Benzos long term until ready to taper again?

[Su...]

Hi. I know this sounds like a crazy question but I’m wondering if anyone has considered or known anyone that has just gone back on the benzo to relieve their withdrawal symptoms and just plan on staying on it for years until they are in a better place? It sounds like a crazy thought but it would be nice to be able to put this off for a few years until I retire. 

Currently I’m in withdrawal for four months and it’s pure hell. I have had friends and family tell me just to go back on the drug for another few years until I retire and can be home and then deal with the taper. Again I know this sounds crazy but does anybody know if people that do this? Does it work?

While I suspect those far more knowledgeable than I would advise against it, I do not think it is a crazy question in the least.  I was in big trouble when I was put on this medication and I don't regret as it brought me relief that nothing short of medication could have done so quickly.  What I regret is that I stayed on longer than the symptoms warranted.  Had I quit when the anti-depressant kicked in and the anxiety subsided either thru the AD or on its own which it always had over the years, I maybe could have just quit rather than having to taper...but I continued and now I have to wrestle with the uncomfortable fact of having to take something....so I can eventually quit taking it.  I think the problem with staying on it in the absence of physical symptoms from it...is the tolerance issue and the fact that most people..not all, but most people need more and more to maintain the same effect, making discontinuation that much harder.  But I think there is probably no shortage of people who will say that these meds have kept them functional.  Tough choices.  Best of luck to you.

I am so sorry for the pain you're going through. This benzo thing really sucks for all of us and I understand why you're asking. When we're in so much pain we just want immediate relief, we can't see the end goal. We actually don't care about the end goal we just want the pain to stop now. I've been there.

I personally would not reinstate after 4 months. There's no guarantee that it would give you relief AND there's no guarantee that a taper would be any easier. I'm tapering and I've hit a bump in my taper which made me seriously consider just doing a cold turkey and suffer everything in one go rather than dragging out the suffering over a couple of years. For all you know your breakthrough might just be a few weeks or a couple of months away. And then you've exchanged your hard earned freedom for more years of pain and suffering. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I would do. I don't think reinstatement is the way to do it. The risks of increased suffering are too big.

As mentioned before, tolerance is also a factor and then you have even less control over a taper.  I wish I could offer you more. Hopefully your window is around the corner.  :hug:

It just seems like the people that tape are really really really really really slowly have a better outcome. Or maybe a shorter or less severe recovery. Is that correct

that CAN be true - but not necessarily.  I am fourteen months into a taper off 1.5mg of Xanax and only a third of the way down ---- and having SEVERE symptoms.  there is really no way to know -- yes, a slow and steady taper gives you a greater chance of not having protracted but certainly no guarantee - nor is it a guarantee that you will have a painless taper.    I only go this slow because I have learned my CNS a bit and know that it cannot be thrown any more curve balls -- by adding things in, going faster, etc

its all a gamble