My current benzo situation.

[nk...]

Hi all, I am new here. I have been abusing benzos especially alprazolam on and off for a few years. I have gone through withdrawal before twice with mega doses of alprazolam. I quit Cold Turkey both times. Duration of use would be 3-4 months max. maybe a year I don't remember exactly. but, I recovered fairly quickly both times. In 3-4 days, my sleep was back to normal and anxiety levels dropped. But, those 3-4 days were hell, dysphoria, delirium, rebound insomnia and anxiety.

This time I am dealing with clonazepam, which was prescribed. I have been using it for about 1.5 years now. I am tapering, but still going through withdrawal every time I reduce the dose. I don't know what to expect, since clonazepam has a longer half life than alprazolam. The exact intensity of withdrawal symptoms is unpredictable.

I wanna know, what is the likelihood of having seizures this time? Should I use anti-convulsant like topiramate or pregabalin? What prescription, otc, nutritional supplements can help with sleep deprivation?

Thank you.

Hello  nk007 :hug:  welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

We are glad you are here.  I am sorry that you’re  going through this again.  Seizures are rare, slow is the best way to come off benzodiazepines  and the suggested taper rate is 5/10% every 10/14 days.  Many need to taper more slowly,  you can adjust the rate to meet your needs.  You can learn more about tapering on our taper plans board.  I am sure you will find lots of support and information here to help you on your journey to be free. Please feel free to post your questions to any of the dedicated boards.

I suggest you check out the Ashton Manual, you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as taper/withdrawal information, it lists  possible withdrawal  symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita