Temporary Relief

[...]

Has anyone crossed over to another benzo like Valium or klonopin at a level that relieved symptoms for a period of time to level and be able to have a life? I have read about slow tapering and leveling but can you ever get to where the suffering is minimal?

I was suffering horrendously before I crossed over from Klonopin to Valium.  While the crossover was tough, things got 500X better and I stabilized and was able to function before starting my microtaper from Valium.  I feel incredibly blessed that crossing over worked for me as the suffering was inhumane prior to.

Everyone is different.  For me, I had severe muscle burning/pain (hard to hold up my head b/c neck felt weak and strained) and then head pressure started.  Almost didn't go through the cross because of these symptoms.  But doctor saw major mental improvements and said we would take it slow but we weren't going back.  So glad she decided.  It all went away after several weeks, as did many other horrendous symptoms I had before the c/o.  I think it was a combination of Valium side effects and Klonopin withdrawal.  I was also really tired and sedated and somewhat confused for a while but that got better too. 

My doctor originally didn't want me to do a slow crossover but I took her Ashton's information on it - there's a paper in there where Ashton discusses why a slow crossover is needed.  I had some leftover Klonopin so my doctor didn't have to prescribe both.  Honestly, that's a big part of why she didn't want to do it.  I've seen some who can do a bait and switch but for many of us, a slow c/o is better to allow the brain/body to adjust and not to go into horrendous w/d (from taking away short acting benzo).  I was not able to take both medications in the same dose like Ashton recommends, though.  I had to tweak my doses to avoid that because my brain freaked out when I took both. 

I was so afraid of doing the move but I was unable to continue on how things were and while I saw many people on here have a bad experience, I saw some that had good ones and even more people on FB (and I reached out).  I can understand your hesitation because it's so individualized.  It's all so scary.  Not sure what is best for you but I hope you find something.  Klonopin may be a good alternative for you as well and then if that's no good, you could try Valium.  That gives you one more option.  Hang in there!  You can and will get through this, no matter what! 

Thank you that helps

I’m also in a similar situation with my doc and psychiatrist they said that no crossover is needed and just want we to do a complete switch to Valium since my Ativan dose is so low. Having a hard time convincing them. Very frustrating

I will say that your doctor has a decent idea about adding some Valium and letting it build up before you take away the Ativan and if that is the only option, you may be ok.  I've seen others do that with success.  It's all so individualized. I'm not sure I would start with 10 mg, though - would probably go a bit less given your Ativan current amount.