had planned and for fewer alternate days before I jumped because I didn't want to be on the med any longer and my symptoms sucked but were bearable.

I would say do what you're comfortable with and then give it some time. It'll feel really long (these 7 days totally have) but the time will pass: One thing I've seen reiterated on this forum a lot is that healing will happen. Just be prepared for the waxing and waning of withdrawal symptoms, and take care of your body.

if it's helpful to you you can read my first post on the forum, Pamster gave me some good advice and great guidance which helped me through figuring it out.

Take care, hope you're feeling better, benzos are no joke.

Hey!

Thanks a lot for your reply! Your thread was actually the first one I read when I found this forum. I found it valuable since your circumstances are not too far away from mine.

So I got a full night of somewhat below average quality sleep, which was a relief. This day has been a little easier than yesterday, with some tearfulness, muscle twitching and restlessness persisting. Since each can be a symptom of amphetamine withdrawal too, and since I abused amphetamine a bit more than I abused benzos, it's admittedly hard to figure out the causation behind the symptoms.

Now that I'm closing in on the 48 hour mark (you're right that time goes slow in this state of mind, earlier today I thought it was the third day already), I'm starting to feel a little weird and tense --  eerily paralleling your experience. I'm still internally debating whether I should dose something like 1/8-1/16 mg at 48h or carry on with the CT. My current thinking is that so long as I can fall asleep (which I likely will), CT is the way forward.

Even if you have some difficult sleeping, you may want to stay with CT given the short duration you were on.  I slept next to none my first three weeks after CT.  I am now to the point that I am no longer stressed over it as I am sleeping 4 to 6 hours in month two and three.  It is weighing the pros and cons of how long you want to have any amount of that poison in your body.  My thoughts anyway.

Even if you have some difficult sleeping, you may want to stay with CT given the short duration you were on.  I slept next to none my first three weeks after CT.  I am now to the point that I am no longer stressed over it as I am sleeping 4 to 6 hours in month two and three.  It is weighing the pros and cons of how long you want to have any amount of that poison in your body.  My thoughts anyway.

Thanks for your input! I share your sentiment. The less you have to subject your body to this drug, the better! The only reason I'm even considering tapering is the possibility of a seizure, which given the briefness of use and mildness of symptoms is realistically likely to be non-existent.

Having read through some short-term experiences, I fear that too lengthy a taper after short-term use could even worsen one's dependency by extending the period of influence of the drug. I.e. even if you're taking smaller doses, you're still causing the body to adapt to its presence.

It seems better to just get as far away as possible as soon as possible, before a full-blown dependency emerges. Glad to hear that you've begun getting sleep!

Wondering0. If my experience is any indication as we are all different, of the three months since I ct'd, the last 1.5 months have been very manageable.  The only symptoms I have currently are broken sleep, mild tinnitus and mild headaches.  I am eating healthy and absolutely no alcohol (although giving up my evening wine has been painful :)).  With my insomnia, I have never been tired but more wired.  I walk 2 miles daily and have been doing yard work during the hot rainy Florida summer.

Wondering0. If my experience is any indication as we are all different, of the three months since I ct'd, the last 1.5 months have been very manageable.  The only symptoms I have currently are broken sleep, mild tinnitus and mild headaches.  I am eating healthy and absolutely no alcohol (although giving up my evening wine has been painful :)).  With my insomnia, I have never been tired but more wired.  I walk 2 miles daily and have been doing yard work during the hot rainy Florida summer.

Sounds like you are on your way to full recovery by Christmas, perhaps even thanksgiving if you're American. If there is anything good to come out of this process, it's definitely the pressure towards reduced alcohol consumption. I had been drinking increasing amounts 2-3x a week and looking for the motivation to stop that. This couldn't have come at a better time in that regard.

Hey! Hope you're doing well now - I actually had that seizure concern issue too - but someone on the group reminded me that they were rare, and worrying doesn't help anything - additionally I was on low doses which made it unlikely. I agree with what someone else on the group said, I was given similar advice, theres no use increasing your body's dependency on the drug. It just prolongs withdrawal and recovery - I think I'd reiterate go by your symptoms. If they are manageable like mine were, I stuck with not taking anything more. That said, you were taking higher doses per day, but if your symptoms are okay I'd say trust your gut.

