Xanax taper for relatively low-dose short-term use help :(

[aL...]

Hi everyone!

So glad to be posting on here to get some support and guidance through this process. I'm not yet able to put a little bio about my use in my profile but I hope to do that soon.

A little background, almost exactly two months ago I was going through some anxiety issues due to a thyroid problem and my doctor prescribed 0.25mg alprazolam to help. Aside from two non-consecutive weeks where I took the med everyday, I used it on between 4/6 days a week. Recently, as my thyroid issues began to resolve the anxiety peaked or I developed some tolerance and I took 0.5 mg consecutively for 7 days. Following that I've been feeling much better and took 0.25mg for four days after that.

So the reason I even took the 0.25mg these last four days (everything was always on an as-needed acute basis) was because I wasn't having anxiety per se - but this weird feeling, that started with needing to shake my leg, followed by needed to pace and my mind racing, the inability to focus etc. Either way that improved as well, so these last 4 doses I cut down to 0.125mg, and those weird feelings would mostly subside. My last two doses of 0.125 mcg were approximately 60hours and 24hours ago respectively and I feel mostly fine. (some anxiety, slight palpitations, a little brain foggy and can't focus/lightheaded dizzinesses moments but nothing too uncomfortable).

So my questions are, am I being unsafe in how quickly I've lowered my dosage? Could someone explain to me whether I should take the 0.125mg daily for a week or so and then cut down or something? I was honestly only planning to take it once 48 hours had passed since my last dose and then do that for another dose or two and then just stop. I am worried about seizures but I have no history of them. And I think my doctor just isn't worried at all because they were lower doses and not taken for a long time - I've tried reaching out to him twice in the last two days to maybe get something longer acting to taper off with but he hasn't gotten back to me. Do I need to be scared? I don't know if I have the materials I'd need to cut doses lower than 0.125 and I just want to make sure I'm doing this the best I can with minimal risk.

Thank you so very much everyone.

Thank you for filling in the details of your situation, it sounds like your body has most definitely developed a dependence on the Alprazolam, your symptoms are textbook.  This benzo is very fast acting unlike Valium which stays in your system much longer and this is a good thing in your circumstance because you don't have to wait very long to know if your reductions are too much and honestly, it sounds like you're doing this right. 

I don't recommend switching to a longer acting benzo, your use has been so brief, this would only prolong your time on the drug and deepen your body's dependence.  If you can stand the symptoms then my suggestion would be to proceed with your plan but of course if you're non-functional then slowing down is an option, let your symptoms guide you.

I agree that your seizure risk is low since you don't have a history, your dose has been low and they are rare, so please don't worry because stress makes us feel worse.

Thanks so much for your response!

I feel kind of alone in this! Your input makes a lot of sense and is very reassuring - unless I feel really uncomfortable or anything scary I think I'll just take a few more doses of 0.125 at 48 hour intervals to give my body time to level out - wish I could halve those too :(

Since I struggle with anxiety it's hard not to imagine worst case scenarios - I appreciate your input because it puts things back in perspective! Thanks so much Pamster!

The drug actually begins to cause anxiety, sleeplessness and panic when we become dependent on it so some of your distress is likely coming from the drug, and fear is a major withdrawal symptom so be on the lookout for what feels like fear without a reason.

Please visit us when you feel alone, we understand what you're going through and if you'd like help in cutting your pills smaller to taper further we can help you with that.

Thanks so much! I definitely will. This group is a god-send truly. I would never have expected to feel the way I do because if you're not educated about it, it seems like you'd trust whatever your doctor prescribed and you would only have withdrawal symptoms if you abused it, but to feel the way I have at certain points as I tapered down is just crazy! Fear is definitely one of my symptoms. I'm feeling for anxiety about the withdrawal and effects from stopping the drug, how I'm stopping it, what could happen and what I'm feeling is actually caused by the withdrawal.

I did have a quick question, is having some jaw, neck, head and back pain a symptoms of withdrawal? I've had some trouble with my neck earlier that was causing head pain and was going to physiotherapy for it and it was improving. And then suddenly i've developed this back-neck-jaw pain thats at the base of my skull too that's worse than before.

Additionally - so that I can be careful, when would it be safe to consume alcohol? Is a beer or two okay? For how long should I avoid it if I should?  Thanks again!!

Please visit us when you feel alone, we understand what you're going through and if you'd like help in cutting your pills smaller to taper further we can help you with that.

