How do you cope with so little sleep?

[sa...]

I'm really sensitive right now, so I don't want any horror stories.  I just want to see if anyone has anything to offer as advice for coping.  I'm in a very bad way and starting to feel extremely depressed.  Evenings are so hard because the exhaustion is getting worse but the wired feeling is always there.

Honestly I don’t know how I cope but most days I just get on with it. I just think, ok, tonight might be better. And I just do what I have to do. Until I hit a wall and need to take a unisom so I can get some sleep. It’s incredibly hard but most days I am fully functional. Just exhausted from lack of sleep.

So you just do what you gotta do.  I have such a deep fear of this type of insomnia.  I've had zero sleep in two days and I'm on my third 0 night.  I feel so helpless because OTC sleep aids do nothing for me at all.  Nothing does. 

At the beginning of all this, I was terrified. It was so bad I would take 2 rohypnol 2 zopiclone a night (drs orders) and still only get 2 hrs. (I know it’s just shocking) sometimes I get scared and I worry I’m going to die. I’m not gonna lie I do get scared sometimes. But mostly I just go, we’ll if it kills me at least I’m not waiting around for it to happen. I am fully participating in life. I’m not working yet but I’m looking for a job. But I do everything expected of me as a parent/wife/daughter/friend. I just keep trying every day.

This is just a set back because of covid isn’t it? U were sleeping well?

At the beginning of all this, I was terrified. It was so bad I would take 2 rohypnol 2 zopiclone a night (drs orders) and still only get 2 hrs. (I know it’s just shocking) sometimes I get scared and I worry I’m going to die. I’m not gonna lie I do get scared sometimes. But mostly I just go, we’ll if it kills me at least I’m not waiting around for it to happen. I am fully participating in life. I’m not working yet but I’m looking for a job. But I do everything expected of me as a parent/wife/daughter/friend. I just keep trying every day.

Yes, but because it's Covid, it adds to the anxiety.  No sleep is destructive to immunity.  So I don't know how I'm ever going to get better if I can never sleep.  I'm also worried about long haul symptoms.  I actually did manage to drop off for about an hour with the aid of a sleep hypnosis recording, but I woke at 5:00 a shaking, hot mess.  I tried to put the recording back on to maybe drop off again, but I'm too sick.  I'm shaking too much.

I know how you feel.  I just tell myself I can't do anything about it- it's out of my control, and I'll just try to control the things that I can, like my attitude (easier said than done), what I do during the day and night to distract myself, etc. 

I've also got a cold, so I know your fears about never healing bc of lack of sleep.

I know how you feel.  I just tell myself I can't do anything about it- it's out of my control, and I'll just try to control the things that I can, like my attitude (easier said than done), what I do during the day and night to distract myself, etc. 

I've also got a cold, so I know your fears about never healing bc of lack of sleep.

Good way to look at it.  Thank you for your input.

Have you considered letting a Dr know to see if they could give you something to help, so you can heal?  I know it's horrible to contemplate going on something that might/will cause more problems down the road, but"desperate times, desperate measures"...

Have you considered letting a Dr know to see if they could give you something to help, so you can heal?  I know it's horrible to contemplate going on something that might/will cause more problems down the road, but"desperate times, desperate measures"...

I'm just way too sensitive to take meds.  I've been on the med merry-go-round and everything I ever tried gave me severe side effects.  I'm thinking I might go back to using black seed oil.  I was using that because it's supposed to be active against C19.  I thought it might be contributing to panic attacks, so I stopped it.  But I'm now thinking it was the thing responsible for a two day window I had a few days ago. 

Yes, but because it's Covid, it adds to the anxiety.  No sleep is destructive to immunity.  So I don't know how I'm ever going to get better if I can never sleep.  I'm also worried about long haul symptoms.  I actually did manage to drop off for about an hour with the aid of a sleep hypnosis recording, but I woke at 5:00 a shaking, hot mess.  I tried to put the recording back on to maybe drop off again, but I'm too sick.  I'm shaking too much.

Gosh I’m so sorry for how sick u are. X so have u tried anything to help yet?

It is just a setback I’m sure and it will pass quickly but that doesn’t help right now while ur in the thick of it. Do otc antihistamines not help?

So you just do what you gotta do.  I have such a deep fear of this type of insomnia.  I've had zero sleep in two days and I'm on my third 0 night.  I feel so helpless because OTC sleep aids do nothing for me at all.  Nothing does.

I'm with you, OTC sleep aids are useless for me.  They don't make me even a tiny bit tired!

I don't even try taking anything anymore because the aggravation from it not working makes the insomnia worse.

Sending you a comforting hug, I's right there with you.

I'm with you, OTC sleep aids are useless for me.  They don't make me even a tiny bit tired!

I don't even try taking anything anymore because the aggravation from it not working makes the insomnia worse.

Sending you a comforting hug, I's right there with you.

Right back at you ((((((widesky)))))).  We need hugs all around.  What a sorry lot.  Or I guess you could look at it the other way and realize that we are some of the strongest people in the world to endure this day after day. 

Hi Sage,

I feel your pain of taking OTC sleep aids and it seems like nothing helps. I have had over a hundred 0 to 2 hour nights and I am not as strong as Shayna. I am useless when I have had 2 hours of sleep. I am SO tired. I can barely even focus on the TV. My sleep has been slightly better lately, but I don't know if it will last since healing is not linear.

