Valium relief weekend

[...]

Would appreciate some input. I am currently on an Ativan taper since June from 3mg of Ativan.

I used the Ativan 1 mg/day in April, 2mg/day in May, and 3mg for only 2 weeks in June and started tapering mid June, I’m down to .375mg and having a very difficult time I know from going too fast.

My doc is very sympathetic and wants me to relieve my suffering for a brief time by having me take 5mg of Valium twice a day for the weekend and then evaluating how I adjust to it and then having me start tapering the Valium at some point. He said I can always go back to the Ativan if it doesn’t agree with me since it’s only for a weekend. I am reluctant based on what I’ve read on bb and my own cannon sense but thought I’d post anyway. I don’t want to be set back after all the suffering I’ve had since the dose he’s giving me is equal to 1 mg Ativan per the Ashton manual.

Valium can take weeks to build up in your blood, it's a very slow acting drug, this is why it's so good for tapering, it stays in your system longer which makes the tapering process smoother.

When crossing over to Valium you withdraw some of the Ativan while adding the Valium, this process can take weeks because if you don't allow enough time for the Valium to build up you're going to suffer withdrawal symptoms from the Ativan before the Valium has enough time to cover the deficit.

Going on Valium for a weekend isn't likely to provide you any relief.  My suggestion would be to slow your taper down, rushing this process makes it more painful and when you're completely off the Ativan your body still has healing to do.

I wish your doctor understood how Valium works, have you seen the Ashton schedules, she developed them for a reason.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

Appreciate the reply. I told him about the crossover process but he says he’s been successful in converting people on small doses over by just starting them on it. I think I’m just going to continue tapering the Ativan. I am having a very hard time and feeling very hopeless. 3 months of suffering has worn me out. Depression and anxiety has been overwhelming. I can’t watch tv or even listen to conversations without getting anxious. I was hoping being down to .375 it wud get easier but not the case. Another weird thing is when I take my morning dose .125mg I feel worse. I’ve been cutting .125 after 2 weeks on the last two cuts. Guess I’ll have to slow it down.

Isn't it awful that the things we've used in the past to distract aren't available to us while going through this?  Think of all of the mindless hours we've spent in front of the TV, wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to pass the time with that now?  I couldn't watch TV either, the content disturbed me and I couldn't sit still, I'm sorry its this way for you too.

Your doctor may have been successful with others using this method but we're all so different, if you did decide to take the Valium I wouldn't stop the Ativan for fear of being left high and dry but of course that would mean you'd be up-dosing.

I've seen many members describe the drug making them feel worse, how many times a day are you dosing?  It would be helpful if you put your medication information in your signature so we can see at a glance where you are, here are the instructions. Add your history/signature 

Please taper according to your symptoms, they should be guiding you, not a timetable that doesn't work for everyone.

It’s weird also I feel almost normal late evening to the middle of the night 11pm -3am

Most of our members feel better in the evenings, morning anxiety is rough, many say it has something to do with cortisol surges upon awakening and throughout the morning.

I have a question if u don’t mind. Is it possible that getting off the medicine sooner can heal faster because the med cud b making me more sick?

No, I don't believe it will help.  In my experience reading on the forum when members are suffering with each reduction the best thing for them is to slow down, make the reductions smaller and wait longer between them.  Rapid tapers just make it hurt more on the way down, with more suffering once off the drug.  Taking your time allows your brain to heal on the way so that when you're finally off the drug there isn't as much healing to do.

I know it seems counter-intuitive to keep taking this awful drug but tapering has a purpose, its used to be able to live your life while you get off of the drug.  If you go to quickly or quit cold turkey its difficult to function and as I said, it doesn't aid in recovery.  You can taper slowly and hopefully be almost healed once off the drug or taper quickly and do most of the healing after you're done, both ways stink but the slow taper may help you function as you do it.  Tapering also gives you ways to mitigate the pain by altering your taper process, once off the drug you're at the mercy of your symptoms.

Thank you that does make sense it’s been very hard for me not to keep tapering, it doesn’t seem like I ever get to a feeling good leveling. So much depression and anxiety is agony.

That’s why the Valium is so tempting i am 8 days from my last taper and am still suffering immensely

Forcing myself to eat has been hard and losing my muscle mass and healthy body on top of it.

Thanks again for your input and being sympathetic

I'm in awe of people who can taper this drug, to willingly invite the pain of each cut time and time again and to continue taking this drug knowing its the reason for your misery takes such strength, determination and commitment, you're amazing.

I'm glad you're forcing yourself to eat, it's important you keep up your strength, what tools are you using to distract yourself from your symptoms?  Do you feel the Mirtazapine is helping you, what dose are you on? 