Getting kinda nervous reading other people’s experiences who have also been on low doses for such a short time. I feel terrible that some are suffering the way they are. :( and it’s making me fearful for hitting the 48 hours between my own doses mark. Having a little insomnia and I keep checking posts

Thanks so much! I definitely will. This group is a god-send truly. I would never have expected to feel the way I do because if you're not educated about it, it seems like you'd trust whatever your doctor prescribed and you would only have withdrawal symptoms if you abused it, but to feel the way I have at certain points as I tapered down is just crazy! Fear is definitely one of my symptoms. I'm feeling for anxiety about the withdrawal and effects from stopping the drug, how I'm stopping it, what could happen and what I'm feeling is actually caused by the withdrawal.

I did have a quick question, is having some jaw, neck, head and back pain a symptoms of withdrawal? I've had some trouble with my neck earlier that was causing head pain and was going to physiotherapy for it and it was improving. And then suddenly i've developed this back-neck-jaw pain thats at the base of my skull too that's worse than before.

Additionally - so that I can be careful, when would it be safe to consume alcohol? Is a beer or two okay? For how long should I avoid it if I should?  Thanks again!!

I don't know if you've read this but chapter 3 of The Ashton Manual will list your symptoms and reasons why you feel them, and your symptoms are on that list!  I would read it when I was recovering because it reassured me I wasn't dying and I wasn't crazy.

Alcohol is sometimes referred to as liquid benzo's, it affects the same part of the brain as benzo's so it's not a good idea to drink while withdrawing or early in recovery.  Many members have been able to return to drinking but they do it slowly because for some, it throws them back into acute withdrawal and its terrifying. If you do decide to test the waters I'd start with a few swallows or maybe half a beer, I'm told it's the next day when you'll find out if you tried it too soon. 

Please use the forum judiciously, we can be helpful but we can also ramp up anxiety.

Thanks!

I’ll go through that chapter - I think it’ll help to keep me calm! And alright, I definitely don’t want to risk that so I think I’ll just steer clear for the time being x_x. Yes I should do that, I’d imagine peoples bodies react very differently so I shouldn’t try and draw parallels between mine and other peoples experiences! Even if they seem similar in certain ways.

Thanks again pamster.

It’s been about 40 hours since my last dose and I’ve been feeling pretty okay - what are the risks to cold turkeying at this point? Would it be better to halve the 0.125 dosage I was going to take at 48 hours to be on the safe side?

Thank you so much!

If you're feeling fairly good I believe you can stop the Xanax, its so fast acting that if you were going to be hit hard with symptoms, you'd most likely be feeling them already.  I don't feel there is any risk of seizure if you're concerned about that.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it works out, what you write here will help the next person who has is in a similar situation.  :)

So I was feeling mostly okay, but what I was feeling kicked up a little in intensity - namely I couldn’t focus on what I needed to prepare for tomorrow, the anxiety wasn’t great but manageable, and the more physical feeling of malaise and restlessness got a little harder to bare, and the headache and nausea were bearable but unrelenting! so I just took 0.0625 since I felt the taper was so rapid and that would perhaps make it easier on my body to make the transition. Originally my plan was to do two more 0.125 doses 48 hours apart and then stop, but after tapering down I felt those were hitting fairly hard - and since I was feeling okay but not great, this seemed like a good middle ground. I think my rule for this from the beginning was not to updose and as you advised kinda go by my symptoms, so let’s see how this plays out.

To be honest it’s totally irrational but the seizure thing is always a concern, I think just because the reason I was being medicated was my thyroid issue was giving me health anxiety due to the physical manifestation and anxiety of my thyroid imbalance. But I’m working on not giving things like that much thought!

I'm happy to hear you're paying attention to your symptoms, well it's hard not to isn't it?  What I meant was, you're letting them guide your actions, this is the right approach.

I understand your fear, I had it too and with your thyroid issue you feel more vulnerable but I like that you're trying to counter the fear by not giving it power over you. 

Yes exactly! Your advice was invaluable. I think it’s important to take how I’m feeling into consideration but still push myself to reaching the next step i.e closer to being off this medication.

For anyone in a similar situation I’m just going to quickly lay out how I’ve been feeling since last night! I don’t think the 0.0625 had a noticeable effect on my symptoms - but I’m glad I didn’t take any more than that since I think it would’ve set back my progress on the taper based on how I felt the last time I took it. It helped in that it quelled (albeit irrationally) my worry about a seizure, which I’m largely not concerned about now (at least in this present moment. I’m feeling quite alright this morning though I’m preparing for the waxing and waning of withdrawal symptoms which can be experienced all though mine have been mild compared to some of the struggles people on this group have had to experience. I know there are mixed reviews about chamomile but I’ve found it helps relax me - even if it’s just a placebo. I’ve also found being outdoors, like walking my dog or something when I’m feeling mostly okay really helps too. Something about the fresh air and change of scenery. I feel ready to make the jump but as advised I’m going to go by my symptoms! If I feel mostly alright I won’t take another 0.0625 48 hours after my last dose but if I do then I might!

