background feeling of doom/gloom/feeling that something terrible has happened

[30...]

anyone else have this near constant sense of "something terrible has happened" or a sense of needing to remain hyper vigilant against the fear/terror and a sense of dread? 

its with me all of the time -- sometimes its all I can do but sit and try to ride it out --- but if I try to distract it can often get louder -- trying to scare me back inside, back to the couch, etc

I'd appreciate any feedback/thoughts/others experiences

Hi amiga,

That dread, doom knocking at my door feeling comes mostly during the morning/early afternoon for me. That’s when I have too much time on my hands which makes my head, of course focus on what’s behind the benzo door that awaits me each freaking day so to speak.. I’m trying to distract myself as much as possible- take walks, reading ( CBT, DBT workbooks) Sometimes it works sometimes that doorbell gets louder.. that’s when I put it on the headphones & listen to one of the (too) many mediation apps.  In our situation it’s so hard to get out of our own heads. Sending you SO much good  energy your way from my neck of the woods….

I actually started talking back to the fear, and I mean out loud!  Depending on what my poor sick brain was telling me my typical saying was, this isn't real, this isn't who I'm going to be, this is the drug talking and I won't let it be louder than the truth.

Its ridiculous what it makes us afraid of, the minor stuff we shuffle to the back of our minds throughout the day hit us full blast in the face and scares the crap out of us.  It's like the filter in our brains that lets us separate the minor from the major is gone and it's all MAJOR!  >:(

Thanks Pamster,

I’m going to try that, talking out loud to it when I get in that mindset.. I know I’m gonna scare the living daylights out of my wife but I’ll just tell her it’s part of therapy- primal scream! Whatever works I’ll try it out..

Thanks Pamster,

I’m going to try that, talking out loud to it when I get in that mindset.. I know I’m gonna scare the living daylights out of my wife but I’ll just tell her it’s part of therapy- primal scream! Whatever works I’ll try it out..

:2funny:  You had me laughing out loud JTee, my dogs are looking at me like, what?  Its amazing that even though you're suffering you still have a sense of humor, good for you!  :thumbsup:

Absolutely.  Just got through a panic attack brought on by irrational health worries.  It's hideous, that feeling of doom.  And it just does not want to let go.  Anxiety cause all kinds of aches and pains and scary symptoms that can make you feel like you must be dying.  It's not like we're making the symptoms up.  They're there, but it's the benzo brain creating all of it.  What a nightmare.  But it does end.  It all ends.

During some of my waves I get this.  It is a feeling of impending doom for me.  Dread even when there is not reason.  I know it is not real in my head but physically I feel it.  To cope I named him Mr. Doom. Anytime he comes around I talk directly to him, “Not today Mr. Doom,  Not today!”

It doesnt really work but I always get myself to chuckle about it. 

Pamster,

I was one funny guy before these poison pills were introduced to me.. now it comes out in spurts. But they say laughter is good Medicine… Now If those came in a prescription bottle I’ll take them in a heartbeat & laugh my sorrows away. But now from your advice,  that I’ll be using , I’ll be screaming my head off at the other (bad) medicine Induced symptoms.

Yes, this happens to me a lot. Everything turns into a life-threatening situation for me. I constantly feel that someone I love is in imminent danger or just a lurking feeling that something bad is about to happen.

I keep telling myself it's the pills, but my brain goes into full debate mode with me on this.

Well, well - I do hate hearing this from all of you, but now I don’t feel like the Lone Ranger!  Yeah, I get this, too, and worry that it is a matter of moments before we lose our house, have to live in the woods in a box all winter, someone is going to die, society will devolve completely, etc. etc. I have zero reason to fear that these outcomes are around the corner.  But try telling me that when I am fixated on it. It is one of the reasons I try to hold on to the positive and the humorous however I can. Am terrified about starting work again.

Butterfly 🦋