Keep us updated on your progress - it helps to have people listening in the more anxious moments and worrisome waves. Also, it doesn't matter what drug is causing which symptom at this point, it's just best you give your body time to recover from it.

I actually stopped drinking once I started to taper, and will probably not try another drink for another week. I'm worried about how it might affect my body or how quickly my recovery has gone. That said I miss having a few glasses of wine at dinner and things like that. It's great that you only took the med for such a short time, I think my low doses are the reason I'm recovering so rapidly. I think you'll be good soon! Don't hesitate to post if you have any other questions or need support or anything

Hey! Hope you're doing well now - I actually had that seizure concern issue too - but someone on the group reminded me that they were rare, and worrying doesn't help anything - additionally I was on low doses which made it unlikely. I agree with what someone else on the group said, I was given similar advice, theres no use increasing your body's dependency on the drug. It just prolongs withdrawal and recovery - I think I'd reiterate go by your symptoms. If they are manageable like mine were, I stuck with not taking anything more. That said, you were taking higher doses per day, but if your symptoms are okay I'd say trust your gut.

Keep us updated on your progress - it helps to have people listening in the more anxious moments and worrisome waves. Also, it doesn't matter what drug is causing which symptom at this point, it's just best you give your body time to recover from it.

I actually stopped drinking once I started to taper, and will probably not try another drink for another week. I'm worried about how it might affect my body or how quickly my recovery has gone. That said I miss having a few glasses of wine at dinner and things like that. It's great that you only took the med for such a short time, I think my low doses are the reason I'm recovering so rapidly. I think you'll be good soon! Don't hesitate to post if you have any other questions or need support or anything

Thank you for your wishes. The symptoms indeed seem to be better each day. I don't necessarily feel great (as good as one can expect to feel after a drug binge), but I would say that the sense of normalcy has been steadily returning. Now I realize that it's only the third day so I don't dare to declare myself healed yet, as the situation can change rapidly up until the two week mark.

Today I am overcome with bittersweet melancholy about life, my place in it and the paths I've travelled. Rather than depressive, I would call it contemplative sorrow. A familiar feeling from years past, therapeutic in its own way. I am genuinely sad, in the most healing sense of the word. This time the emotion is unusually authentic, so much so as to seemingly validate some forgotten part of my being.

To give context to these musings: I am soon 30. College dropout. Long-term unemployed. Single. For years I've been feeling like I can't find a path forward in life. I've wasted the last decade to internet and substance abuse of various forms. I don't know how to react to the fact that I exist. Instead I'm merely witnessing life unfold, as if I was no more than a spectator. This melancholy seems to underlie my existence wherever I go, as if the reason for my birth was to experience it in its fullest.

Scariest symptom so far: my heart got the twitches. I've had isolated palpitations/PVCs in the past, but nothing like this. For a good few seconds my heart was contracting erratically, unable to establish a rhythm. Afterwards blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed for a while to compensate for the pause. I think what brought this on was a hypoglycemic state into which I entered during a walk. Was feeling all weak and shaky by the time I got home. The episode hit soon after I sat down.

Being quite a heart-anxious individual to begin with, this is not a symptom I warmly welcome.

Day 4. No further palpitations occurred. Sleep was poor, woke up with more tension and anxiety than what I had yesterday, which reflects aLittleScared's timeline in regards to the day 4/5 wave.

Hi again, thought I'd check in and see if you had any updates. I'm glad to hear you're feeling by and large better each day - though I agree, I'm a little ahead of you and wouldn't say I consistently feel 100%. I think some of that might also just be fear and the unknown, like what's gonna happen, is something gonna happen? It's easy for those thoughts to generate anxiety in itself. I've found I have to try and fix my inner dialogue during this time.

I've had struggles with heart palpitations too - actually got a holter monitor a little while ago because It was one of my sources of anxiety and the reason I was taking the xanax in the first place. The doctor gave me the all clear. From what I know about palps, unless you're having them very frequently it isn't something to concern yourself with. But it definitely made me feel better to get the holter monitor on and go to the doctor. Though I didn't have one of the palpitation episodes while I had the holter monitor on - it was still reassuring.