You sound really good, you've been paying attention to those who have traveled this road before you, let their lessons guide you, no use reinventing the wheel, right?  ;D

I agree about walking, it helped me too and my dog was the beneficiary so it was a win/win.  I've heard many members say good things about chamomile, one of our administrators suggests double bagging if you're using teabags.  :thumbsup:

Hi again! Thought I'd post a little update incase it's beneficial to anyone - My last dose was the one I recorded on this page - 0.0625 mg of Xanax 5/6 days ago.

Overall I'm doing well - I've been feeling a lot better but some of the anxiety and restlessness has come back with a vengeance. It's not especially severe but it's pretty constant. I'm hoping it's just a phase but I'm working on getting out of those negative thought patterns and compulsive behaviors. I think I've been having a bit of reflux so I've been taking a med for that - I didn't have trouble with that while I was on the xanax so I'm thinking it's the anxiety making it kick up - But I'd take that over being on xanax for sure. The perceptual strangeness waxes and wanes but I tell myself it'll pass the way it has before and that helps.

Additionally, I've been double bagging my cups of chamomile tea - which is good because I'm at this rate I'd be consuming way too much liquid between the tea and the water and liquid from foods that I consume. I personally find the chamomile incredibly relaxing and I think it's worth a shot in case it works for you. I've also been listening to my body, eating when I'm hungry and not forcing myself while making sure I get all the nutrition I need, and trying to have a routine of course. Good luck to everyone else on a similar journey.

Thank you for documenting what's going on with you, we have so many short term users who join and don't know where to turn for information about what to expect, this is good stuff.

I'm happy to see you're improving in some ways but can see you're still dealing with some challenges, but your positive attitude shines through and highlights how beneficial that can be.  :smitten:

Hello again,

Just wanted to post a little update since I had a pretty good day today. I think I might be in a windows and waves phase if that's what it's called? Yesterday I had a phase of fairly intense derealization that was naturally accompanied by anxiety, my pupils were also kind of uneven which I read on the forum is a symptom of w/d too - but I just wanted to hop on and record that today I felt like myself 90% of the day! Aka no symptoms at all really when I felt normal. I was able to get all of my study/work done, I ate well and went for an hours walk. A routine has been so so beneficial in helping me get through the days!

I'm trying to take things one day at a time based on the day I had yesterday, which is easier said in good moments than actually done - but I think moments like these are good to document because it's easy to feel hopeless in those acute symptomatic phases. And they also feel like good days are an  indication that full healing will happen - it just takes time. Despite being a short-term user, I definitely feel some trepidation about the future, and wonder what things will look like a month, or 6 down the line. And if I'm going to have to worry about flare-ups of W/d symptoms years into the future; but I'm trying to focus on healing completely before I worry about that. It's also good to note I suppose that people who withdraw successfully and don't have problems again might stop posting on the group - and that's important to keep in mind because the forum might not always accurately represent life after stopping benzo use!

It's also a little reminder that you don't have to use benzos for an extended period of time for it to really affect your CNS, even when taken as prescribed. I'm actually a first year medical student who has always been keen on psychiatry, and I'm carefully taking note of how these medications can affect people. At the moment I feel I've gotten off easy after reading about some of the people's experiences on this forum, but it's been so valuable in terms of my future practice as a physician. I really truly believe now that benzos should be used with extreme caution, and further research and awareness should exist about them within the medical community. Hopefully I'll be able to do this knowledge and experience I've had some justice.

Apologies if this came off like more of a journal entry - but to other short term users out there who might have questions - give your body care and time, keep good company, feel safe, and hold out, healing will happen, and lean on the group for questions but don't spend too much time reading other people's stories!

And a special thank you to Pamster whose responses got me through the first week of this! It kept me calmer than others managed and I'm very grateful for the support, advice, encouragement and learning.

I agree that documenting the good times is important because the negative is so powerful it drowns out the positive. 

