Tapering "in tolerance" after 5-6 years of prescribed < .5mg -.75mg RX alprazolam for i

[Da...]

Was referred here by fellow members of Reddit sub r/ benzorecovery group.

I got terribly sick in Nov/Dec 2020 ... didn't know why, neither did anyone else including several medical pros. I brought up the possibility that it could be the alprazolam, but this was dismissed because of my "low usage".  it wasn't until after an ER visit where they'd given me liquid Clonazepam which "fixed my sickness", that I was switched to k in Feb 2021 to stablize me. I had basically quit taking the xanax, maybe a nibble or so here & there. I did not yet know about how to properly taper, and was offered no advice by my Drs. who did not really even acknowledge the issue.

My psychiatrist then prescribed .5mg 2x per day, I stupidly began my self taper in March much too aggressively and even more ignorantly up-dosed a bit in June.

I am at currently around .70mg per day, split into 3 unequal doses which I dry cut & weigh daily:

11AM, 5-6PM, 11PM

Looking for advice on a few things, particularly why eating sends my physical anxiety to unbearable levels. My CNS feels completely wrecked & I cannot formulate rational thoughts - all logic is gone. Speaking becomes a chore, I am basically non-functional.

Hello Dakotakid, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We're glad you found us, your story is unique of course because each of us are but it's also very common for those of us who will suffer from this syndrome.  In my opinion, there is no "low dose" of a benzodiazapine, anything that has the capability to change the way our brain functions isn't benign and scares me.

I'm sorry you weren't given proper taper instructions but very few medical practitioners understand what is involved and how to go about getting their patients off of these drugs but we've been around for a long time and have figured out that just about the only way is through a slow taper, this is our best chance to remain functional.

We understand your cognitive challenges, we're all currently experiencing it or have survived it like I have so you're not alone and you'll find many members discussing what foods set off their symptoms.

I'll provide you some links to get you started but feel free to explore and find what speaks to you, we're here to help.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)