My pals felt a lot like yours. I was basically doing nothing and suddenly I get this weird very noticeable feeling that makes me think my heart is doing something funny - then my pulse gets pretty fast after - it's hard not to get anxious about that. My doctor told me that I should try to relax and enjoy my life, and let the doctors do the worrying. It was reassuring to hear, and I also feel that we are relatively young, in most cases if something really is long we just need to go to the hospital and they'd take care of it. Some of this I think is learning to relinquish control!

I'm sorry that happened to you, - I'm a heart anxious individual too and that just sucks.

I've had a couple of low days as well, I think this process is hard on everyone, I'm looking forward to the day when it's not on the forefront of my mind. I'm sorry to hear you're low as well, but you write beautifully! What you write feels a lot like a lead up to catharsis when a good day approaches.

I'm over a week out now, about 10 days out, and I can't complain. It's not been amazing but no major problems. I've been spending time with my significant other, talking to my family, going for walks, and even went out to lunch today. I'm trying to live life as normally as possible - as the Ashton manual recommends. I'm hoping by week two I'd have felt pretty much normal this week and I won't be thinking about this very much.

Hope you get better sleep! Thanks for updating us.

Oh, and I've been having some neck pains, and find that a hot water bottle helps that, but more so relaxes me for some reason. Might be worth a try to curl up with one and some Chamomile tea if the mood strikes!

Hi again, thought I'd check in and see if you had any updates. I'm glad to hear you're feeling by and large better each day - though I agree, I'm a little ahead of you and wouldn't say I consistently feel 100%. I think some of that might also just be fear and the unknown, like what's gonna happen, is something gonna happen? It's easy for those thoughts to generate anxiety in itself. I've found I have to try and fix my inner dialogue during this time.

I've had struggles with heart palpitations too - actually got a holter monitor a little while ago because It was one of my sources of anxiety and the reason I was taking the xanax in the first place. The doctor gave me the all clear. From what I know about palps, unless you're having them very frequently it isn't something to concern yourself with. But it definitely made me feel better to get the holter monitor on and go to the doctor. Though I didn't have one of the palpitation episodes while I had the holter monitor on - it was still reassuring.

My pals felt a lot like yours. I was basically doing nothing and suddenly I get this weird very noticeable feeling that makes me think my heart is doing something funny - then my pulse gets pretty fast after - it's hard not to get anxious about that. My doctor told me that I should try to relax and enjoy my life, and let the doctors do the worrying. It was reassuring to hear, and I also feel that we are relatively young, in most cases if something really is long we just need to go to the hospital and they'd take care of it. Some of this I think is learning to relinquish control!

I'm sorry that happened to you, - I'm a heart anxious individual too and that just sucks.

I've had a couple of low days as well, I think this process is hard on everyone, I'm looking forward to the day when it's not on the forefront of my mind. I'm sorry to hear you're low as well, but you write beautifully! What you write feels a lot like a lead up to catharsis when a good day approaches.

I'm over a week out now, about 10 days out, and I can't complain. It's not been amazing but no major problems. I've been spending time with my significant other, talking to my family, going for walks, and even went out to lunch today. I'm trying to live life as normally as possible - as the Ashton manual recommends. I'm hoping by week two I'd have felt pretty much normal this week and I won't be thinking about this very much.

Hope you get better sleep! Thanks for updating us.

Oh, and I've been having some neck pains, and find that a hot water bottle helps that, but more so relaxes me for some reason. Might be worth a try to curl up with one and some Chamomile tea if the mood strikes!

I really appreciate that you're sharing this journey with me. Our kind of short-term users must probably come and go in a steady flow, there are never more than a couple of us here at a time so it's good that we're sticking together. Feel free to check in when ever, I will be reading and updating this thread until the two week mark at least, and longer should there be anything more to write about. I'm positive both of us will be either fully or nearly healed by the two week mark!

Yeah fear of the unknown is a tough one. Combine that with the palpitations and the result is a persistent sense of apprehension. You're left waiting for the moment your heart decides to act up again. "Any second now". It's almost a relief when the palpitation finally comes, LOL.

