Life gets better

[Ol...]

Hello friends

I’m am addict. Yep, alcohol, drugs both prescription and non prescription. Sixty three years old and like many have a wonderful life and family but too sedated to realize what we have.

Have mild anxiety and a touch of depression at times. Who doesn’t have anxiety with covid and all. Other life set backs set the stage for xanax addiction for the last 32 years but now I’m down to 0.5 mg. of Xanax and the world is becoming clearer and vastly better.

I began xanax when my doctor prescribed Xanax for anxiety. At that tone and now, xanax is over prescribed like candy.

Furthermore, the drug as you all know is highly addicting to someone who has an addictive personality.

Long story short I have tapered down from 2 mg. a day to 0.5 mg. per day over the past three months. Don’t kid yourself, being on 2 mg. a day is still a huge monkey on your back and reducing this garbage and destructive drug is and has not been easy!

I felt that this drug both ruled and consumed my life, Much off which was in a fog.

As I said, I am an addict, that’s the first thing we all have to acknowledge for those of you hooked. Looking back on my failures including the loss of my business, house and other setbacks could have, in my opinion, been avoided but I was too sedated to prevent them from happening. Instead of doing the right thing, I decided a pill was better. My supply of Rx xanax was always full and refills were available.

It was until earlier this year that I decided enough was enough and with my new doctor, yes new doctor because I fired one that wanted to prescribe more drugs to offset xanax withdrawal was just insane, I began slowly reducing my daily intake.

Withdrawal isn’t easy but it is very possible. Remember we are all not alone.

Slowly I’m now at a half mg. daily which frankly is nothing but as the doctor said “ there is no rush”

I highly recommend staying active. I walk six miles a day, eat well, occupy my time gardening or working around the house. Vitamins are a huge help. Ask your local pharmacist what supplements halo with withdrawals. I take vitamin C, D, Magnesium, Tumeric, Valarian Root, and others. Be kind to yourself. Meditate throughout the day and take breaks to collect your thoughts. Talk to others about anything. Talking is good. Find someone who has gone through this who you can use as a lifeline.

Each day I am feeling very good and both my mind and body are happy! I wish I had done this long ago but nibbling on a Xanax bar each day and having to carry it just reminded me of my addiction.

In a month from now I’ll be reporting back that I’m clean. Please do the same. Oh, use quality CBD, not the stuff from a gas station but a dispensary if your stare allies it. CBD helps especially at night for sleep. Sleep is important so try and get as much as you can at night. Withdrawal will possibly give you insomnia and that’s where CBD or melatonin will help.

Please be strong for our sake and get off this terrible drug! Your mind and body will thank you.

Stay safe and remember you are not alone.

Peace.

P. S. Please forgive the typos. Doing this on my iPhone

Hello Old Sal,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! It doesn't matter how people get here, in the end we're all here for support and encouragement through what can be a challenging process. I congratulate you for taking charge of your health and making changes for your future wellbeing.

You tapering pretty fast from 2mg to .5. How are you feeling?  From your post I see that you notice the haze of benzos is lightening and you see the world through different eyes these days. 

Generally a slow taper is recommended to help minimize withdrawal symptoms. We usually suggest tapering no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. For more information I'll give you a link to the Planning Your Withdrawal Board.

I see you find supplements to be helpful, that is great.  Supplements can be tricky, they work for some and not for others.

You have some very healthy alternatives to benzos in your 'pocket', that is wonderful. Finding distractions was key for me in my recovery as well.

I'll also provide a link to the Withdrawal Support Board where you can post and receive feedback from others.

You stay safe as well and we look forward to hearing more from you.  Settle in and do some reading and let us know how we can help.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

pianogirl  :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

Happy to say I’m still off xanax. Only issue is ringing in my ears, tingling in hands and feet dizziness.

I am doing well through. I appreciate the support and truly wish the same for you all. Great to have this support group!

Curious if anyone had/has similar symptoms.

Stay well everyone and stay safe.

Old Sal