I'm thrilled to hear this experience is shaping your views on benzodiazepines, there is nothing like first hand experience to point us in the right direction.  If you can use what you've learned this community and all of those who suffer with this will thank you.  There are too few in the medical community who truly understand this process, I'm excited you'll be one who does.  :smitten:

Agree! It's easy to get bogged down in the difficult moments! I had a low day yesterday, which felt pretty chemical to me! I think it was compounded by the fact that I seem to have very sore tonsils and a runny nose. I'm going to give it a couple of days and see if it resolves - as I've heard antibiotics can be problematic early during the withdrawal and recovery phase.

As for actual withdrawal symptoms, I can't complain. I think I might be early in the sensitivity phase? I feel consistently alright, except if I'm something loud, or there's a lot going on etc. Like when I went to lunch. I think I was mostly alright but I got a little restless. Hopefully by this weekend I should be mostly alright if the current speed of my recovery is to maintain itself.

I definitely plan to take my learning forward. I feel so blessed to have found this group early, and identified when I needed to get off these medications before my dependence deepened. Since my doctor didn't take me seriously, neither did most other people in my life, it was so important to have somewhere to turn for questions.

I think drugs like these can have their place, but the lack of awareness of how individualistic dependence and withdrawal patterns could be is just terrible. Just because a lot of/or maybe most people can be fine taking low doses of these drugs for shorter periods of time, or whatever iteration of that, doesn't mean they're safe to prescribe to people willy nilly. And then to dismiss peoples experiences, and not get the support you need from the people who prescribed them to you is just a shame. I can't begin to fathom why people aren't treated for their individual needs and experiences when they try to seek care for problems caused by benzos. I mean why is the ashton manual not the standard tapering method?? And why they aren't warned of the adverse reactions that can occur from taking this medication. I don't see a future where I don't carry this experience with me, and let it shape how I treat my future patients.

I've read members warnings about antibiotics, even those not in the fluoroquinolone class seem to upset our delicate state, I hope whatever is going on with you resolves on its own. 

The sensitive phase ugh, it doesn't even have to be a loud noise, just a room with people talking normally was enough to make me want to put my hands over my ears.

I agree these medications have their place, but I'm glad to see you take your newfound knowledge into your future, I think good things will come from this painful experience.

Yes! Too much stimulus definitely made me feel uneasy - but on day 11, I'm doing much better.

My tonsils are better whereas my nose is more runny and I'm sneezing a lot, but since my tonsils are better I think it's a good sign. Really beginning to feel like off early, and I'm so glad I was able to identify what was going on with the help of this page. I think it prevented me from developing a strong dependency, and I caught it right as that dependency was developing.

Fingers crossed my little bout of illness and mild withdrawal symptoms are a thing of the past this week.

I wouldn't wish akasthisia, interdose withdrawals or any of this on my worst enemy.

Just wanted to post an update! In about 7 hours I'll be at exactly 2 weeks since my last dose of Xanax. I had a great day yesterday. I've had some allergies and congestion (one of my ears is a little blocked), that's lasted about 3 days and it so much better today too. But I feel so so much better and more like my myself. I'm going out to dinner tonight to just enjoy feeling like myself again!

These 2 weeks have been challenging and scary, and my heart goes out to the individuals who have had to live with withdrawal symptoms for long periods of time or at all - your strength is amazing!

Good luck to everyone on this journey. I hope my experience can provide a little insight to short term users. I'll continue to hop on the forum from time to time for another two weeks at least - though I've made a point of trying to visit it less so I can put this behind me :)

Just wanted to post an update! In about 7 hours I'll be at exactly 2 weeks since my last dose of Xanax. I had a great day yesterday. I've had some allergies and congestion (one of my ears is a little blocked), that's lasted about 3 days and it so much better today too. But I feel so so much better and more like my myself. I'm going out to dinner tonight to just enjoy feeling like myself again!

These 2 weeks have been challenging and scary, and my heart goes out to the individuals who have had to live with withdrawal symptoms for long periods of time or at all - your strength is amazing!

Good luck to everyone on this journey. I hope my experience can provide a little insight to short term users. I'll continue to hop on the forum from time to time for another two weeks at least - though I've made a point of trying to visit it less so I can put this behind me :)

Glad to hear!

I love your update, and its so helpful to others that you've documented your journey.  I hope you'll continue to let us know how you are, I know we hear from members saying they think they've turned a corner only to get hit with symptoms but I don't think that's going to happen to you.  When I recovered I somehow knew that was it, I never looked back and never had another wave and I predict this for you too.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Pamster!

I will definitely continue to update for a little while - I don't think that's going to happen either! I hope my experience follows the pattern I've gathered most other short-term users have experienced (that I've gathered from this site). Wherein the symptoms are intense but they last a very short time :) For some reason based on how I'm feeling I think I just know that I'm okay.