10 pills of 0.5 mg Ativan over the course of 2 months

[...]

Just like the title says. Got prescribed 0.5 mg Ativan / Lorazepam — 10 pills in July for anxiety as needed. Took about 2 last week for panic attacks.

Thought I’m feeling alcohol withdrawals… but now I’m thinking it’s something else - 4th day of crippling anxiety and weird agitation. Took another 4 pills this week to relieve the symptoms but then discovered that it could be withdrawals.

Getting woken up at night by mini panic attacks. What do you think will happen next? I’m thinking c/t and ride it out considering low dose and short term.

Hello kzw, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It sure sounds like you're experiencing tolerance to the Ativan, I've seen dependence happen in as little as 10 days so it's possible your body has become dependent.  You mention alcohol withdrawal, benzo's work on the same part of the brain as alcohol so if you're dealing with this then it could explain why you're feeling as you are.

We don't typically recommend cold turkey because it can be painful and dangerous but your short time and sporadic use would make you a good candidate for it.  It's not going to be pleasant but most likely your best course of action.

I'll give you some links to the forum so you can get other opinions, we have many short term members who have faced this decision.

Pamster

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I was on Temazepam for 21 days and did CT.  been off now for about 76 days with insomnia, tinnitus and headaches lingering.  First two weeks were rough but manageable post thereafter.  Given the short time I was on and even though I am not healed 100%, I think CT was the best option for me.

While it certainly could be benzo related, is there any chance that it's simply a return or continuance of the issues that led to starting the ativan in the first place?  Regardless, good luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

While it certainly could be benzo related, is there any chance that it's simply a return or continuance of the issues that led to starting the ativan in the first place?  Regardless, good luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

That's what I originally thought... hence taking more lorazepam! But then started to notice very different symptoms: gurgling stomach, tinnitus, insomnia, constant agitation. Original symptoms were relatively mild -- a rare panic attack with elevated heartbeat.

This week so far has been pretty crippling and I'm both scared and hopeful it will stop soon.

Once we become dependent on the drug it begins to cause the issues we took it to fix, but about a 100 times worse and what you're describing sure sounds like withdrawal symptoms.  I hope you can hold out and not take any more but I know it's miserable, I quit cold turkey too.  I just don't see a way for you to go back on the drug and taper if you were taking it for such a short time and so inconsistently.

If you can't endure this then I'd recommend finding the lowest dose you can take daily so you can function, take it for a week or so and then begin a taper, but I have to warn you, tapers hurt too and this will prolong your time on the drug.  There is no easy way out for those of us who will suffer from this, the only way out is through.

Here's the summary:

I got Ativan prescribed for anxiety. 0.5 mg dose. Had a panic attack in July and took the pill -- worked really well! Had a few more attacks in July -- once again -- worked like a charm. Took one before going to the dentist as well. Everything is fine so it seems.

Here's when the horror starts:

Had another panic attack last Thursday -- took a 0.5 mg dose.

Sunday - another panic! 0.5 mg again.

On Monday, feeling super panicky again took another 0.5, then drank a ton.

Tuesday -- after what I thought was a hangover from labor day party, another 0.5.

Then wednesday got hit with the worst dreadful persistent day-long anxiety... -- took 0.25, since I'm about to run out.

Went to sleep -- usually sleep 8 hours like a baby -- but this time I kept waking up with these mini panic attacks / jolts.

Thursday -- once again feeling the worst I've ever felt, but pushed through without taking the drug.

Once again, couldn't sleep.

Yesterday -- another worst day of my life -- pushed it through again.

Today -- yet another worst day of my life (so far). Nothing I do gives me joy anymore. Speech is slurred. Stomach is constantly bubbling. Some electricity tingling and rushing through my body periodically. Always thirsty. Can't concentrate on anything. Had a panic attack this morning but walked it off. Trying mindfulness exercises, distractions, valerian root, etc...

I'm dreading the next few hours and going to sleep but I'm hoping with all my heart that this might pass quickly.

Wow, your case is extreme but not unheard of, I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I'm glad you're recognizing this for what it is, the Ativan isn't the miracle drug you were hoping for, I feel so bad for you.  Your symptoms are extreme so while we typically see those on the drug for only a short time recover faster than the long term users, this could take a little while. 

This doesn't mean your symptoms will be this intense the whole time, they'll lessen but your mind will try to trick you, it will try to keep you thinking negative thoughts so please track your symptoms and their severity in a journal, this will help you to see you are recovering.  Our healing isn't linear and it's terribly frustrating but it happens and your short time on the drug makes me hopeful for you.

Alcohol right now isn't a good idea and it sounds like you've already figured this out but you're now reaching for the right tools, distraction and mindfulness.  I found walking helpful too, I couldn't sit still so I kept as busy as I could by doing projects around the house and yard, anything to take my mind off of my symptoms.

I hope you'll keep reaching out to us, we understand what you're going through. 

KZW  If your experience becomes similar to mine, the significant symptoms may subside after the first two weeks.

I had major stomach gurgling along with stomach pain of which I lost 18 pounds (and I am not overweight), extreme anxiety and was not able to sleep at all, back aches, eye twitching, sensitivity to light, dry eyes and headaches.  Now 80 days post CT, I am sleeping (although broken) around 5 hours nightly, low grade headaches and tinnitus of which all are manageable.  I understand how one wants to put a timeline on the healing process but everyone is different and it takes time.  During the first two weeks, I had thought about going back on an tapering method but decided against this due to how short of a time I was on.  In hindsight, I think my decision was a good one for me.  For me, daily walking two miles and eating healthy, unprocessed foods seems to be helping me.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update after about a month...

Definitely feel better... slowly, but the funk is still real. First week and a half was absolute hell.

Things that got better:

- Anxiety is just "flutters" that come and go throughout the day. No or rare panic attacks. No more tingling hands and feet.

- Heart rate is low, even during episodes of anxiety.

- Blood pressure is normal

- No more GI issues - stomach feels relatively fine

- No more depression or super high "100x coffee" agitation / akathisia. Still slightly restlress

- No more waking up with a panic attack / cortisol flush. Sleep is still fragmented and I still wake up in the middle of the night to some agitation. Sleep 9pm - 5am most nights.

- Mood is stable - no depression or major mood swings

- Appetite is back

- Lost 13 pounds

- Akathisia is better -- don't have to fidget or shake my leg all the time

New things / worse things:

- Tinnitus! Mild and on and off... got better now.

- Headaches - almost daily for the last 8 days. Dull and "head pressure" style

- Visual snow and floaters! Appeared at week 3, still there and it's very annoying.

- Fatigue - I am super tired all the time.

- Brain fog - can't concentrate on work... 10% productive basically. But it's improving.

- Mood is meh but I don't really expect to feel exuberant for a while, haha

Thank you @Newbie2Temaz. We are almost the same in terms of routine and symptoms. I'm walking for 5 miles every morning and cycling a few days a week.

I'm grateful I haven't lost my spirit in the face of all this.

Tinnitus and headaches are the two that followed my first couple of really bad weeks.  Still have broken sleep but is manageable.  Our timeline sounds somewhat familiar.  What I am thinking for me is that these symptoms may be around for awhile but are very manageable.  I am owning my circumstances and trying to stay positive.  As I am going to stay off of daily reading through BB post as they sometimes take away from my trying to stay positive, feel free to PM me any time.  Best wishes on your own personal journey.

Yeah I was afraid coming back after spending the first few days browsing the forum and getting very very scared, but wanted to check in and post progress.

I'm probably not finding too many short term progress updates or healing success stories because folks probably don't come back here after they feel grounded/healed enough.