Hello

[Ca...]

Hi, my reason for joining this forum is because I have been on clonazepam since the early 80's went through addiction services in 2010 as I was on 40 mg. a day. I was at the time left on 1 mg. Since COVID I have been taking much more than that and am having problems tapering down. Hoping for some support here.

Hello Captain Barnacle, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing this again, how was your withdrawal from 40 to 1 mg of Clonazepam, are you experiencing the same symptoms now?  Many members say it gets tougher each time the reinstate and withdraw so I'm not surprised you're having problems tapering now, how fast are you doing this and what is your current dose?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the more we know the better we can help you.  We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two but feel your symptoms should guide you.

I'll give you some links to get you started but feel free to post wherever draws your interest, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

It took me a year to taper down in 2010 from 40 mg (sometimes more benzos and I would mix ativan into the mix also) and I went to the pharmacy everyday for the allotted amount just like other addicts did. I did quite well for a while afterwards but a few years ago I started to take more than the 1 mg that the addiction services left me per day. They said since I had been on it for so long that I needed to be left on a little bit for life. Of course as I started taking more than I was prescribed I was running out...so I talked to my doctor and he agreed to raise it. I have been taking 3 -4 mgs. a day now and I am very tolerant again. My life is a bit empty especially now and I always had anxiety issues since childhood. I find I cannot leave the house or drive anywhere without taking it. I am in my 60's and have been put on my pension now so am not seeing other adults and friendships over the years ended due to death or moves. I was never exactly a social butterfly. 3 days a week I go to care for a family member. (grandchild) In order to drive there for this I found myself taking more and more...then on the days I do not go I take less to balance out the number I have and do not leave my apartment. Lately on the days I do not take the same dose I am feeling so nervous and cannot sleep since I have been in this spot before although on a much higher amount then the tolerance is there.

I understand addiction, for me it's all or nothing so since all completely dismantles my life I choose nothing.  I'm so very sorry you're trapped in this situation, would you like our help tapering?

I am scared that I won't be able to drive to take care of my granddaughter but I know it has to happen... so yes I would like help tapering. Ideally a very slow taper that "hopefully" won't affect my ability for continuing my responsibilities. Thank-you.