Hello

[Sa...]

I’ve been taking Valium 5mg nightly for 4 months now. I recently have changed jobs and no longer feel as stressed or anxious so I have begun skipping it here and there. I’m now experiencing chest pains and tightness. Leg pain and almost like a burning sensation in them and wondering if I’m going through benzo withdrawal? I had no idea that I would be physically addicted after 4 months and only taking this at night. Is that possible??  I’m just looking for others experiences and thoughts. The chest pains and leg pains are concerning. When I take one they completely stop. I just want to not take them anymore.

Hello Samsara99, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It certainly sounds like you're experiencing benzo withdrawal, your symptoms are textbook, I'm so sorry, I've seen people get dependent on these drugs in as little as 10 days, so you're not alone.

Even though you've only been on the Valium a short time I would suggest tapering, we typically suggest 5-10% reductions every week or two but your symptoms should guide you, you need to be functional and a slow taper is hopefully the way to achieve this.  We like to see short time users go faster but its difficult to say at 4 months how this will go for you.

I'll provide some links to get you started but please reach out to forum members to get input on their situations, we have many who have taken the drug less than 6 months so I hope you'll get responses from them.

We're glad you're here, let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)