I have seen enough that I believe we will all heal. I still take my nightly stack of AH's, melatonin and CBD. I don't know if it's helping but I am afraid not to take it, so I do.

Hope for all of us that sleep improves soon.

Have a great Monday, everyone,

HM

Hi Sage,

I feel your pain of taking OTC sleep aids and it seems like nothing helps. I have had over a hundred 0 to 2 hour nights and I am not as strong as Shayna. I am useless when I have had 2 hours of sleep. I am SO tired. I can barely even focus on the TV. My sleep has been slightly better lately, but I don't know if it will last since healing is not linear.

I have seen enough that I believe we will all heal. I still take my nightly stack of AH's, melatonin and CBD. I don't know if it's helping but I am afraid not to take it, so I do.

Hope for all of us that sleep improves soon.

Have a great Monday, everyone,

HM

I got a tip from my mom yesterday that you have to take melatonin right at sunset, not at bedtime, in order for it to work.  I did that, and miraculously slept through the night. Not to say it will keep working. But I thought this might help you too?  Hope so. 

I'm like you, not strong after no sleep.  It is nearly impossible for me to push through it. 

Interesting.  I'm glad you slept through the night! 

The bottle I have says take an hour before bed, but then I realized I feel sleepiest a half hour after taking it so started that.  I'll have to try the sunset timing next time.

Melatonin used to work beautifully for me before I ever took Xanax and I took it about 15 to 20 minutes before bed. It even helped with my anxiety. Those were the days. I'll keep your tip in mind, Sage. Congrats on a full nights sleep! I hope it's the first of many.

HM

You are so lucky you slept!  I haven’t slept in 4 days and am panicking.  I got off my benzo almost 3 years ago but got put on mertazepine while tapering my benzo because of insomnia.  It helped a ton, and I’ve been slowly tapering off that now.  Well I don’t know what happened, but out of no where no sleep…zero not one minute, can’t even nap!

I’m going to try your moms idea and try melatonin at sundown.  Hope it helps like it did for you.

You are so lucky you slept!  I haven’t slept in 4 days and am panicking.  I got off my benzo almost 3 years ago but got put on mertazepine while tapering my benzo because of insomnia.  It helped a ton, and I’ve been slowly tapering off that now.  Well I don’t know what happened, but out of no where no sleep…zero not one minute, can’t even nap!

I’m going to try your moms idea and try melatonin at sundown.  Hope it helps like it did for you.

I hope it helps you! My dad went through the exact same thing as you.  Tapered his benzo and then got put on mirtazepine to help him sleep.  Poor guy got off his benzo in decent shape and now he's have a terrible time tapering the M.  Can't seem to make any progress without terrible symptoms.

I was put on Mertazipine and it made me tired for an hour after I took it and then I'd shoot awake with insomnia again. M also made me crazy.  Thankfully I only took it a few weeks, still had a terrible few days getting off of it. 

My Dr. prescribed mirtazapine for sleep a couple months ago and it did nothing. My sleep has gotten a little better, so maybe it would help now. It's hard saying. I went to trazodone and I keep taking it because it helps with depression.

HM

I read somewhere that Professor Ashton told Baylissa regarding one of her clients that was so distraught about not sleeping that she should not be making herself more anxious about not sleeping but rather to see it that for whatever reason the healing that needs to happen right now has to happen while she is awake. Something like that. And also that you are getting the micro sleeps even when you don't know it and that is keeping you alive. You will still heal even on little sleep. I like to visualize a construction site in my brain.... I visualize the lights (grow lights) on the GABA receptors who have been planted like a seed and then I see a little man with a hard hat and a chisel going to town on pruning back the Glutamate.... then I see another crew working on the hormones and directing traffic. I know the sleep comes when the glutamate is pruned back more.

I am with you in spirit and my sleep is coming back after a couple of months of what felt like zero sleep. ZERO. I suppose there were micros happening but the hardest thing about no sleep is the lack of relief from symptoms. Your sleep will come.

I read somewhere that Professor Ashton told Baylissa regarding one of her clients that was so distraught about not sleeping that she should not be making herself more anxious about not sleeping but rather to see it that for whatever reason the healing that needs to happen right now has to happen while she is awake. Something like that. And also that you are getting the micro sleeps even when you don't know it and that is keeping you alive. You will still heal even on little sleep. I like to visualize a construction site in my brain.... I visualize the lights (grow lights) on the GABA receptors who have been planted like a seed and then I see a little man with a hard hat and a chisel going to town on pruning back the Glutamate.... then I see another crew working on the hormones and directing traffic. I know the sleep comes when the glutamate is pruned back more.

I am with you in spirit and my sleep is coming back after a couple of months of what felt like zero sleep. ZERO. I suppose there were micros happening but the hardest thing about no sleep is the lack of relief from symptoms. Your sleep will come.

I love that visualization that you do! That's wonderful, and it can actually be so positive and healing to do that.  I think what most of us tend to do is negative visualization (worry), and we need to try to turn that around.  I do try to comfort myself with the thought that my brain won't let itself die of sleep deprivation.  I do feel the microsleeps. 

I actually slept well last night.  Hoping for more of that.

I hope microsleeps are real. Some nights are really hard. Some nights I KNOW I am awake. I can see the clock and I can feel it. Other nights, I might drop off for a half an hour here or there and not realize it. It's hard to tell all the time.

Almost bedtime for me! Wish me luck!

HM