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I have tried very hard to keep up the fight but I am getting very worn out. I retired in May so it is very hard for me to stay distracted. I am naturally obsessive and ruminate on everything unfortunately. This may sound weird but since I’ve been in withdrawal I get anxious from everything, I can’t be distracted by casual conversation; anything being discussed other than my problem makes me depressed and anxious. So this whole thing is all I think about. I’ve tried having friends over but it doesn’t work either

I have to push myself to workout and have anxiety and depression the whole time for the most part.

I’ve read about tools to distract but nothing seems to work for me. I’ve researched everything there is on this stuff, and read a lot on this forum;

I’m on mirt 30mg, not really helping with sleep or eating anymore, every now and then I get hungry in the middle of the night. I don’t really know if it’s blocking any of the depression or anxiety. I want to go down on it and go off but I’m afraid of added withdrawl. I’ve been on 7.5 for 2 months then upped to 15mg for 2 weeks, and now on 30mg for about 3.5 weeks.

I understand about the distraction, when I was recovering I kept busy but felt my symptoms every second of every day.  I remember not feeling any symptoms one time when I stopped traffic to rescue a dog and my one window which only lasted a few seconds but the rest of the time, they were with me.  I couldn't converse with others easily either, it was difficult to speak let alone enjoy engaging with others.  We lose our sense of self which makes it even more difficult to connect with others.  Keeping busy just makes the time go by, but it's so much better than sitting in a room thinking only about how miserable you are.

I'm concerned your Mirtazapine increases are putting extra strain on your sensitive central nervous system, many members have mentioned reactions to medication and supplements while going through this. Is your doctor directing these increases, if you feel they're not helping can you hold off increasing anymore for a little while, see if things level off for you while you hold your next Ativan reduction?

Hey Joeb.  I tapered ativan over a two month period last oct/nov 2020.  Two things I learned from that experience:

1.  Ativan is short acting and I developed interdose withdrawals. I didnt feel better until I moved to taking it 4 times a day (same daily dose but split 4 ways).  I wished I had crossed over to valium to taper but didnt really understand any of that back then.  Getting my 4x a day dosage was really difficult.

2.  I had a really fast taper, 2 months.  It was hell.  If I could do it over again I would have taken it really slow.  As slow as a year, maybe more.  I am suffering today, I think, because I just went way too fast.  I knew at the time I was going to fast but just wanted to stop taking the poison as soon as I could.  10 months later I am still not feeling great.

You can and will get though this!  Distraction is key. 

joeB

im in agreement with Pam and slow here ---- I think doing valium for a weekend will do nothing but potentially further confuse your sensitized nervous system.  you were increasing mirtazapine while decreasing Ativan -- so you've got your system coming and going and I think right now it just needs to have you stop in place for a while if you can stand it. 

you aren't going to feel better immediately but that isn't because of what you are putting in -- its because of what has been taken out and changed and moved around ----

our CNS need stability -- do you feel you can just hold your taper - dose the Ativan three times a day and leave the mirtazapine where it is and give yourself a good 4-5 weeks?

I am also on mirt- - 15mg and once you've been on it for even a few weeks it is a med that needs to be tapered - just like a benzo - so don't listen to your docs about dropping down to 22.5 or 15 or 7.5 -- -that will only serve to make you feel worse

I think you feel so much depression/anxiety because of all the changes

Hi joeb,

I began my taper a bit lower than yours (0.1667mg of Lorazepam). I began with a liquid daily micro taper decreasing by 0.001667 mg per day. When I got down to 0.1mg, I slowed things down to decreasing by 0.001mg per day. I'm glad I did it. As you go down, I think slowing down the rate makes for an easier taper.

I have not had any tough WD symptoms - on a scale of 1-10, I don't think I have had anything above a 1/10. If I did have more, it wasn't for very long or very bothersome. Yes, you are going to know you are withdrawing, but it should not be dreadful if you do go slowly. Of course for some people it is still quite harsh, but I think even then, slower is better.

I held quite recently for 3 days just to check to see if I should slow down, my system said it wasn't needed. I am not sorry I tired an experimental hold. This is not a race, no magical date when you have to be done. I hope you decide to be kinder to yourself and give slowing down a try. While I can't promise it will be better, I think the odds are it will be.

Many people, including me believe that your functionality is the thing to focus on rather than an end date.

Pamster is right about crossing over to Valium, I tried that in the very beginning and hated it. Now that I know more, I understand that Valium does not kick in right away, I began from too low a dose to make it very possible as well. I'm glad that I stayed on a drug I know and understand. I did split my doses up to avoid inter-dose withdrawal and it has worked well for me. 

I hope you feel better soon, just wanted to add my agreement to what the others are saying.