Last night (day 5/6) was the most active night for my heart so far. I was having about one palpitation per minute, which was preventing me from falling asleep. After turning and tossing in the bed until 3am, I got up, ate a small bowl of rice and took a bit of taurine, after which the palpitations went away for the rest of the night. This further suggests that it's a blood sugar related issue for me. I think I'll make a habit out of eating some carbs right before bed (I found this helpful during caffeine withdrawal too due to the blood sugar issues the WD was causing).

As far as the overall symptomology goes, anxiety, dizziness and twitches are the main offenders. Moreover, it seems that the symptoms are more apparent during the night than during the day. In daytime there are many hours during which I feel as if I never took benzos, and any waves that come do not last longer than 30-60 minutes.

Thank you for sharing!

I too find myself searching for posts from other short term users who don't seem to be active anymore - since a lot of the forums active members are long terms users and I find their experiences don't always parallel my own.

I think I'll be doing the same. It's so great to hear that you also think we'll be alright by 2 weeks or so - that's been my thought but I'm afraid to believe/hope for that and to be let down. Though given the current trajectory it feels totally plausible.

I'm sorry to hear about the frequent palpitations, I never had them that frequently - though my episodes of tachycardia could last a while following them. I'm glad you have identified the likely cause and know how to remedy it though.

I had a similar trend as well, there was a point at which things were worse at night, namely the anxiety and restlessness, but that seemed the get better the further out I got. If it makes you feel better, I'm on day 12 and most of the benxo w/d symptoms that bothered me have ceased. I still have very very slightly uneven pupils that come and go, and I only notice them by chance if I look in the mirror. I've read this is something people experience and it too fades. The same way when I was taking the xanax regularly I felt my pupils were dilated and eyes were a little glassy.

What I'm dealing with now seems to resemble hay fever, which I've never ever had. I have an itch in my throat, a lot of sneezing and a runny nose. My tonsils were a bit enlarged but that has gotten better. I wouldn't say this is 100% benzo related, but I think my body's immunity might not be doing the best or I'm just a little sensitive right now. But all in all, I can't complain. These symptoms are a piece of cake to manage and I'm grateful this is all there is right now. I'll update about this at it gets better - I'm being diligent about self-care so I can avoid taking any antibiotics and antihistamines by not allowing this to progress.

Wishing you a speedy speedy recovery!

Day 11. Figured out that the heart palpitations were actually caused by NAC. A few google searches made it apparent that I'm not the only one with this experience. Yesterday I didn't took any NAC and to my surprise I didn't have any bed time palpitations.

As for other symptoms, few bouts of muscle twitching and dizziness/sudden feeling of falling down persist.

As another short-term user, I have been following these posts.  I am in month Four post CT with tinnitus, headaches and broken sleep as my lingering symptoms.  These are definitely manageable but are lingering longer than I had hoped.  Staying with my daily walks, eating healthy, daily meditation and staying positive.  I agree it is good to share experiences as there is not much out here as to posts of very short-term usage.

As another short-term user, I have been following these posts.  I am in month Four post CT with tinnitus, headaches and broken sleep as my lingering symptoms.  These are definitely manageable but are lingering longer than I had hoped.  Staying with my daily walks, eating healthy, daily meditation and staying positive.  I agree it is good to share experiences as there is not much out here as to posts of very short-term usage.

Thank you for checking in. For such a short term use, having symptoms linger around for over three months must be frustrating. It's a relief that they're quite mild in intensity: you'll be able to focus on other things, then time will fly and one day you will realize that you've been symptom free for weeks.

Hello again, thought I'd check in and post an update.

Glad to hear you found the cause of the palps Wondering, they can be unnerving so I'm happy to hear you didn't experience them after identifying the cause.

And good to hear from another person. I'm sad to hear you're still having symptoms, but they seem fewer and not as disruptive as some of the things mentioned in your signature so that's good. I think it helps me be aware there will be ups and downs but not to catastrophosize.

I'm doing pretty well. I'm hesitant to say I'm fully healed though I feel I am sometimes, I know I'm past the worst of it.

