Took an extra Restoril last night—should I be worried?

[Ga...]

Heya,

I'm three months into my first taper (30mg to 22.5) and I accidentally took two 22.5 Restoril last night instead of one (I wasn't thinking and I took one before brushing my teeth and then couldn't remember whether I had or not, took another, went to sleep). I feel drugged-out and I'm terrified that I've screwed up my brain in a permanent way. Is there anything I can do?

This has happened to many people before. It's best not to ruminate about it and just go on with your normal taper from today.  Any blip you feel will be temporary and may also be due to the stress of knowing you took a extra dose. It'll be OK.

pianogirl  :smitten:

This was a big problem for me during my Remeron taper. I can’t even tell you how many times I forgot whether I took my dose or not and then had to take it again wondering if I had just taken two doses. I know that at least a few times I definitely did accidentally take two doses. I fixed this by starting a log book. I kept the book and a pen right under my Remeron. I was very strict about it. Every night I would take the dose and write down the date, time and dose amount. I would not let myself walk away for any reason while doing it and I even went as far as telling everyone in the house that they were not allowed to talk to me or distract me if they saw that I was in the middle of doing this. This is how I made sure that what you are going through right now never happened again. Anyway, you’ll probably have a temporary increase in symptoms but it shouldn’t be anything too crazy.

I've put a reminder on my calendar set to repeat every day with instructions to alter that day's entry when I take the pill, and I'm going to keep my pills next to my computer. The log book is a good idea, and I'll do that too. Thanks.