Family/Friends/Caretakers. Support Group

[Vi...]

Really needing some support here. My H has been prescribed benzo for 7 years and it has made him cognitively impaired.  He is very slow in processing and reasoning. He cant do things he used to do and his reasoning is poor.  This is so stressful, at it falls on me to handle everything.  I am so angry..at the Dr for prescribing them and at him for continuing to take them when I told him years ago to stop.  I am 54.  Is this what the rest of my life will be like? His impairment has been for at least a year and he has a long way to go in his taper.

• 2 months later...
I see that no one has replied here since you posted.  I can't imagine that you, we, are the only ones dealing with loved one's benzo addiction.  It is certainly the most draining thing I've ever had to go through.  I worry that I have changed into a horribly callous person, the exact opposite of how I used to be.  I am constantly angry, have lost patience with everybody,  and, worst of all, I've stopped caring.  I feel like I know how this chapter is going to end and I just want it to come to its inevitable conclusion so I can start a new life for what years I have left.  I suppose it wouldn't be as bad if I could believe in professional help, but the whole medical community behind this problem is filled with such smoke and mirrors.