What I'm really still dealing with is some congestion (all in my sinuses - but fairly mild) and some blocked ears because of it. Sometimes I feel a little hotter than I normally do, and I guess I'm a little more restless, but really not in a way that is particularly bothersome -  But I really can't complain. I'm able to keep with my responsibilities. I'm keeping up with the chamomile, and an hour long walk at least 5 times a week (still afraid to do any rigorous exercise) - and making sure I get enough sleep.

I'm also taking steps to find a psychologist to help me with my anxiety. Since that's why i started taking it the xanax the first place, I want to address that as I heal and reach 100%.

Since Asthon okay's it - I even had some wine last night. And it was so nice to see it didn't cause anything adverse. It's nice to know that's one less thing to be afraid off. That was kind of a milestone for me since I really missed going out for some nice wine and dinners with my boyfriend these last few weeks. So it was wonderful.

Wishing you both positive attitude and strength. In the long run, it'll only get better from here. We should all try not to let the blips get us down. :)

I'll hop back on in a few days for a check in and an update.

Great to hear about the wine.  Wine appreciation is definitely something that I have after living 30+ years in CA before moving to FL in retirement. Have not had any for 90+ days.  I am also stuffy with phlegm and somewhat congested as well.  I thought that it was seasonal pollens but perhaps not.  The only somewhat bothersome symptom is sleep.  My sleep is broken up by waking up ever 40 minutes or so.  Although it is so unbelievable that these symptoms should linger for this short of usage, I am grateful that it is not worse based on other BB personal struggles that I have read.

If and when you decide to try some wine again, I've heard people say to try a little and see how you respond the next day! I had about a glass and a half one evening and was alright the next day, then 3 glasses the day after since it was saturday, enough to get a little buzz. I think I'm kinda taking the Ashton advice and trying to live as normally as possible. But I won't be drinking again this week so I'm definitely taking it easy.

I also acknowledge that this drug and it's withdrawal effects are just so individual - so it's best to be cautious. But I'm definitely trying to move on with my life and not be an alarmist or puritanical.

Depending on how long your stuffy nose and things have lasted, maybe it indeed is the benzos. I feel mine is. It's lasted about a week so far - though it has improved and kind of plateaued. I'd never had hay fever before and had that - so I'm sure in my case it's related to the benzos, and it then progressed to this.

Sorry to hear about your sleep. Have your tried chamomile tea? I've heard it does nothing for some people and others swear by it. I definitely noticed that by a week or two the quality of my sleep had improved drastically. At peak I was having 3 cups a day, with 2 tea bags of chamomile in each. I've heard it's advisable not to have more than that (as per a dietician). I'm now down to two.

I hope your sleep improves with time. I too am grateful for the place I'm in, given some of the experiences on this forum. It's terribly sad. Take care!

Hey aLittleScared & Newbie2Temaz. I hope you're doing fine today. So the two week mark came and went. I feel more or less normal. I nearly forgot to write the two week update at all, which is an apt testament to the extent of my recovery. Thank you both for participating in this thread. I wish you a speedy and total recovery, and a fulfilling life.

I will stop updating the thread here (will hang around on the forum for a few more days). If anyone wants to contact me, send me a PM, I'll get notified by e-mail.

Thanks for the response.  So happy that this is so short-lived for you and you are on your way!  I have decided to stay off of BB for now as I find myself taking other personal stories that are not going so well and making them my own.  My three symptoms continue to linger and they may for some time.  I just need to know that time heals, own my own circumstances and stay positive.  I am thankful that my three lingering symptoms are so manageable.  It is great that we leave this thread for other short-time users to provide them with some varying potential insights.  Thank again and I wish you the very best.  Wishing the other responder/contributor, a Little Scared,  the very best as well.

I passed my three week mark yesterday - and I think I'm pretty much A-okay. The anxiety that was the reason I took the xanax at all is better than when I was taking it, but I've made an appointment with a psychologist to find a better way to deal with it.

I definitely learned a lot from this experience, and value my health so much more now. It's so much easier now to find the motivation to make healthier choices.

I too with you both the best. Time most certainly does heal. And I'm glad Newbie is taking time away from the forum. I found that doing the same helped me as well. I hope your lingering symptoms resolve speedily. My best to you both. I can also be reached via PM which notifies my email.

Thank you for sharing in this journey with me :)