Vistaril/hydroxyzine for anxiety during WD?

[He...]

I just filled a Rx for Vistaril for anxiety. 25mg up to 3 times a day. I just took my first one. I hope it helps. It's a bummer Xanax turned on me and I had to taper it. I admire people who can take benzo's their whole life with no problems.

Anyone ever take Vistaril for anxiety during WD? Did it help? I'll let you know if it's helping me or not. I know it's not habit forming and is relatively safe.

I'm tired of being anxious.

HM

Heart, I took it for sleep. Maybe it worked for me by making me less anxious before sleep. I don't know. But I did develop tolerance to it.

About anxiety . . . I loved xanax a lot. Wow!  A cold bath on my anxiety! Anxiety begone! But medicating it never taught me anything. I never learned how to deal with my anxiety, or even why I was anxious. Therapy taught me that.

So . . . just a thought.

Best to you,

Katz

Katz,

I can see why you took it for sleep. The one I took earlier today made me tired. It DID help with my anxiety a little bit but it also made me tired. Unfortunately, not tired enough to take a nap. I laid down for an hour and a half and 'rested' but sleep never came. I will take the other 2 tabs (50mg) tonight and see if they help my sleep or not.

I am grateful it did help with anxiety a little bit. I hate being anxious. I hear you about the root cause of anxiety. I have PTSD from trauma that causes my anxiety.

Thanks for the reply,

HM

JBen, I am sorry to hear that. It just makes me tired. I like that it helps with anxiety but the one I took today is STILL making me tired hours later. I'll let you know how it works as a sleep aid because I am going to take it tonight to help me sleep.

HM

I hope it works for you.

I've tried it on and off throughout wd and it didn't ever do much or anything for me.  I actually took one last night after I woke up at 1 am and I believe it helped me get back to sleep for the first time. 

I've never tried more than one at once, but my Dr recommended that if one didn't do anything.

AD, I am going to take 2 tonight and see if they help me sleep. They are 25mg each. I am still REALLY tired from the one I took earlier today but it's not enough to put me to sleep. I need more and I need my 'stack'. Plus, it's only 7pm and I don't want to wake up at 3am wide awake and unable to go back to sleep. I have to wait until at least 9 to go to bed.

HM

Yeah I've only ever done 25mg at a time, but was going to do 50 last night at 1am but I felt  relief from 25 mg for the first time.  I took 25mg and was going to take another a half hour later if still awake, but I wasn't! 

I was still tired at noon, which was weird bc I haven't really felt tired for weeks.  Before when I had taken hydroxyzine I didn't notice anything at all.

Good luck! 

HM, I saw on the other thread where it didn't work as you'd hoped for sleep- I'm sorry it didn't. 

Yesterday I woke at 430 and decided I wanted to see if it worked then.  I took one 25mg and slept until 830, and was super groggy when I did wake up  That was a first for me - it's finally working as it's supposed to! 

AD, I am so happy it helped you sleep! I am not surprised it made you groggy during the day, though. If it put me to sleep, I'd put up with the grogginess but it doesn't work to do anything except make me tired and awake.

That's wonderful that you got such a good, deep stretch of sleep! I admire you!

HM